Weird tunings

• Thread starter Joespeakstexan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oops I meant F was too low, my mistake...:wallbash:

Just making sure we're on the same page!

Does anyone have any bizarre tunings for some doom? I'm working on some riffs for a band that's influenced by Electric Wizard, MORS, bongripper, Orange Goblin, and so on. It will obviously be down-tuned, but I'm trying to find something real weird to tune to for some earth-crushing chord progressions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score

Does anyone have any bizarre tunings for some doom? I'm working on some riffs for a band that's influenced by Electric Wizard, MORS, bongripper, Orange Goblin, and so on. It will obviously be down-tuned, but I'm trying to find something real weird to tune to for some earth-crushing chord progressions.

Honestly I like the Devin Townsend tuning for crushing riffs. That's CGCGCE on 6 and a lower G for 7. Messing around with it with incorrect gauges is a little underwhelming but trust me, once you have a proper tension setup for that there's nothing more crushing.

Reaction score
Honestly I like the Devin Townsend tuning for crushing riffs. That's CGCGCE on 6 and a lower G for 7. Messing around with it with incorrect gauges is a little underwhelming but trust me, once you have a proper tension setup for that there's nothing more crushing.

Good call. I will play around with this and see what I can come up with!

Antipode

Reaction score
I like open tunings - play blues mostly. D becomes DF#ADF#AD, E is EG#BEG#BE, G is DGBDGBD. Really tight boxes and minors and sevenths are a cinch behind the slide.
Cheers - Rick

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score

Open powerchord tnnings are great for this.
Like EAEAEAE (fifth fourth fifth fourth, etc.)

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've often wondered where "normal" tuning come from too. I'm a theory novice.
In a nutshell, it's a good compromise between chording and scale runs in 1st position.

Ray

Reaction score
I've been toying with (low to high): A E B F# C# E F. It's really a downtuned combination of New Standard Tuning and Hardcore Tuning.

Antimatter

Reaction score
I had an Idea of something like that. A six string baritone tuned in A E B F# B E

Unfortunately funds aren't available, and I have not been able to implement it.

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
Been planning on tuning to GCGCFAD (drop A, drop D, down one whole step) but first I need the strings for it.
I got the strings for it! Now I just need the time to put 'em on and set up the Floyd Rose...... :wallbash:

Edit: Holy shit, this tuning kicks arse! I'm finding it pretty much impossible to not sound evil, especially with the awesome drones you can get going on with the octave factor on the four thickest strings.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Weird tuning is A#FA#D#GCE. I like how it sounds, because when tuning the first three strings its 5th fret on the G to get C then 4th on the C to get E. Great for barre chords and more shredability.

')