VSK Guitars Build - INSANE WOODS!

JMO831

Reaction score
Plain and simple, Brett of VSK Guitars is one of the best luthiers out there. Take it from someone who owns/has owned/played a number of high-end guitars including Blackmachine, Vik, Black Water, Mayones, Suhr, and Skervesen.

This particular build has been in the idea phase for quite some time. I wanted to combine my ideal specs for a 6 string with the most insane woods I could find. And let me tell you, these woods go beyond "private stock." See for yourself:

Brown Mallee Top

Flamed Redwood Body

Marbled Cocobolo Fretboard

Macassar Ebony Neck (A)

Specs include:
6 string, 25.5 scale, 20 inch radius, bolt-on
Gold hipshot tuners & black SK1 buttons
SS extra jumbo frets
Instrumental SFTY3-6 set
Gold Schaller Hannes bridge
1 volume (push-pull) & 3-way switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hywel

Reaction score
All those woods look amazing, but that fretboard... :yum:

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
Brett has a line on great woods for his guitars. I initially wanted an ebony fretboard for mine but he talked me into one of the coolest pieces of rosewood I've seen.

JMO831

Reaction score
Brett has a line on great woods for his guitars. I initially wanted an ebony fretboard for mine but he talked me into one of the coolest pieces of rosewood I've seen.

Closely following your thread man! It's looking SICK right now. :hbang:

Btw, I'm selling a Mayones Duvell MBC to help fund this build lol... If that is any indication of Brett's skill, you're going to be very happy with your build!

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Another stunning build as usual by one of the top new luthiers.
Subbed.

JMO831

Reaction score
Hello All!

I've formally confirmed this build with Brett of VSK Guitars. Meaning, the deposit is in, the woods have been paid off and delivered to Brett, the pickups (Instrumental SFTY3-6 Master Build Pickup Set by Ethan Spaulding) are being made, and the hardware is in the process of being ordered. Here are some of the ideas I wanted to share with you all. Any feedback on additions/etc. is much appreciated! There isn't really a budget for this instrument. I greatly value any suggestions you all may have.

Body Shape: Brett's own design. It's based on a bass design, but I love the general shape and rounded edges. Brett and I are currently working on a "swooping" headstock that will match perfectly.

Instrumental SFTY3-6 Master Build Pickup Set: If you haven't heard of Instrumental Pickups, please check them out. In very simple terms, the SFTY3 series is like a set of BKP Painkillers on steroids but with a very nice, useable clean sound. The attached photo is just an example. We will be doing Macassar Ebony covers to match the neck with gold death poles. Death poles are the spikes Ethan uses. Classy but edgy. And this black and gold contrast will be dominant throughout the guitar. I think it looks very classy in its own right but when paired with the colors of the woods, it will look absolutely stunning. Black and gold pickups, bridge and tuners (will be shown below).

Gold Schaller Hannes Bridge: Please note that I'm also getting a gold rear mounting bracket. It's all in the details.

Tuners: I don't know why I don't see more SK1 buttons being used on Hipshot Grip-Lock tuners. Again, the color scheme is going to pop with these tuners, the bridge, and the pickups all working in concert. I'd opt for EVO Gold fretwork to finish off the look, but I love stainless steel frets too much.

Headstock Design (Front): The photo below doesn't represent how the actual headstock on this build is going to look. But rather, the way the woods are split is going to be applied to this build's headstock. The Brown Mallee Burl top is oversized, so we'll be using an insane piece of that along with a piece of the fretboard.

Headstock Design (Back): Thinking of using another piece of that Brown Mallee Burl top for the rear of the headstock (like what Kiesel does).

Complete Specs (Photos attached below):

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
That is going to be nuts dude!!!! I'm a big fan of having a back plate on headstocks.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Instrumental Pickups are completely awesome. A little steep for me but I'd definitely put them in a guitar once I have more disposable income. Brian is super nice and responds fast to queries on FB or IG.

JMO831

Reaction score
Hey guys -

So, I wasn't really pleased with the curly redwood body in terms of figure. As such, I'm upgrading the curly redwood body to this master grade one-piece quilt maple body.

This build is going to be next level.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I was drooling over that piece when I saw it last night, good choice!!!!!!!

Latest posts

')