Washburn WG587 Picstory (56K UPGRADE!)

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SHREDTOKILL

LOW AND SLOW
Reaction score
yeah my washburn x27 has the same pickups and fuck they suck.
the output is terrible.
i need some emgs to throw in there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
so techno have you started on this project yet? im thinking about doin the same as you pretty much and want to be prepared for the project...lol

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
so techno have you started on this project yet? im thinking about doin the same as you pretty much and want to be prepared for the project...lol

The Tusq nut has been ordered, that will be the first step. I want to keep it and play it for a bit before I decide if I'm going to keep it and drop the money on the new pups and wiring... and I've already got the knobs and switch tip here. My current plan is to get the new nut on, clean and oil the board, clean the frets and get decent strings on it and play the hell out of it for a week or two before deciding.

I've also got an idea for one of those Chris Woods Speed Guitar 7s... so depending on Chris's answer to my questions about those I may end up selling this... man have I become a gear whore :lol:

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
My current plan is to get the new nut on, clean and oil the board, clean the frets and get decent strings on it and play the hell out of it for a week or two before deciding.

this is the first thing i did, not only did i get all the crappy waxy residue of the board it looks and feels better, with the new elixer string it fixed the buzzing issues too, im just lookin for an real excuse to give my wife to tear apart my red one i got...lol :cool:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice one, Steve! I like that color. Those are nice guitars. Congrats! :hbang:

Dersu

Reaction score
My one came to me severely damaged. It had to have been sent damaged because the shipping box and Washburn packaging box were both in perfect condition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60594126@N00/

You can see in the photos it had a major point of impact, what you cant see if that the entire body is almost cracked in half.

The sad thing is I was planning on investing time on this guitar to make it a little project since I gave up playing a while back to focus my efforts on other things. I had already purchased a Dimarzio activator for the neck, a new amp, GHS boomers etc. I guess it was stupid on my part to do all of this for a $99 guitar a friend recommended to me after reading something on slickdeals.com. I put a decent amount of change into the accessories so I won't be able to afford a comparable guitar for a couple of months (I have my eyes on an ibanez but they are quite a bit more expensive). I guess thats what I get for being idealistic.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My one came to me severely damaged. It had to have been sent damaged because the shipping box and Washburn packaging box were both in perfect condition.

You can see in the photos it had a major point of impact, what you cant see if that the entire body is almost cracked in half.

The sad thing is I was planning on investing time on this guitar to make it a little project since I gave up playing a while back to focus my efforts on other things. I had already purchased a Dimarzio activator for the neck, a new amp, GHS boomers etc. I guess it was stupid on my part to do all of this for a $99 guitar a friend recommended to me after reading something on slickdeals.com. I put a decent amount of change into the accessories so I won't be able to afford a comparable guitar for a couple of months (I have my eyes on an ibanez but they are quite a bit more expensive). I guess thats what I get for being idealistic.

Ok, first off thanks for the thread-jack asshat :fawk:

Now that that's out of the way, I'd suggest waiting until you get in contact with Music123 before bitching about how they deliberately screwed you over. Worst case I'm sure they will refund you money. I would also suggest calling them for something like this, not screwing around with email... they do have a toll-free customer service number.

As a side note, is it just me or is the damage only cosmetic? As in it looks like the finish is just broken up... is there any damage to the wood or electronics? It's hard to tell from your pics. If it is merely cosmetic, and they don't have one to replace it with, I would personally probably keep it and refinish it as you're not going to get a guitar that's as nice for 3x what you paid for it...

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
Ok, first off thanks for the thread-jack asshat :fawk:

Now that that's out of the way, I'd suggest waiting until you get in contact with Music123 before bitching about how they deliberately screwed you over. Worst case I'm sure they will refund you money. I would also suggest calling them for something like this, not screwing around with email... they do have a toll-free customer service number.

As a side note, is it just me or is the damage only cosmetic? As in it looks like the finish is just broken up... is there any damage to the wood or electronics? It's hard to tell from your pics. If it is merely cosmetic, and they don't have one to replace it with, I would personally probably keep it and refinish it as you're not going to get a guitar that's as nice for 3x what you paid for it...

i agree 100%

there customer service is freakin awsome, they will fix it im sure and if not just refinished the fucker.....you only paid 99 bucks for it anyhow

Dersu

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't know that you would construe my post as being a threadjack. I apologize for that. No need to call me an "asshat" though. The guitar they sent me had a massive point of impact to the input area and caused the entire body to crack. Music123's customer service was better than I had expected. Much more so than you would be led to believe by the order processing troubles they have. I'm pretty sure they knowingly sent me a damaged guitar though, and they never sent my friend his washburn either, they still have it as processing at the wherehouse (he ordered immediatly after I did) they still haven't told him yet that they're out of stock.

BTW which Dimarzio pickups are you thinking of adding? I'd like to switch around the bridge and tuners as well, though I'm unfamiliar about how to do that sort of thing without causing damage to the guitar. I bought a Dimarzio D Activator neck pickup to replace the stock one since I hear the stock is quite muddy sounding.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Alright...

Technomancer -- no need to be so snappy and shit with the guy. He wasn't trying to derail your thread entirely by posting pics of something entirely unrelated or being obnoxious.
Dersu - I realize you're pissed you got screwed over, but you already brought this up in another washburn thread just the other day. It sucks, but you dont have to bring it up in every wasburn thread. its not their fault really, its M123.

anyway, lets get back on topic.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't know that you would construe my post as being a threadjack. I apologize for that. No need to call me an "asshat" though. The guitar they sent me had a massive point of impact to the input area and caused the entire body to crack. Music123's customer service was better than I had expected. Much more so than you would be led to believe by the order processing troubles they have. I'm pretty sure they knowingly sent me a damaged guitar though, and they never sent my friend his washburn either, they still have it as processing at the wherehouse (he ordered immediatly after I did) they still haven't told him yet that they're out of stock.

