Wah Appreciation Thread

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Seeing as it's a staple part of my rig, and seeing as I've had one ever since about 3 months after i got a guitar, it's about time there was a thread dedicated to one of the most usefull effects ever :)

So, questions:

1) How many wah's do you own?

2) What wah's have you owned?

3) Favorite Wah out of the above

4) What wah would you like to own?

5) What features would make it into your ultimate wah pedal?

6) Worst wah ever owned?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loserchief

Rokuban Taicho
Reaction score
1. 2 Wahs(CFH, Tremonti)
2. A Crybaby from Hell and a Morley Tremonti Power Wah. Also a Bad Horise I and a regular Crybaby that i sold.
3. Morley > CFH
4. No new wah on my list
5. The tremonti already is my ultimate wah sound

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
At the present 2. A silver shiny limited edition vox wah that's got more range than a normal vox, and the dimebag crybaby

-a standard vox wah (borrowed off me and never returned), liked it, but not enough range, more subtle

-morley optical wah, somewhere in the early 90's model, was cool, but preferred the vox :)

So far it is pretty much still the silver shiny vox i have, it cuts through like a knife through butter. The dimebag I'd say is a close second, although i haven't fiddled with it much save getting a sound i liked out of it.
I'd still like to get a crybaby with the "instant on" feature. Just being able to slam the foot down and wah is something I really would like after playing about with the bass crybaby, and something i'd have loved to have had in the dimebag wah.

[/quote]
The flexibility
of the Dimebag, with the instant on feature, and being able to nail the same sound as the silver vox :D

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
1. Two, Morley BH2 and Morley Pro
2. Just the above
3. Morely Pro > * for most situations.
4. Another Pro for rhythms, because the BH2 is badass for solos.
5. A BH2 without the auto-shutoff.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
1) How many wah's do you own? One, a Dunlop Crybaby

2) What wah's have you owned? Two, this is my second Crybaby. The first died in a freak blunt trauma accident.

3) Favorite Wah out of the above Probably the old one, out of spite. :D

4) What wah would you like to own? Not sure... I haven't used mine much lately, I should probably start thinking about it again.

5) What features would make it into your ultimate wah pedal? See above. For a Satriani fanboy, I've really moved away from the wah. :lol:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
one

dunlop crybaby gcb95, modded crybaby gcb95 (on/off LED, true-bypass, variable Q)

modded crybaby gcb95 (on/off LED, true-bypass, variable Q)

I'm pretty satisfied with my mods on the GCB95, I still would like to try the dimebagwah out. It just looks so cool.

An integrated coffee-machine and a laser-sword

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
1) How many wah's do you own? 1

2) What wah's have you owned? Ibanez weeping demon and dunlop cry baby

3) Favorite Wah out of the above Dunlop Crybaby

4) What wah would you like to own? Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

5) What features would make it into your ultimate wah pedal? wide range of wah with various switching for various wah types

6) Worst Wah ever tried? Ibanez Weeping Demon.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Always wondered about the weeping demon, looks like a pedal that is style over substance...

6) Worst wah ever owned:
I'd have to say the morley, the sound wasn't very good on it. (Unless i can count multi-fx wahs, in which case the one on the gt-5 wasn't much cop either, and i don't have good experiences with wah's built into multi-fx)

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
(Unless i can count multi-fx wahs, in which case the one on the gt-5 wasn't much cop either, and i don't have good experiences with wah's built into multi-fx)

multi-FX wahs are always pretty crappy. Though the wah on my flextone II head is decent. Too bad the wah pedal on the pedalboard ist kinda uncomfortable. I prefer the bulky, heavy-duty dunlop construction FTW

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
one real one and the ones on my line 6 xt live

as above the real one being a crybaby wah

hard to say i havent been overly impressed with either the 'custom crome' (i think is its name) on my pod is my favorite on there and i do like the sound of the crybaby but there isnt enough range if that makes sense

i havent really looked into other wahs but something with a nice full sound and an instant on and off thing would be awesome

instant on ;) and the ability to adjust the range

6) Worst wah ever owned?

the one that came built in to my zoom 606 pedal i got when i was younger, sounded shit and there was no way of turning it on or off it was either assinged to the channel or it wasnt :noway:

so are there any wah's out there with the 'instant' on feature i'd love to pick one up

Reaction score
I own just one wah
It's The Ibanez Weeping demon ,andit's the ultimate wah for my playing style.It gives everything i want ,how i want and whenever i want!Cool gadget!
And No the style is not over function.The you can tweak the hell out of it!
I owned a Morley Wah ,and an old Crybaby.Noe of them can be compared.

And i tested alot of Wah's.
The second best one is the Tremonty Power Wah.
The third would be Crybaby From Hell.
I hate Dunlop and similar switch system.I use alot of wah for rythm playing ,and Weeping Demon delivers it.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´ve only owned one wah (except crappy zoom multi-fx wah), which i still own, the ibanez weeping demon... love the way this sounds, really blistering and sweepy, has a cool metallic feel to it, and i´s ultra-tweakable... has it´s own sound too...

worst wah i´ve tried so far is probably the zoom multi-fx wahs, simply sucks arseballs!

ultimate Wah would be like the weeping demon, but smaller in construction (this baby is huge!), a little quicker response, and a much more vowel-ish vocal kind of sound... and instead of just the adjustable low-pass filter, i would also add an adjustable high-pass filter, so it wouldn´t sound so rumbly/muddy when it´s at the bottom of the sweep...

even more ultimate, would be that wah, but with like 20 different knobs to modify how it sounds... that would be schweet :p... and with 4 user presets, selectable by 4 buttons, and then a bypass button (true bypass!)... and a built-in Whammy... yeah! :p

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
so are there any wah's out there with the 'instant' on feature i'd love to pick one up
Dunlop crybaby have one with adjustable "Q" and the instant on, plus a volume boost if I am correct. If you can live without the instant on (which is very very cool) then try the dimebag wah, you can get it to really scream if you want. I have mine set up to mimic the weird vox i have, and it can do "more wah", so it's all cool :)

Bartok

Reaction score
I want to try one of these:
The gig-fx Mega Wah
It does some kick ass stuff. Bit pricey though. I fancy one of those Chopper things too- I've been trying to get those sounds from a guitar pedal since I first started playing electric.

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
two--an 80s Crybaby i modded with true bypass, and a Dunlop 535Q.

those, plus a second 535Q.

the 535Q. i don't use the Q setting or the volume boost, but i love the 5 different ranges. i set it for whatever range has the most tonal sweep for that guitar/amp.

i dunno--maybe some boutique circuit board that would plug into my old crybaby.

i want a phase wah--a phaser pedal built into a wah case, with the pedal controling the sweep frequency (not the speed). but nobody makes one.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
1) I own a Tremonti Power Wah
2) I've owned 2, the Tremonti and a Dunlop Crybaby 95
3) Easily the Tremonti
4) Probably a 535Q, I'd like a bit of variety
5) *Shrug*
6) The Crybaby just wasn't doing it for me

')