Waves PRS Supermodels

• Thread starter NosralTserrof
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NosralTserrof

Reaction score

So Waves teased this collab back at NAMM, but apparently the plugin dropped officially today. For those not in the know, it's a plugin model of 3 PRS amps; the V9, the Dallas, and the Archon.

I downloaded the demo right now, and hol-lee-shit, the Archon model sounds fantastic. As someone who owns an Archon, I've been looking for something to get me in that ballpark for recording, etc. The feel is really damn close, and with some 3rd party impulses, this thing rocks. I'll record a little demo tomorrow (it's 1 am here in the eastern States) but color me impressed.

And it's only like $50 right now! Legit kind of a steal.

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
Broken record, but if you have an Archon, and want something that sounds like an Archon for recording, have you considered a SM57? :lol:

Totally fair point :p I'm just used to playing with plugins that that would suit my workflow.

Also; noice. I live in my parents house which is tiny AF.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey, my place isn't huge either, but I don't have my parents to contend with. :lol: I'm mostly just being a smart-ass, but all the same at some point I'd definitely recommend at least *trying* micing up your amp to record. It doesn't have to be extremely loud to get good sounds, and it's a pretty cool way to get guitar tones down on disk.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sounds really good in the Alex Skolnick vid:

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Any other thoughts on this? Considering pulling the trigger while it is at $50.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I downloaded the trial version yesterday and, off the bat, wasn't as thrilled as I was hoping to be. Going to try and mess with it a bit more this weekend but the hour or so I spent with it left me in the meh zone. One of the clean models sounded better than the rest, can't remember which one.

I was hoping this would squash my Archon gas to some degree but didn't. Again, going to give it another test run over the weekend before ruling it out.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I downloaded the trial version yesterday and, off the bat, wasn't as thrilled as I was hoping to be. Going to try and mess with it a bit more this weekend but the hour or so I spent with it left me in the meh zone. One of the clean models sounded better than the rest, can't remember which one.

I was hoping this would squash my Archon gas to some degree but didn't. Again, going to give it another test run over the weekend before ruling it out.

This. I gave it 20 mins or so messing with presets and trying different settings.

A/B’d it against my go to Mercuriall ReAxis plug-in, no contest. Uninstalled already.

Appreciate the heads up and was stoked to try it, but it gets a resounding meh from me.

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
So on steinmetzify's suggestion, I tried out the Mercuriall plug.

Wow, that really does blow the PRS one out of the water, in terms of feel alone. Maybe my judgement was clouded because I *love* my Archon to bits, and it'd be so cool to have a good-feeling one ready to go on my Macbook.

Why are amp sims hard haha

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
So on steinmetzify's suggestion, I tried out the Mercuriall plug.

Wow, that really does blow the PRS one out of the water, in terms of feel alone. Maybe my judgement was clouded because I *love* my Archon to bits, and it'd be so cool to have a good-feeling one ready to go on my Macbook.

Why are amp sims hard haha

Dude I wanted to like it but compared to the Merc stuff, just no.

Not to make this a Merc thread as I’ve already done plenty of those, but they did Engl and Marshall sims as well, and those are fantastic too.

Keep in mind you can load actual Mesa TriAxis presets into ReAxis; tons of em on the interwebz...

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
https://kazrogplugins.com/amember/product/thermionik <-- $50 right now. Do yourself a favour and skip this waves garbage and get yourself some proper amps sims.

Like that video of Alex Skolnick video... great playing on it. Which is why it sounds nice. Ignore the playing and focus on the actual gain staging and the way notes decay and fizzle out. It sounds extremely digital. Not much better than Bias 2.

Metropolis

Reaction score
https://kazrogplugins.com/amember/product/thermionik <-- $50 right now. Do yourself a favour and skip this waves garbage and get yourself some proper amps sims.

Like that video of Alex Skolnick video... great playing on it. Which is why it sounds nice. Ignore the playing and focus on the actual gain staging and the way notes decay and fizzle out. It sounds extremely digital. Not much better than Bias 2.

Which impulses you like with Thermionik?

For the title itself I found Waves PRS Supermodels to be a bit underwhelming tonewise, and they are really hard on cpu. Never liked previous Waves amp models either. Devin's demo did sound quite good though.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Yeah these sound great IMO. I was using Helix but these just sound fantastic after just messing with it for a few minutes compared to Helix.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Which impulses you like with Thermionik?

For the title itself I found Waves PRS Supermodels to be a bit underwhelming tonewise, and they are really hard on cpu. Never liked previous Waves amp models either. Devin's demo did sound quite good though.
I use a set one of my skype teachers sent me that him and nolly made. :)

Reaction score
Hi guys !
I did demo of PRS SuperModels. For me, youshould use 3rd party impulse reponses, I coundn't get tone I like only using stock cabs. But overall, for its price its decent plugin !
Check it out: