Vola Guitars - What do you know?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard back in the day it was some kind of result from a fire/burn I think

I guess these get pretty hot.

BURNING-SUGAR-GIF.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FYI, there is a 10% discount code for Black Friday period. Although it's not exactly "half off", the guitars are already extremely competitively priced.
Снимок экрана 2023-11-21 в 18.53.18.png

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I love that! $1749 too... Wonder how it compares to the RG5xxx range...

Interestingly, in the video the guy says the different voices of the pickups are accessible through the 5 way switch, with the push pull volume being used for single coil tones. However the website says the opposite - ordinary 5 way layout and push pull for voicing.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I like it, although I found it odd that Keene himself didn't actually appear in the video to present it. I feel like he's barely been apart of this thing.

Side note, is that new heel coming to all models? That was one of my biggest gripes with Vola.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
There are some YouTube shorts of Keene and his moustache playing the instrument.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the inlay, but I hated the clear pickguard and 'eye' inlay on the previous model.

I want this, and at £1790 or so with free shipping, its really tempting. But something is putting me off. Maybe the fact I could make an RG version of this out of parts for less. I don't think this looks "special" enough to tempt me away from the usual suspects.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've seen worse 12th-fret inlays.

I'm also glad to see they ditched the pickguards. Looks like the color is closer to his old Washburn too. Less toxic waste green and more highlighter green

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the inlay, but I hated the clear pickguard and 'eye' inlay on the previous model.

I want this, and at £1790 or so with free shipping, its really tempting. But something is putting me off. Maybe the fact I could make an RG version of this out of parts for less. I don't think this looks "special" enough to tempt me away from the usual suspects.
You need an Ibanez signature series guitar to be able to compare it to a signature series Vola. I had the mean green RGR5227MFX, which is among the better Prestiges out there. After a year of back to back playing, I can easily say that Vola OZ7RVRF has better playability, fit and finish. It was not night and day, but the MSRP was.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
That's interesting to hear! So what it I'm perceiving as lacking in terms of specs, is more than made up for by quality?... Interesting...

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's interesting to hear! So what it I'm perceiving as lacking in terms of specs, is more than made up for by quality?... Interesting...
Yeah, I suppose. Frets, fretboards and pickups, right? There are models with stainless frets. And while I love ebony fretboards, I don't care for branded pickps even on high end guitars. Quite a few reputable brands, from Schecter and Kiesel to Mayones and Suhr, already come with great in-hose pickups. Pickups is not a rocket science and most important is the build quality. The rest you can handle down the signal chain. I only swapped Vola's pickups for EMG because I love the active circuitry at the very beginning of the signal chain. I wouldn't bother swapping for other passives - Vola's pickups are good.

')