waza metalzone

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Considering the cult status of the CE2, DM2, VB2 and DC2, all 4 being discontinued for years, then getting the Waza treatments, I reckon there would be a decent chance of a HM2 Waza in the future. The other one I'm going to guess is the DS1, which despite it's popularity in all musical levels, hasn't got the Waza treatment, yet...

Some that I want to see since everyone has already given their "I want a HM2 Waza" testimony:

OC2 OctaveR

Still somewhat popular, and the rare MIJ Octaver version is near impossible to find.

SG1 Slow Gear

One of the cult favorites, another rarity and one of Boss's more out there boxes.

DSD3 Digital Sampler Delay

Really on the strength of Doug Wimbish's pedal abuse. I wouldn't mind this one but it's not known enough.

PH1 Phaser

It's no Phase 90 but still good enough for Boss to reissue with that overpriced box, but this time without the stupid pricetag.

OD1 Overdrive

Semi ditto as per Phaser. Used originals cost an arm and a leg (look up a used CE2 for similar ballpark), so a Waza treatment would be nice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Maybe they aren’t making a Waza hm-2 because there’s no room physically left in the enclosure?

I’m not certain but, isn’t the HM-2 packed to the brim with components?

Shask

Reaction score
Maybe they aren’t making a Waza hm-2 because there’s no room physically left in the enclosure?

I’m not certain but, isn’t the HM-2 packed to the brim with components?
It would be SMT, so there would be plenty of extra room.

Shask

Reaction score
Surface Mount parts. Most smaller pedals are made with them now. Nearly impossible to fix or mod for the common person, but they make stuff easier and cheaper to build.

Most (all?) analog Boss pedals had thru-hole parts instead. Easier to mod and fix.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed, SMT components are definitely less user-serviceable than through-hole components. Many are no larger than a grain of sand. In Fabrication class in college, I had to show that I could cleanly solder an 0201 SMT resistor to a PCB. An 0201 package is 0.6mm by 0.3mm, so... pretty small.

tedtan

Reaction score
Yeah, they've done reissues of several discontinued pedals: the DM-2 analog delay, the CE-2 chorus, VB-2 vibrato and the DC-2 Dimension C.

I already have the DM-2w and CE-2w, and that DC-2w looks pretty interesting.

And the DC-2w is pre-ordered.

A blues player distortion comes from the cigarettes he smokes not from pedals.

That and the whiskey he drinks.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
There’s more space than you would think in a Boss pedal enclosure, the ‘digital metalizer’ pedal I have has two circuit boards in it, one SMD with a digital chorus and delay, and one through-hole with the distortion circuit on it.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I picked up an MT-2 today and quickly paired it with my EHX 44 Magnum. I have to admit, it sounded pretty good! Obviously not the greatest tone ever heard, but definitely night / day better than thru the front of any amp.

I'm going to get a little deep with it tomorrow, add my Amptweaker Defizzerator, and see where it leads me. With a little tweaking, I think playing the MT-2 this way is definitely a contender against some of the high end metal pedals out there.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
This has all been said 1000s of times -The Metal Zone was never terrible, it was just the weapon of mass destruction - err, choice of a lot of people who couldn't dial shit in to save themselves, most notably high-school kids with all the settings on max trying to play Metallica covers. Thus, it became a meme that terrible tone = Metalzone.

It was actually(unsure of used prices ATM) one of the best budget pre-amp pedals around. Then Ola's vid dropped (which was excellent) and everyone is now loosing their shit over it.

Honestly, the reason why it was so insanely popular when it came out is because there was literally NO other pedal with that kind of gain. I remember reading an issue of Guitar Player where they were doing a distortion pedal "shootout" and they said that they could barely get their hands on one to review because they were selling out everywhere. Granted, there were a few DOD pedals available but they were extremely 'fizzy' and Boss had the HM-2 but the Metal Zone was literally above & beyond any other pedal in that price range.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Got this rig working tonight, and it sounds pretty cool. The Amptweaker Defizzerator cuts all that high end fizz right now. This could definitely stand up in a practice or back up live environment.

mt2.jpg

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So is the Defizzerator just like a pre-set low-pass filter?

Yes, it is adjustable though. Very simple circuit. I kind of want to put one together to see how effective it is, pretty much all I do with the eq pedal in my recto’s effects loop is pull down the highest band slightly.

')