War Between 8 String and 7 String (Tuning Help?)

• Thread starter DoomJazz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
So, I'm going to buy a 7 string... No, wait, an 8 string... Scratch that, a 7 string. Damn it!! I really want to get an 8 string, but right now, I'm writing in drop A, which I would be putting on a 7. I'm just wondering how you guys feel about using an 8 string and going back and forth between

EBGDAEA*
EbGbDbAbEbAb*
EBGDAEBE

* = Whatever tuning for the 8th string.

I'm worried more or less about how it would affect the playability, and if you all have any experiences with this, please share. I'm buying (Carvin DC800 or Carvin DC727) by this Sunday, so everything that you could share with me would be of great help.

Happy Holidays!! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. I move back and forth between those tunings all the time. If you want to play in drop A, just ignore your 8th string until it becomes necessary.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm a 'one guitar does it all' kind of guy. I've ordered a 9 tuned to EA EADGBE A (all flat).
I intend to switch between
E A EADGBE A
E A DADGBE A
E G DADGBE A
E B EADGBE A
E B DADGBE A

And use capos to transpose. Basically to have any standard or dropped tuning on any number of strings available.

Set up the guitar with each string tuned to it's 'average' tuning. So mine will be set up for E G Eb ADGBE A

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
I got my Damian elite 8 tunned to GCGCfacf and love this tunning. after i found this tunning i havent picked up my 7 for a while

Herrseigneur

Maelsthorn
Contributor
Reaction score
I would go EAEADGBE : drop A with a low E for the 8th string :agreed:

I've been doing something similar for years on my seven string since most of my songs were written in drop on a 6 string and I reaallly wanted a seven string guitar anyway. Never looked back.

violent mouth

Reaction score
If you go 8 try a few first as some will make your hands ache due to neck size, i.e the schecters are like trying to play a circket bat, the RGA8 has a wizard neck so very playable, the LTD 408 or SC608 have a neck between the two...

Then worry about tunings..

My 8 was F.B.E.A.D.G.B.E
My 7's are A.D.G.C.F.A.D
& B.E.A.D.G.B.E

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
I'm definitely going with a Carvin, and I'm not worried about neck size, as I've played their sevens before and they are comfy as all hell. Neck size has never really made a huge impact on my choice before anyways. Minus Schecter :ugh: . But yeah, I'm definitely getting an 8 stringer :cool: . Most likely ordering this sunday :shred:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Doomjazz, holy shit. I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but you wrote the tuning in the proper order (first to last, not lowest to highest) and therefore, I love you.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I play both my 7 and 8 regularly.

Just think of it this way: If you have an 8 string, you also have a 7 string.

Go for the 8.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
Doomjazz, holy shit. I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but you wrote the tuning in the proper order (first to last, not lowest to highest) and therefore, I love you.

I love you too SirMyghin, I love you too.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
Haha get my DC800 and then order an RGD 2127 while I'm waiting? Sounds primo :agreed:

djinn314

Reaction score
I was going to go with the 2127z but I just don't like the idea of the matte black finish. Eventually I heard it can wear down into different shades, not sure to be exact. If it was me and you wanted an 8 and a 7, I would buy two 8 strings, and just string one up like a normal seven, but give yourself that extra higher string. That is just my plan at least.

Skygoneblue

Frankensteeeeein!
Reaction score
Argument for a 7: The F# string just gets in the way if I don't need it.
Argument for an 8: I might want the F# string sometimes.

You can overcome the first by practicing. You can't overcome the second with anything other than mind games.

Get an 8 and :cool: deal with it!

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
Haha I hope this thread is helpful to someone, because I ordered my DC800 a few weeks ago... Finish date should be around Feb 23 :scream: too far away.

Thanks so much guys! :metal:

')