Wait list questions

• Thread starter GSingleton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, I am offically on the wait list for an 8 string from strandberg.

So at least 2 years haha. my question is, should I maybe get something cheaper as my first and probably, at the price, the only 8 string I will own. My specs came out to 5500 without shipping and without the pale moon ebony fretboard. This is ALOOOT of money. Do you guys think I should get a cheaper luthier or even an ibby 2228?

I want it so bad but I don't know because that is a lot of money. Would it ultimately be worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Id definitely pick up a cheap 8 (agile, RGA8 etc.) Just to test whether you like and can get use out of an 8 string, before dropping that much into the unknown. If you find you don't like 8s, and you want it so bad, you can get a 7 or a 6 (Whichever is your preference).

mountainjam

Reaction score
I dont think you should spend $5500 on any guitar if your not confident in the decision. That being said, you have quite a while to think about it. Whats your # on the list?

Zonk Knuckle

Contributor
Reaction score
Build a Carvin because trends are cool I guess.
Trend? I thought people just bought Carvins because they're awesome.:scratch: Anyway, if $5500 seems like too much, and you think you'll be satisfied with a Carvin or a RG2228, you should go for one of those. The Strandberg will have things you can't get from Carvin or Ibanez (or whatever other sub-$2k guitar); it's just a matter of how Important those things are to you. Personally, the only reason I would get anything other than a DC800 is to be able to have multi-scale or some kind of floyd style tremolo.

Lirtle

Reaction score
It sounds like youre already on the fence about it. I think you should reconsider your specs if they're running you 5500 bucks. My 8 string strandberg quote came out to 3800-4100; that's with a rosewood/purpleheart neck and a figured top. 2 years is also a long time to gather up some cash... Maybe you can spread out your payments to better suit your situation.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Everyone's situation is different. However, in case this helps, let me share my custom instrument stories.

Every custom instrument I've commissioned was because I wasn't satisfied by what was on the market. I knew because I had looked, tried, played what was available. I knew what I wanted, what features I wanted but couldn't get anywhere else.

I also knew how it would be paid for. I was going to use the gear to work. This last part might not matter to you, because you might be getting this purely for the pleasure of playing it as a hobby, in the same way someone might go for a completely tricked out Dodge Omni purely to have drive it around the neighborhood.

Not to say that certainty is always to be trusted, but if you're not even certain you want it, you definitely need to do some thinking. You appear to have buyer's remorse, and you're only on the waiting list.

I hope this next question won't offend you, but how did you decide that this custom, with whatever appointments you've specifically chosen, is exactly what you want?

mountainjam

Reaction score
I am probably at least #100.

:lol:
If ultimately you will be able to afford such a nice guitar, maybe you should look at other luthiers? Im not sure how fast ola is producing guitars, but just guessing, wouldnt that be 3-4 + years before you receive the guitar? I'm #21 on viks waiting list and Im estimating 2 years before building even starts. I would look around, there are other elitist builders who could probably give you everything you want and get it to you in no more than 1-1.5 years. Just my :2c:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
3-4 year wait? Meh. Technomancer goes longer than that between phone calls to Christopher Woods... :)

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
I mean I am not in a hurry to receive it. I do play 7 and 6 string, and I do a lot of two handed tapping like on a chapman stick and I would definitely use the 8. It is just for myself, and the joy of playing.

I did look at some things and brought the price down but really, I would like one because it is so personal and it would be mine. I know for sure I would love it once I got it. I was just asking your guy's opinions.

It just looks so comfy, unfortunately I cannot try one due to my location. Maybe before I buy it I can make it to NAMM and try one out. It looks comfy and can obviously do what I need it to do.

The things that rose the price were things like the pickups, I would like lundgren, but I have noticed that the Lace pups are nice as well for something closer to what I would play.

gs_waldemar

Reaction score
Other (cheaper) options to improve your overall sound/feeling about a customized guitar/whatever (sorted by price):

10$ Buy self-designed sticker for the body of your current guitar
200$ add a custom veneer top to your current guitar
400$ change pickups on your current guitar
500-2000$ buy some RG22228 and add a veneer and pickups ;)
2000-5000$ do any of those and add any possible high class amp and get a professional to adjust your guitars electronics/string height/neck etc...

honestly, you would save $$$

I think the relations between the parts of your rig should always be balanced... if you own a 5500$ amp, then get the 5500$ guitar... if you own a 1500$ amp and a 500$ guitar, then the guitar upgrade that is most likely to be worth the money is probably somewhere in the "midrange" as well...

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
I have a pod hd 500 atm and more than likely it will be my live rig with a pa system, similar to AAL and their axe fx

gs_waldemar

Reaction score
just trying to help... I think if you play a pod, the most noticeable change in your equipment will be a proper preamp/amp... you ll have a much better sound with a 2000$ guitar+2000$amp than 5000$ guitar and a pod...

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
I just did a spec sheet on a carvin and I may end up getting one because the wait time on strandberg is so long that if I did change my mind I could sell the carvin to help fund it.

Any experience with it as compared to an ibby neck? the neck is my main concern.

EDIT: Just for myself, are the pickups interchangeable for emgs/blackouts?

Zonk Knuckle

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, Carvins don't seem to have much resale value, but I say go for it anyway. You might like it enough that it wouldn't even be worth selling.

The necks aren't quite as thin as Ibanez, but I think if you call in you can request a thinner neck. But, it's what they call an "option 50", so you won't be able to return it. The playability of the neck will be as good or better than a Prestige Ibanez.

I don't know if you can swap the pickups. If you can, it won't be a simple swap, because the Carvin 8 string pickups have the preamp outside of the pickup, instead of built into it like normal active pickups. Hopefully, you'll like the stock pickups, and won't have to worry about that.

')