Volumes Influence Test Mix (Crit Please) \m/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
Nice job, man! I can't really offer any criticism, but it sounds good to me. I dig Volumes, too. They get a fair bit of shit around here (IMO kind of deserve it for the new album) but they just groove so hard, and are incredible live. Anyway, cool riffage, good mix, I think you have yourself a keeper.

savanderbok

Stay Metal \m/
Reaction score
Nice job, man! I can't really offer any criticism, but it sounds good to me. I dig Volumes, too. They get a fair bit of shit around here (IMO kind of deserve it for the new album) but they just groove so hard, and are incredible live. Anyway, cool riffage, good mix, I think you have yourself a keeper.

Thanks man! Cool to hear. I've got to agree with you that their new album was a bit disappointing, but they never fail to hit hard live. \m/

markerece

Reaction score

Really? that's odd, I think the mix for their new album is awesome. Everything just punches so hard.

Anywho, as for criticism, (of course this is all my taste):

The guitars to me sound a bit disjointed from the bass guitar. This could either be because the guitar is too concentrated in the mid/high mids, or the bass doesn't reach high up enough to touch the guitar. This is something I struggle with myself because if you reach low on guitar you get low mid muddiness if you're not careful. I've been trying to futz around with bass tone to reach up because i've gotten closer? I guess?

The cymbals sound a little too bright for me, maybe a little too loud, too. So maybe lower 5k-ish up and/or lower the volume of your overheads

Overall, I like the direction you're going with your mix. It's nice and heavy and I think it's pretty balanced in relation to fader, just might need some EQ work. Also, I love what's going on there with the lead starting at 0:55, wish it was louder cause it sounds awesome, but I think it fits more at that volume.

savanderbok

Stay Metal \m/
Reaction score
Really? that's odd, I think the mix for their new album is awesome. Everything just punches so hard.

Anywho, as for criticism, (of course this is all my taste):

The guitars to me sound a bit disjointed from the bass guitar. This could either be because the guitar is too concentrated in the mid/high mids, or the bass doesn't reach high up enough to touch the guitar. This is something I struggle with myself because if you reach low on guitar you get low mid muddiness if you're not careful. I've been trying to futz around with bass tone to reach up because i've gotten closer? I guess?

The cymbals sound a little too bright for me, maybe a little too loud, too. So maybe lower 5k-ish up and/or lower the volume of your overheads

Overall, I like the direction you're going with your mix. It's nice and heavy and I think it's pretty balanced in relation to fader, just might need some EQ work. Also, I love what's going on there with the lead starting at 0:55, wish it was louder cause it sounds awesome, but I think it fits more at that volume.

Thanks for the advice man! It's always been in the back of my mind that the cymbals might be too loud/harsh, but I'll get on that. I'll try and look at the relation between my guitars and bass more too.

As far as the Volumes comment, I'm a huge fan of the mix in the new album, it just seemed to lack musically for me. Via was a monster of a record for me, so I could just be a little bias because it's not the same. But nevertheless, No Sleep is still a good album.

MrSleepwalker

Reaction score
Sounds tight, it reminded me "Ivy and wine" by GC somehow :D

Latest posts

')