Weber 8CM100 - The building thread

• Thread starter Vostre Roy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Well hello SSO, I think it was about time I would make this thread. Dunno if this is the best place to put this thread, thought it was since its gear, but I still gotta make it myself, and I'll also do the headshell, so I guess it fits here.

Anyway, after assembling my Warmoth guitar, I thought about making myself a guitar from scratch. Problem was, I have no power tool, no woodworking skills and I live in an appartment. The more I thought about it, the more I was drawn back from that idea. Then, I thought about amps kits. Tools needed aren't as big and loud as woodworking tools, I can read schematics and I have basic knowledge in electricity, so I got myself some books, learnt some stuff about amps composent, looked again, and again, and some more, and even more the schematics given by Weber to finally tell myself: What the heck, lets try it.

So a month later, the amp kit arrived (amp kits I should say, as I ordered one with a friend, who got himself another model, the two channels Hale). 8CM100, wich is basically a copy of the Marshall JCM800, wich I love the tone to death. I was torn between that one and the 6O100 (Orange clone) kit, but this one seemed easier, therefore a more logical choice. Gotta say again, I'm far from being an electrical engineer, this is by far the hardest project I've tried so far. But its also the funniest and best project I've decided to do.

So here is some pics. I'm nowhere near completion, I'm going slowly and double-checks everything I do, trying to make that build as clean as possible.

The box. Heavy, indeed, weight of 75% of two amp heads.

p1000329n.jpg

So lets start!

p1000333c.jpg

Here is a picture of the Hale turret board. Pretty different from my 8CM100.

p1000334h.jpg

Fast-forward, pictures I just took. You can see some advance, but not much. Like I said, slow pace :lol:

p1000356wp.jpg

p1000358la.jpg

p1000359g.jpg

p1000357t.jpg

Since I finally took the time to make this thread, I shall upload it more frequently. I'm also putting more and more time, as much as I can basically. But I don't want to rush it, gotta spare money for the next amp kit, already planning it.

Cheers!

-Y.V.Roy

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joshuallen

Reaction score
I'd do this, but I know with absolute certainty that I'd electrocute myself.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I'd do this, but I know with absolute certainty that I'd electrocute myself.

I'm totally aware of that risk, especially since I got that the power transformer push up to 600v into the tubes. Reason why, when I'll plug it the first time, I will not be alone and I'll bring a friend with better electrical knowledge to help me unload every caps.

Still, gotta respect electricity, especially when there is enough power to possibly kill you lol

Amazing! where did you purchase the kit? I'd love to hear it in action

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits.htm

Several amp models, worth a look. If possible, I'll post clip when/if I finish it

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
Wishin' you much luck on the build Roy. It's great to see progress pics from what was once just a "I've got amp-kit gas" stage.

Also, good call on taking your time and making everything as neat and tidy as you can. Double, triple and quadruple check those connections. When it comes to electricity, you can never be too safe.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Wishin' you much luck on the build Roy. It's great to see progress pics from what was once just a "I've got amp-kit gas" stage.

Also, good call on taking your time and making everything as neat and tidy as you can. Double, triple and quadruple check those connections. When it comes to electricity, you can never be too safe.

Its all start with that, isn't it? :lol:

And yeah, I've read lots of stuff about amp works and such, like I said, there is enough power in there to grill fingers or even cause death, neither of wich I want to try so I'll do my best to avoid them ahhah.

Cheers Jon, been a while since we chatted on here, can't log on anymore myself at work

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
So, how about some pics?

All I did since the last ones is the filament wiring (green and yellow twisted one). Its a common practice to either twist them or put them close together in parallel to avoid some hum, according to my research (I'm learning eh). Those wires goes from the PT and run 6.3VAC to the tubes filament, aswell as the pilot light. They basically are the wire that heat up the tubes when its on hold.

p1000360d.jpg

p1000361uy.jpg

p1000362a.jpg

p1000363z.jpg

CHeers!

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Quick update:

- Capcans all wired
- 4A fuse wired
- Power supply connector wired
- Standby and Power switch wired
- B+ fuse half wired
- Realised and fixed a mistake: green wire of the filament was on the wrong pole of every preamp tube sockets :wallbash: gotta be more careful

Pretty much it. Turretboard is back on and I began to wire some stuff too.

Cheers!

p1000364e.jpg

p1000365q.jpg

p1000366i.jpg

p1000367r.jpg

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So much wiring. So many resistors. You're a champ for undertaking a project like this since lots of people seem to be intimidated with just wiring their guitars.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
So much wiring. So many resistors. You're a champ for undertaking a project like this since lots of people seem to be intimidated with just wiring their guitars.

Well thanks, wouldn't consider myself a champ but it does include an handful of risks since I might just blow everything up and have a 500+$ hole in my bank account for nothing :lol:

Anyway, here's my back-from-the-banned update:

p1000371u.jpg

p1000370g.jpg

p1000368a.jpg

p1000369v.jpg

p1000372lj.jpg

Whats left? 1-2 wires for the preamp, finish the bias wiring and wire the impedance switch and jacks. So I might plug that monster this weekend, stay tuned.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
Looking good so far! Man, I can´t imagine how hard it would suck if it doesn´t work on the first go. Do you seriously have to check every single thing?

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
BOUT TIME ROY!!!!

Hey bob, nice to see that you are back from the banned land too! Can't wait to plug it in and realise how much stuff I did wong :lol:

Looking good so far! Man, I can´t imagine how hard it would suck if it doesn´t work on the first go. Do you seriously have to check every single thing?

I actually fear that something will go wrong, hopes not but still given my knowledge, I got to keep my chance of success low ahah. I will actually do a first check by soldering my stuff, as a lot of stuff are just tied together, not solded yet. Then I'll check if everything seems fine with my multimeter and then I'll plug it.

I'm half afraid of plugin it in the wall, but I think its the right feeling in the situation lol

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Quick-pictureless update!

Almost done with all the soldering job (I placed a lot of wire without soldering them as most of the work is to actually cut and place all the wires, solder them is the easy part lol). The bias pots are wired, all left is the impedance switch + 5-6 wires on my preamp sockets, and I still has to ground the poweramp's tube sockets.

This amp will be turned on tomorrow. Hopes for the best

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Quick update, pictures to come tonight.

Soldered everything, realised that there might be a mistake on the Layout they provide (especially when compared to the schematics), so I need to re-check that. Power on, the pilot light doesn't light up, and that is a big problem, means that my heater circuit is failing, gotta check were the problem is coming from.

Now I almost fear to touch my amp, as it had bee powered on. Gonna unload each capacitor before I'll work again in it.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
I'm quite intrigued to see how this pans out, good luck to you bro.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I'm quite intrigued to see how this pans out, good luck to you bro.

Thanks a bunch man!

Quick update, I should post pictures by tomorrow, kinda short in time. Though I had the time to at least do a little check and test, filaments (and pilot light) are now working fine, I even had sound coming out of the cab! (though the B+ fuse shutdown the circuit lol). Its a small victory already :yesway:

')