Was disgusted today.

• Thread starter yellowv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I don't see the point in buying a little kid a fender strat as his first guitar tho, I got a pos guitar to learn on with the stipulation that if I could learn to play that, then I get to move up to nicer gear to me that makes sense.

Hey now, my first electric was a Fender Strat...

...an MIM Fat Strat that cost $175 brand new :lol::lol::lol:.
I still <3 it, though. My actual first guitar was a POS off-brand acoustic, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strobe

Reaction score
I ordered two of my guitars online from them. Both were flawless - and I was happy with the service - so no axe to grind. Also, I got extraordinary deals on non-scratch and dent stuff. I have a gear obsession, but I'm a bargain hunter.

I do not begrudge the big chains - I love that they have stuff available that you can try out. I was a bit spoiled - I grew up near Motor City Guitar in Michigan, and they have an excellent selection that you can play - and it is more spread out than the average guitar center. Also, Elderly Instruments was nearby too - that is multiple floors of awesome. If I visit NYC, I will probably stop by that same Sam Ash. I just happen to like guitar stores - and the ones that get scratch and dent stuff also have pretty good deals - especially on something like an amp - that's awesome.

Kabstract

Flamenco is cool
Reaction score
Ebay is rather destructive in that as you have a lot of basement businesses that have effectively no overhead. Then they sell for very very low profit margins, as they can afford to. If they make 30-40$ on a 700 item they will still be happy, as it didn't cost them anything.

What you said is true, but at the end of the day most buyers don't want to fork out quite a bit of extra $ to support local businesses. One of my local stores want $140 for a Dimarzio Super Distortion! You can buy one of those for $70 on tons of sites.

Even still, I do try to buy locally. In fact, today I bought a Yamaha PAC 612v from a store.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
My local store can suck my fuck, $175 for a Duncan hot rails is daylight robbery.

That and they're real smug, smarmy cunts to anyone who isn't dropping 7 grand on a les paul custom or custom shop strat and know the least about gear of any store I've ever been to, to the point where I've heard them flat out lie to customers because they didn't know the real answer to their question.

pantera95

Reaction score
You guys have it easy!
Here in australia, we have a shop called Allans music. It's practically the only "big name" guitar shop around here, so if you want to try something, you go to allans, simple.
However, because i'm not "off age" (i'm 17) I'm always asked to put guitars down.
Every time i pick up a prestige, a jem, or anything of value, i get told to put it back, because i'm too young.

I feel like screaming at every person that works at allans. They judge me because of my age.
Little do they know that i have worked since i was 13 (hence why I have alright gear), I'm usually in their shop to buy something, and I own gear that's higher end than everything on their shelf.

Before i even get told to put a guitar back, i usually put it back my self in discust of the state of it. Rusty strings on a jem, warped necks, the lot!

Oh and i forgot to mention, an Invader head is 6000 dollars here. Now you can see what we have to deal with here. It's crazy.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
You guys have it easy!
Here in australia, we have a shop called Allans music. It's practically the only "big name" guitar shop around here, so if you want to try something, you go to allans, simple.
However, because i'm not "off age" (i'm 17) I'm always asked to put guitars down.
Every time i pick up a prestige, a jem, or anything of value, i get told to put it back, because i'm too young.

I feel like screaming at every person that works at allans. They judge me because of my age.
Little do they know that i have worked since i was 13 (hence why I have alright gear), I'm usually in their shop to buy something, and I own gear that's higher end than everything on their shelf.

Before i even get told to put a guitar back, i usually put it back my self in discust of the state of it. Rusty strings on a jem, warped necks, the lot!

Oh and i forgot to mention, an Invader head is 6000 dollars here. Now you can see what we have to deal with here. It's crazy.

Grow a beard and you'll be sweet!

I haven't really had any trouble with trying out instruments and guitars in shops here, although they are rarely in great shape or even set up properly. I even took an hour trip to the closest Allans just to try out a seven string back in the day, and they didn't have a single one!

There's a great shop near where I live now. Only authorised PRS dealer I know, run by an old dude that clearly cares about his guitars. Shame I'll probably never buy anything from him cos it costs half as much to ship one in from the US.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
This is why I never buy from Sam Ash, Guitar Center, Musician's FIEND, ect. They never care about how they treat the guitars. Or even yet they buy B Stock guitars and sell them for the price of a non defected gutiar and still try to pass it off as the real non defected one.

Do your research before buying my friends. A good guitar dealer is just as good as a good guitar.

:lol: fuck me I just realized my LTD MH401 is definitely B-stock now that I know that.

')