Washburn unveils new 4N model

• Thread starter littlebadboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to be "that guy" but I always get a little bit of blue balls when somebody announces a "new model" and it looks identical to something I saw in a Musician's Friend catalog when I was 13 years old.

I'm usually something of a nut (no pun) about small, subtle changes that are easily overlooked, but even I'm not excited here.

protest

Reaction score
ya maybe I had a lemon but that guitar's neck would move drastically. All my other guitars have not moved all that much. Maybe it was a combination of humidity (again all other guitars were in good shape), thickness (so thin), finish (oil) and the neck wood itself.

I adjust my truss rod or action basically every time I play my JP16. Same neck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no clue who is making these now, but they are still USA made. I think it’s kind of ridiculous as this is just an N4 with a Kahler nut and backwards logo, but I will say my Chicago CS built N7 is still the best guitar I have ever owned and it will never leave.

angl2k

Reaction score
Wow that patent pending text on the cutaway is hideous. I think it even beats the massive Evertune logo in terms of ugliness :)

Jason B

Unbanned
Reaction score
I’d feel cheated that it doesn’t say “Overlord of Music.”

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I assume the thinner ebony board is cost cutting? And the thicker neck maybe is to make it more stable (or maybe Nuno's preferences changed, but after all these years, that seems like a stretch?).

I had an N7, and it was magnificent. The neck was super thin, and it did move a bit with the weather. And yeah it's "plain" and wasn't inexpensive and not as flashy as similarly priced things from Kiesel or maybe even ESP etc. But DAMN it played well and sounded like a monster. I sold it in a moment of stupidity to pay for my first 8-string, but I wish I still had it.

So long story short, if this is made by those same folks, I'm sure its a great guitar and the price seems fine because you won't find a better playing or sounding guitar.

GraemeH

Reaction score
I assume the thinner ebony board is cost cutting? And the thicker neck maybe is to make it more stable

I took that to mean, the neck is "thicker" by the amount the fretboard is thinner. i.e. the whole thing is the same, just different distribution.

I really like the look of the N4s, but can't say the thickness of the fretboard was what was holding me back...

xzacx

Reaction score
I played a Paduk N4 at GC the other day and almost bought it on the spot I liked it so much (still considering it because it was a good price, but I think another 7 is a higher priority on my list of stuff I want). First time playing an N4 after all these years and was really impressed. I will say that this is a bit disappointing as a "new" model, but I don't think the price is out of line for what it is, assuming the quality is on part with the older ones. That Washburn custom shop did fantastic work in my experience. Every USA Strandberg I had was top notch (better than one from the Swedish custom shop that I had), and I also had an acoustic out of there that was incredibly well made.

77zark77

Reaction score
Don't know about this one but encouraged me to play my padauk N7 ! thanks :cheers:

Last edited: