Want to get my first 7 string, help?

Dodgy Dave

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im looking at getting my first 7 string guitar, but I don’t want to have loads of guitars, so I thought I’d get all the features into one guitar I want, hence me wanting a headless Multiscale seven string.

however I’m having a lot of issues on deciding on ones I could get. I live in the UK so agile is costing lots for me because of shipping and VAT. My current only option is a legator from thomann or wait for GOC guitars new run.

Any recommendations on what I should do at all? Or just tips and tricks would be very much appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the board! Some good questions before recommending anything would be:
1. What kind of neck do you like? Something super shreddy and thin or do you like a bit more of a thick Gibby neck?
2. Budget? Are you looking to spend quite a bit? Just trying something out as many diff features as possible for your money?
3. What features are you looking for? You've mentioned headless but aside from some weight savings and the "ergonomic" shape (I have some gripes about the GOC design) is there any other feature they offer that suites what you are looking for?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
If you're worried about shipping then I guess Kiesel would be out.

I'd be hesitant on the GOC's because every one I've seen (I think it was everyone, if not then the majority) that purchased their last run had issues with the bridges.

I've never played Legator but I've heard their quality has improved recently. If Thomann has a good return policy you could order one and if it has quality issues just return it for something completely different perhaps?

What about Strandberg? Maybe even finding a used Strandberg in the UK might be a good place to start.

Dodgy Dave

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the board! Some good questions before recommending anything would be:
1. What kind of neck do you like? Something super shreddy and thin or do you like a bit more of a thick Gibby neck?
2. Budget? Are you looking to spend quite a bit? Just trying something out as many diff features as possible for your money?
3. What features are you looking for? You've mentioned headless but aside from some weight savings and the "ergonomic" shape (I have some gripes about the GOC design) is there any other feature they offer that suites what you are looking for?

I like my necks quite thin, I have an Ibanez and a bc rich, the bc rich has a slightly thicker neck tho than my Ibanez. I prefer the bc rich neck.

My budget is max about £800, I know it’s not great but I’m an apprentice with a car to maintain

Sorry but I’m not entirely sure what you mean on the last question? If I’m understanding it right I am ideally looking for fan frets, not too fused about a tone knob. 2 pickups, 7 strings, coil split would be nice but not essential

Dodgy Dave

Reaction score
If you're worried about shipping then I guess Kiesel would be out.

I'd be hesitant on the GOC's because every one I've seen (I think it was everyone, if not then the majority) that purchased their last run had issues with the bridges.

I've never played Legator but I've heard their quality has improved recently. If Thomann has a good return policy you could order one and if it has quality issues just return it for something completely different perhaps?

What about Strandberg? Maybe even finding a used Strandberg in the UK might be a good place to start.

I can’t find any strandberg’s in my budget, and there are barely any used ones I can even find in UK.

I have been talking to GOC and apparently there new run will have better hardware, but I’m going to have to consider the price of shipping and VAT if I’m buying from GOC aswell

Reaction score
Have you looked at Solar? Haven’t tried the 7, by I have an A6 and I love it. Thin neck, decent prices, and they ship worldwide.

Dodgy Dave

Reaction score
Have you looked at Solar? Haven’t tried the 7, by I have an A6 and I love it. Thin neck, decent prices, and they ship worldwide.

Hi, I am ideally looking at getting one with a Multiscale as it is something I don’t already own, by I may have just not seen it but I can’t find a solar with a Multiscale

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
May be slightly out of your price range, but the ESP LTD multiscale looks pretty good. The Schecter Reaper is around your budget too iirc.

There are a couple of Ibanez MS's and Jackson's too in the sub 1k range I think too. Most are commonly available in shops - where abouts are you in the UK?

If you decide against Multi scale, there are more options too (Solar, Chapman etc)

Dodgy Dave

Reaction score
May be slightly out of your price range, but the ESP LTD multiscale looks pretty good. The Schecter Reaper is around your budget too iirc.

There are a couple of Ibanez MS's and Jackson's too in the sub 1k range I think too. Most are commonly available in shops - where abouts are you in the UK?

If you decide against Multi scale, there are more options too (Solar, Chapman etc)
The Schecter reaper is something I had in mind if I decide to abandon the idea of a headless, glad to know it’s something that is good enough to be recommended

Reaction score
Hi, I am ideally looking at getting one with a Multiscale as it is something I don’t already own, by I may have just not seen it but I can’t find a solar with a Multiscale

My bad—I missed the multiscale requirement!

Aumann

Reaction score
My recommendation: Strandberg.

Seriously, they are worth it. Super lightweight, no strings ringing at the bridge or nut, perfect setup, super stable, very resonant and super versatile, compact. They are hands down the most comfortable guitars i ever held (if you can adapt to the endur neck, but i never had issues with it).

I have a custom 7 string as well, and while i love that guitar to death and its my baby, it's hard not to look at my strandberg and miss the features of it.

Just read your budget is quite a bit lower than most strandbergs. Maybe enough for a second hand boden metal. Otheriwse you could take a look at ESP/ltd which also makes multiscale 7's for a low price.

Finding other good headless multiscales at that price is mission impossible imo.

Dodgy Dave

Reaction score
Latest update. I’ve come to terms with the fact I’m not really going to be able to get a headless in my budget. I’ll get that later on in life. But I still want the Multiscale 7 string. So atm I’m considering the schecter reaper 7 ms, CORT kx500ms (I think that’s the name), or there is the headless agile 7 string Multiscale (agile chiral parallax 72527), but that is a big gamble cos I have to pay 20% VAT on top of the price, plus roughly £130 shipping, with no insurance.

,but that’s my latest plan?

Dodgy Dave

Reaction score
I’m now looking at getting a Washburn solar guitar (kinda the same...). Mainly because I’ve decided against a Multiscale as my wrist already bends toward me at low fret, so it would be even harder as the frets are going the complete opposite direction to my hand. Cheers for the suggestion

')