Wanting to finally get started with recording. Need some advice

• Thread starter piggins411
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

piggins411

Reaction score
So as the title suggests, I really want to get into recording because I have a lot of stuff I want to lay down and play with, and the guy I write with wants to be able to work with me over the summer while we're apart. I have a rough idea of what I need (at least I think, based on his set up). I already have Reaper. I need an audio interface of some kind (I believe he has one from M Audio), some monitors, and, although it's not absolutely necessary right now, I would like a mic to record vocals with. I have around $800 to work with, and I was wondering if you guys could give some guidance in regard to spread that money around nicely. Is it even reasonable to assume I could get those things for that much? I have a feeling it is not. I'm not going for top shelf quality gear at the moment, just something that will work decently. Also, are those things really all I need? Thanks for all of your help in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeeG

Reaction score
Focusrite seems to be a popular interface. I have the 8i6 and it's great.

Although many have them( including me), monitors aren't absolutely necessary right at the beginning. Some might argue that, but I think they won't do that much good until you really know how to utilize them. It's true that having good monitors is key to getting a good mix, but until you know how to get there, there's no point, but if you really want them, I have a pair of Yamaha HS80M's and they're great.

I suck at recording vocals, but it's good enough to lay down an idea. You can get an Okay condenser mic, a stand, and a cable for 150-200$ and that will get the job done if you know how to use it right.

It's very possible to get all of this stuff with your budget(don't forget to factor in cables and possibly stands for the monitors).

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score

piggins411

Reaction score
Ok, so let's say I went with the Focusrite 8i6 or 2i4, got a mic, and decided to forget about monitors for now. I would probably be running a POD HD 400 directly the interface. How many cables would I need? I'm pretty new to most of this haha. I know I'd need one for the mic, but what else?

BeeG

Reaction score
4. 1 for the mic, 2 to run the POD into the interface(2 for stereo, or 1 for the guitar tone and 1 for unprocessed signal to reamp the guitar later), and one to plug the guitar in.

piggins411

Reaction score
And one final question:

What kind of cables? I think I know what kind of mic cable I need, but I'd like to make sure first before I go buy a bunch of useless stuff

BeeG

Reaction score
Standard mic cable(consider distance from the interface to where you want the mic to be recorded) and three 1/4" standard instrument cables. There are multiple ways to hook up the POD but this is the simplest, IMO.

ChrisTheo

Reaction score
I dont know how your setup will be but I'm assuming you'll be in an untreated space (acoustically speaking), I wouldnt be afraid to forego monitors and get some top end headphones. I have some AKG 702s that work well for mixing, you dont have to worry about your room hurting your mix.

Upgrade to monitors and acoustic treatment at a later date when you can dedicate $800 to them alone.

Just my 2 cents.

piggins411

Reaction score
^ I actually have some pretty nice headphones that I have now that I plan to use. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll be destroying my savings soon with all of your help :lol: