Washburn WG-587 getting a facelift

• Thread starter IntoEternity22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IntoEternity22

Reaction score
I've been wanted to rebuild a seven string for a long time but never really found the time until now. I acquired this Washburn WG-587 on eBay for $105 and it was in need of some TLC. There were scratches in the paint, the bridge was worn out, and there was dust all over. It was a great template for a project.

Original guitar:

Neck/headstock:

Body sanded down to bare wood:

New headstock shape:

I ordered a new bridge and pickups, decided to go with these:

I'm also going to add a veneer top made of tigerwood:

I'm planning on staining it green with a black burst. Here's a quick mockup of what I'm planning (Disregard the shitty quality; I didn't take my time with these, just wanted to get the point across)

I will continue to post pics as the project progresses. I'm currently sanding down the neck and cleaning up the frets and fingerboard. I'm getting the veneer within the next few days, so that should be done by next week or so. I'll post updated pics then.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NeoTheMaggot

Reaction score
awesome man, good luck. Be careful with your taping though, that really fucked me over unfortunately. I can't wait to see how she turns out for you man.

IntoEternity22

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, I decided to change my mind and leave it natural (since I'm getting a green guitar soon)

I'll add some updated pics when the veneer comes in.

IntoEternity22

Reaction score
OK it looks like I hit a road block, the neck was messed up so I had to order another one.

Anyway here is a pic of the new veneer:

Updates in about a week or so when I get the guitar and veneer.

IntoEternity22

Reaction score
Sorry for the long wait, I decided not to go with the veneer, instead I'm doing a "burnt" natural finish with a black burst. Here is the finish with one layer of clear coat so far.

More pictures later.

')