VST Plugins Thread

• Thread starter spn_phoenix_92
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
I couldn't seem to find a thread for this kind of thing except for people looking for 1 specific thing, so I thought of making one where you post some good ones you know of, & a sample if you have one. To start off here's a good free music box one I got last night & made the intro to a new song I'm working on.

Music Box Plugin

Here's what I just came up with using it
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/spn_phoenix_92/untitled-music-box-intro[/SC]

I have a LOT of VST's I mess around with, when I can remember where I got them all I'll post my favorites along with samples.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Here's a bunch:

Sound library: Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra

VSTi player for the sounds: sforzando :: Free SFZ Player - PLOGUE | Music Software | Developers

Stillwell has free 100% working trials of all plugins: Stillwell Plugins Archive - Stillwell Audio Stillwell Audio

The ones I use are the 1973 eq and The Rocket.

Variety of Sound makes great plugins:
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

The Density compressor and Tessla and Ferric tape sims see the most use for me.

Great compressor with character: https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/

All of the native Reaper plugs for free: REAPER | ReaPlugs

ReaVerb impulse loader and ReaEq are great low cpu workhorses.

Bricasti M7 reverb impulses for ReaVerb (or any other impulse verb loader)
Samplicity's Bricasti M7 Impulse Response Library v1.1 - Samplicity

TAL Dub-II is a sweet sounding delay:
TAL - Togu Audio Line: TAL-Dub

Simple low cpu compressors and limiters:
GVST

A good tuner: http://www.samplerchan.com/

Synths:

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
While not free, nor cheap, I've been loving the softube plugins as well as console 1. They've made my life so much easier.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
@col The first 2 you mentioned are great, I've used them on multiple occasions :hbang:

While it's not free, I also love Magnus Choir. It's only $40 but you can do so much for the price. The demo version lets you use all the features, but it's got a timed beep every 10 seconds which is really annoying, but that way you can kinda see what all you can do with it before purchasing it.

Magnus Choir VSTi v1.6 - Software Plugin by Syntheway Virtual Musical Instruments. Virtual Choir VST Plugin

Magnus choir is actually really darn powerful for what it is. It was one I used to use a lot. Sadly, I've not found proper use for choirs in songs lately :(

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
While their customer service could stand to improve, I still absolutely love my Arturia Analog Experience, The Laboratory 49 package.

Simply the best sounding, and easiest to manipulate analog synths with the support and blessing of the original manufacturers that I've heard to date.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
While their customer service could stand to improve, I still absolutely love my Arturia Analog Experience, The Laboratory 49 package.

Simply the best sounding, and easiest to manipulate analog synths with the support and blessing of the original manufacturers that I've heard to date.

Been that way for a LONG time. I don't have a personal axe to grind, but their CS is really bad.

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
The Metric Halo Channel strip is on sale for $75 from $179 and it's a great plug in.
Clean, flexible EQ, different flavor compressors (from smacky to gentle), gate, limiter, the works. Very useful and one of my fav, especially for the price.

Steve-Om

Reaction score

Please accept my gratitude for this fine contribution :yesway:

This will help thicken up the stuff I've been writing :metal:

Shall I throw something in here as well? This page has TONS of free VST's of any kind. Modulations, compressors, delays, reverbs, eqs..

Bedroom Producers Blog - Freeware For Musicians!

This is where I came across the very good Variety Of Sound plugins. The NastyDLA is a very nice tape delay/modulation effect and the also very good ThrillseekerVBL, this one is a "vintage broadcast limiter".

I hope this helps.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
The guitar tones for the song in my signature was made with all LePou plugins, with a redwirez impulse. I've recently started using Jamup and BIAS on my iPhone, however. But I'm still happy with how that song came out! I also can vouch for Magnus choir, and I like using the Glitch 2 VST (not free but affordable) for cool glitch sounds you'd hear from artists like telefon tel aviv

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
I use a bunch of HG-Fortune plugins for ambient add-ins in songs:

I have too many to justify posting every single demo video :lol: they were all free, luckily. HG thankfully posts old plugins for free. But the demos are just as good too, they don't have any annoying clicking or beeping. I can't actually figure out what separates them from the paid versions :scratch:

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I can't recommend Piano One enough as mentioned above. Absolutely gorgeous samples and while it requires some tweaking, it's fantastic for a free VST. I prefer it over most paid piano samples, and with the velocity around ~70, it's beautiful.

My own contributions would be:

OMB1 Bass. It's free and with a lot of work, I've gotten it to sound great even as low as drop Ab. I run it through an X1000 with some Ampeg impulses through Poulin LeCab2, and it gets a massive, beefy thick tone that surpasses any actual bass I've worked with. Then again, it's not like I'm working with a dingwall through a darkglass.

However, for free this is a great bass setup if you don't have a better alternative.

Also I feel like there's something to be said for Glaceverb. It produces some really great ambient reverbs that fill up a mix and definitely add a great atmosphere. As the name implies, it's great for getting a "cold" feel to the music but it's also great for filling up a warm space with some tweaks.

For all other reverbs, I'd use ReaVerb with some plates, etc.. Simple but effective.

For limiters, I think I used this link. I've found I'm very partial to Loudmax and Lookahead. Loudmax is transparent, and Lookahead is great if you're into that sound that sounds like you're gonna break your audio system :lol:

All of the aforementioned have been used in my mix found here if you're interested in a demo: https://soundcloud.com/monroe-vallejo/nasa

Enjoy!

col

blah.
Reaction score
+1 on GlaceVerb, it's really a fantastic plugin for a freebie!

Here's more of ambient weirdness:

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
+1 on GlaceVerb, it's really a fantastic plugin for a freebie!

Here's more of ambient weirdness:

I've actually been screwing around with that one too :lol:

I have this huge stockpile of ambient vsts that are super fun to screw around with but rarely get used in a song :rofl:

col

blah.
Reaction score
I've actually been screwing around with that one too :lol:

I have this huge stockpile of ambient vsts that are super fun to screw around with but rarely get used in a song :rofl:

That's true! You should try out a Minibrute or an MS-20, tweaking those is even more fun than soft synths. Usually I end up with sounds that are quite far from anything that resembles music though. :lol:

Fionn

Reaction score
This synth is badass and free
Crystal VST Instrument

I've just been on a free vst hunt, got new PC, mbox didn't work so I've gone with reaper and hence the free vst hunt. I'll post a few more later bit busy right now.

Second the variety of sound plugins they are very good. The tal synths are nice too.

Synth 1 is great as well!

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
That's true! You should try out a Minibrute or an MS-20, tweaking those is even more fun than soft synths. Usually I end up with sounds that are quite far from anything that resembles music though. :lol:

I really do need to just pick up more hardware synths. My dad has loads, but he also has the space to justify it :lol:

This synth is badass and free
Crystal VST Instrument

I've just been on a free vst hunt, got new PC, mbox didn't work so I've gone with reaper and hence the free vst hunt. I'll post a few more later bit busy right now.

Second the variety of sound plugins they are very good. The tal synths are nice too.

Synth 1 is great as well!

Taking a look at Crystal now :metal:

I love Variety of Sound's plugins as well, they're perfect for being free.

I also use quite a bit of TAL's stuff.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
I can't recommend Piano One enough as mentioned above. Absolutely gorgeous samples and while it requires some tweaking, it's fantastic for a free VST. I prefer it over most paid piano samples, and with the velocity around ~70, it's beautiful.

My own contributions would be:

OMB1 Bass. It's free and with a lot of work, I've gotten it to sound great even as low as drop Ab. I run it through an X1000 with some Ampeg impulses through Poulin LeCab2, and it gets a massive, beefy thick tone that surpasses any actual bass I've worked with. Then again, it's not like I'm working with a dingwall through a darkglass.

However, for free this is a great bass setup if you don't have a better alternative.

Also I feel like there's something to be said for Glaceverb. It produces some really great ambient reverbs that fill up a mix and definitely add a great atmosphere. As the name implies, it's great for getting a "cold" feel to the music but it's also great for filling up a warm space with some tweaks.

For all other reverbs, I'd use ReaVerb with some plates, etc.. Simple but effective.

For limiters, I think I used this link. I've found I'm very partial to Loudmax and Lookahead. Loudmax is transparent, and Lookahead is great if you're into that sound that sounds like you're gonna break your audio system :lol:

All of the aforementioned have been used in my mix found here if you're interested in a demo: https://soundcloud.com/monroe-vallejo/nasa

Enjoy!
That demo is great! I also listened to some of your other soundcloud stuff, what reverse delay did you use at the beginning of your "Park?" one? The whole song is very Modern Day Babylon sounding :shred:

')