BTW which Dimarzio pickups are you thinking of adding? I'd like to switch around the bridge and tuners as well, though I'm unfamiliar about how to do that sort of thing without causing damage to the guitar. I bought a Dimarzio D Activator neck pickup to replace the stock one since I hear the stock is quite muddy sounding.

The entire threadjack bit was meant as a joke... thus the use of the :fawk: at the end with the big grin in the middle, sorry if it came off as serious.

I believe some of the problems with these are that they were limited in quantity and cheap and people gobbled them up like Piranah. Thus somebody forgetting to scan a box in the wharehouse could lead to multiple frustrated customers. I also highly doubt they even looked in your box before shipping it. Guitars at this level are typically boxed at the factory, sent to the distributor, then to the customer without anyone ever looking at them unless they go to a music store and get hung on a wall. If I was taking bets I'd say some poor schmoe in China accidentally smashed it and just boxed it because he didn't want to get in trouble.

Anyways, like I said I'm sure Music123 will either get you another guitar or refund your money.

For pickups I'm thinking about an Evo 7 in the bridge and a Blaze 7 in the neck.

jthurm77

Reaction score

Hey Dersu,

I had the same problem your friend has. I ordered a gray WG587 a day before they "officially" sold-out, just to find out later that they wouldn't be able to fullfill my order because they were all gone. So, I MADE them give me a brand new WG587 in black for the same $99.99 price. I would encourage your friend to do the same thing. All you have to do is get on the phone with them and show them how your order was placed before the item was sold out and keep right on their ass about it and they'll fold. The guy I spoke with still tried to push me by saying that he'll give it to me for $125 instead of $149....naturally, I told him that wasn't good enough. I made it clear that they screwed up by not having the item removed before they had sold out and that I still had a valid standing order. After placing me on hold for a couple of minutes, he later came back and caved. Tell your friend to hurry though, cause they might sell out before then...here's the link:

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-WG587-7-string-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i147832.music

I just recieved mine a couple of days ago and I'm very happy with it. As far as pickups go, I just ordered a DiMarzio Blaze (bridge) and a DiMarzio Air Norton (neck). Don't know if it's the best selection for this guitar, but what the hell.

Reaction score

That guitar could have very well been, the guitar ANY of us would have received! The info you posted is valuable. No guitar needs to arrive in such condition (no matter where the damage occured)! The sad fact is, $4000 guitars arrive with necks snapped off at the perhead too! I have ordered stuff from M123 before, where the wrong item was sent. The customer service was good. They sent me an email with a pre-paid UPS mailing label (I just printed it out, from the the email they sent me). I hope this turns out good for ya. The only rule about new guitar gear, is that there is always a better deal around the corner!:hbang:

-----------------------------------------------

Hey guys, the wood on my M123/Washburn WG587 appears to be BASSWOOD. I needed to clean out the leftover white body filler powder from the control cavity, and pickup pockets. The control cavity was too-painted-over to see the wood. A look into the pickup pockets revealed a yellowy wood, devoid of Alder-like growth rings. It looks like basswood to me!:scratch:

The only mod I plan at this time is a Warmoth 7 string pickup. These pickups are built by Anderson Guitarworks. Anderson pickups are fantastic, as they brim with tone across their entire width! I would normally go very-high output, but seven strings seem to have certain elements that cross both the guitar and bass. The most staggering element is the low nominal "B" string, with its piano-like quality. Anderson guitarworks creates many custom guitars using basswood, so the this seems like good match for me.

I am going for the higher output Warmoth/Anderson 7SPUB:

http://www.warmoth.com/pickups/pickups.cfm?fuseaction=pickups_7string

PS: I have three other Andersons, and they are all great. That is what turned me onto this Warmoth pickup. I sent an email to the shop, and they replied that the Warmoth pickup is tonally closet to the H2+ Anderson pickup.

I am using Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms (.010"-.052"), plus an .070" SIT brand on the low seventh string. .070" is THE MAXIMUM diameter string that can be pushed though the holes of the machine tuners without modification. I may go to .066" or .068" to get more easily muted (read tighter, not bigger) bottom chug, I get plenty of chug already from my amp/speaker combo.

Reaction score
Scored! I got the higher output Warmoth/Anderson 7 string humbucker on clearance. It cost $62 instead of $78. Not the hugest discount, but it more than pays the shipping on the pickup I planned on buying anyway.:yesway:

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
Oh man what a dreadfull human error on packaging here! That is terrible , sorry for your axe man - well are you going to get sent a new one?
Not craftsmanship at fault but looks as though it took a 10 foot drop or was an ending to a very climactic concert.

Dersu

Reaction score
I got my black washburn today, just trying to get it set up properly. The B string is buzzing badly like others have said. Maybe higher gauge strings will help.

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
I got my black washburn today, just trying to get it set up properly. The B string is buzzing badly like others have said. Maybe higher gauge strings will help.

yes!

first thing i did was put some better strings on the thing, i went up to a 60 b to an 9 e and it did wounders.

if you dont know how to adjust the neck and shit on a guitar i HIGHLY suggest having a shop do it for you, these wg587s need a good setup for them to sound to there full potential trust me i have 4 of them now

')