Washburn WG587 Picstory (56K UPGRADE!)

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found this on my doorstep today along with another box. A day early. Go Fedex :yesway:

161945f85ebc4a09e.jpg

First, find an implement of destruction to open the box (more subtle that one some use, but that's just how I roll...)

161945f85ebc81b00.jpg

I open the box to find.... another box

161945f85ebca8fd3.jpg

Damn you, thorough packaging

161945f85ebcc93c4.jpg

Next I open the packaging and let the bomb sniffing dog check for any danger

161945f85ebd3457d.jpg

She gives me the all clear

161945f85ebce8093.jpg

And moves out of the way so I can see what's in there

161945f85ebd13e0b.jpg

Apparently it includes a special switch condom

161945f85ebd558a6.jpg

161945f85ebd7587d.jpg

Condom removed (also not my most un-metal socks today :lol:)

161945f85ebdbd592.jpg

The rather tasty headstock

161945f85ebd977d1.jpg

And a full shot

161945f85ebddd1b0.jpg

Overall it looks pretty stellar for a $99 guitar. The neck is comfy, much more so than the RG7321 I had some time ago. My only complaint is that the plastic nut seems pretty bad, but that can easily be replaced.

I think I foresee locking tuners, a graphtech nut, and some DiMarzio pups in the future for this :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
Damnit I wish I was around to get one of those in time :wallbash:

Nice lookin' guitar dude.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just called Washburn, and they have no idea what it's made out of. It could be alder or basswood... it's definitely heavier than the RG7321 was...

And the pics don't do the finish justice, it's reminiscent of the Ibanez Black Pearl finish but, well, red :lol:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Aside from the top strap thing looking weird as crap it looks pretty nice.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Looks great, even for a $99 guitar. I wish my 7321 had that finish color. And that price.:(

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I think I've got the upgrades planned out for this:

1) Graphtech Tusq nut (needed as the low B buzzes at the nut)
2) White DiMarzio Evo 7/Blaze bridge/neck pups
3) Satriani-esque wiring with push/pull pots and a 3 way switch, tone pot splits coils, volume pot acts as a killswitch, into a switchcraft jack :yesway:
4) White DiMarzio bell knobs
5) Dunlop strap locks

This will be the first time I've changed the nut on a guitar, so it should be interesting.

Sebastian

Reaction score
in Poland you cant get a good 7 for 99... and this Washburn is not so bad...

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
my red one came today, it has some orange peel in the finish, the low be string buzzes ike hell, and the neck is not even in the pocket like its not sitting flush, im taking the neck off and checking to see if its possibly paint inside the pocket making it uneven..are any of your guys guitars like this? my grey on eis damn near perfect...no so much this one tho but shit for 99.00 bucks its still sweet.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
my red one came today, it has some orange peel in the finish, the low be string buzzes ike hell, and the neck is not even in the pocket like its not sitting flush, im taking the neck off and checking to see if its possibly paint inside the pocket making it uneven..are any of your guys guitars like this? my grey on eis damn near perfect...no so much this one tho but shit for 99.00 bucks its still sweet.

I do have some buzz on the low B at the nut, but since I'm replacing that plastic POS I'm not that worried about it (and it seems to have mostly vanished since the guitar's been sitting tuned up for a day or so). As for the neck, the fretboard isn't parallel to the body, but as the strings line up correctly bridge -> nut I just assumed the necks on these were pitched...

Sweetbabyjezuz

Reaction score
I do have some buzz on the low B at the nut, but since I'm replacing that plastic POS I'm not that worried about it (and it seems to have mostly vanished since the guitar's been sitting tuned up for a day or so). As for the neck, the fretboard isn't parallel to the body, but as the strings line up correctly bridge -> nut I just assumed the necks on these were pitched...

Yeah I believe they are, I got mine yesterday do and noticed that and at first was freaking out thinking something was wrong, but after playing and everything and examining the strings they're all straight.

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
Sweet guitar man. Your guitar is an exact replica of my first WG587 color and everything alder body, except the $750.00 dollar price tag.:dime:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sweet guitar man. Your guitar is an exact replica of my first WG587 color and everything alder body, except the $750.00 dollar price tag.:dime:

Cool... it should be a damn nice guitar after a nut replacement and pickup swap... the stock pickups aren't bad per se, they're just nowhere near as good as DiMarzios, which I've gotten used to.

')