Warpig vs SD Invader vs Aftermath vs SD Distortion *VIDEO*

• Thread starter MiPwnYew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C-PIG

Reaction score
Yeah I saw this yesterday. Pretty much convinced me Bareknuckle pickups are not worth the extreme markup and hype they get. They sound good but I don't know if they sound 3 or 4 times more good.

And the Kemper sounds awesome!

i agree! this video just proves that you gotta let your ears do the talking , dont listen to the hype . The proof is in the pudding kids . the duncans owned this vid :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, it's so hard to really know 4sure which one would sound best until dropping them in your own axe with your own pedals and amps.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
Yeah, it's so hard to really know 4sure which one would sound best until dropping them in your own axe with your own pedals and amps.

so true... from my experience, the body wood the pickup is being put in makes a world of difference... if you put a great pickup in the wrong body, it will sound mediocre...

speaking great combos, i'm dying to try out a black dog in a mahogany bodied 7

MJS

Reaction score
Cool of Keith to take the time to do that. :yesway:

The Distortion was definitely my favorite of the four.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
My list

1. Seymour Duncan Invader - Seriously blown away by the awesomeness of that beast.

2. Seymour Duncan Distortion - Surprised as well, but then again, I've heard some sick tones with this thing

3. BKP Warpig - Damn. It's tied with second place. Sounds pretty gnarly. I'd love to try this one someday. :yesway:

4. BKP Aftermath - For my taste it wouldn't work so well. I have heard some delicious tones with this one, but it's just not my thing. However, I think it'd be awesome in a darker toned guitar.

Cool vid nonetheless :yesway:

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Interesting :yesway:
It would've been awesome to hear some dimarzios, too.

BadBovineNickel

Reaction score
I'm just impressed someone could come up with such cool freakin' riffs, in all the varying styles, with such EASE!! :bowdown:

(it seems to take my forever to come up with anything that cool...) :squint:

Oh, and my preference:
1. Warpig
2. Distortion
3. Invader
4. Aftermath (always sounded dull to my ear...)

Animus

Reaction score
These arnt marked up:spock:. They are in a country thats currency is just worth more than ours.

one U.S. dollar = 0.627785799 British pounds

SD Distortion: $79.95
Warpig: £114.00 or $181 USD

2.26 times more expensive adjusting for currency value.

demonlord78

Reaction score
I'd much rather save $100 by purchasing a SD Distortion and reconcile the differences in eq with a few very minor tweaks on my amp. Sure, the BKP's sound great, but not enough to justify the delta in cost. Take a look at the graphic eq at the end of Keith's video and that will give you a pretty good idea of which frequences to adjust to match the Warpig. All IMHO of course.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
one U.S. dollar = 0.627785799 British pounds

SD Distortion: $79.95
Warpig: £114.00 or $181 USD

2.26 times more expensive adjusting for currency value.

:spock:Are you dense dude?? :lol:

Are you honostly expecting them to ship them to america and make half the money off each pickup?

There money is worth twice ours. Whats so hard to get about this?

Animus

Reaction score

Are you honostly expecting them to ship them to america and make half the money off each pickup?

There money is worth twice ours. Whats so hard to get about this?

I don't know dude. Sorry you got your feelings hurt about your favorite pickups. I wasn't meaning they weren't good pickups. Only thing I was saying that Bareknuckles aren'† worth the extra cost for me and Seymour Duncan have pickups that compete on the same level imo. I could care less what they charge, or if it's to do with exchange rates or importation. It still works out being more expensive.

I replaced a JB on one of my guitars with a Holy Diver. It's a nice pickup but I wouldn't say necessarily any better than the JB, just.a little different.

KiD Cudi

Reaction score
1. Aftermath (really tight & aggressive)
2. Warpig (brutal)
3. Distortion (fierce sounding)
4. Invader (muddy)

Fun with tone-words...

infernalservice

Reaction score
I appreciate Keith taking the time to demo these pickups, but I think if anything it just shows which pickups are suited for certain guitars. He is playing a maple neck thru with what I assume is an ebony board. From that combo alone I expect the warpig and invader to shine. They work well in brighter guitars because of the thick low end and mid push. I think aftermaths sound great in all mahogany guitars, especially with rosewood boards. Distortions I have only played in Gibsons and they aren't too bad. Not my favorite SD pickup, but they compliment mahogany too.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
you guys are forgetting that the sound difference is miniscule between the pickups. i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between any of them in a blind test.

the differences really shine when it comes to feeling. playing them makes all the difference in the world. personaly i find that pickups are far more responsive to playing technique than any other factor.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
If you have a set of really retardedly expensive headphones then the differences are way more noticeable. They're all very similar still, but in a recording situation where you're really going into details I think it matters a little more.

What? That made perfect sense to me, the money being worth twice as much doesn't seem to be the issue. He didn't even add shipping.

(though I don't think "markup" is the proper word to use...)

Vinchester

Reaction score
You amurikans also forgot import tax.

Back on topic, I'm very impressed with Warpig. Always thought that it's a bit too bassy but damn that's some powerful sounds!

Necky379

Reaction score
glad to see the invader get some love in this thread.

Andrew11

Reaction score
Having owned all 4 at one point, the warpig's the only one I still have.

1: Warpig (balanced is the best way to put it)
2: Invader (very close second by the way)
3: Aftermath
4: Distortion

Warpig and Invader are so full sounding and crunchy, Warpig wins a close one because its tighter in the low end. Distrotion and aftermath just sounded thin to me.

')