Weird tunings

• Thread starter Joespeakstexan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Travmack199

Reaction score
When I got my first guitar It was in Open C (dude I bought it from loved Devin Townsend, and liked his open tunings for METLULZ)

I instantly tuned it to drop C and learned metalcore songs liek a fag I am.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;2116720 said:
major triad + maj7 + maj9 = maj9 chord

No, a m11 also assumes a minor 7th, a major 9, AND a perfect 11. Or you could say "m11 (no7)".

By the same token, wouldn't a m9 chord also assume a minor seventh?

So m9 = 1 b3 5 b7 9
m11 = 1 b3 5 b7 9 11
m9 add 11 = 1 b3 5 b7 9 11

If it lacks the b7, like 1 b3 5 9 11, then it could be called m11 (no7) or m add 9 add 11, but I think most guitarists and pianists would just call it a m11, because the minor seventh could be implied from the 3rd, 9th, and 11th harmonics, since the b7 is approximated by the 7th natural harmonic.

I used to have a Samick tuned G3 A3 B3 C#4 D#4 F4 G4 with one of Garry Goodman's strings for the high G.

danny taylor

Hollow Solution
Reaction score
I've been using F, A#, F, A#, D#, G, C on my RG7421. String gauges are as follows:
F-.075, A#-.065, F-.042, A#-.032, D#-.024w, G-.016, C-.012

Great for making jazzy/ambient soundscapes and still plenty of string tension.

That's the same tuning I use with my 7421 and I love it, written a whole album in that tuning:shred:

theclap

Reaction score
This is my favorite makes chord shapes easy and easy to imply voice leading and scales but keeps you in and around A.
A E B F# A E

I haven't done this on a seven string yet but i have a friend that plays the following for ALL of his music on his 7 string.
A E A E E B E

BuriedAtKyle

Reaction score
My band uses AEADGBE. There is a local band where I'm from (They Will Fall) who uses EAGCFG#C# (I think that's correct. I know they tune a low E then drop a for the other 6 and tune the two top strings up a whole step or a half step. Really good sound.:hbang:

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Mithras tunes like a down tuned 6 with an added high string.

A# D# G# C# F A# D#

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I have one tuning that I so far have only used for a fingerstyle arrangement of the Mario 2 overworld theme, adapted from a slightly goofier 6-string tuning of G C G G D A high to low (actually D G D D A E capoed at the fifth fret). I can't remember exactly how I had it tuned, but I've reconstructed it to G C G D G D A. If I were actually playing it right now, I might change that first D to a C or something else, but on paper this looks good.

pulleeahfickoh

Reaction score
Hey dudes, first time posting in here!
A couple 6 string tunings I'm using, low to high:

-C# G# C# F# B C#
Pretty normal but barred chords sound great especially if you ring out the 2 high strings open

-G# F# B E G# C#
kind of like a 7 minus the low e. dropped real low on a 6. I have my Setius in this with a low .56

-and this one below is my favorite as of now, minor and perfect for dark middle-eastern sounding chords.
C -G- C- G- C- Eb
also sounds great in B
B F# B F# B D

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I don't use any weird tunings on my 6 strings (just drop and standard ones) unless I'm trying to cover/learn a song that calls for it.

I have one 7 tuned to drop A and another in A# standard, which are also pretty normal.

I've considered changing up my A# standard guitar to be C, F, A, D, G, B, E from low to high. This could make for some cool chord shapes and intervals, while also allowing me to make good use of the D'addario 10-59 set, which would be pretty much perfect tension-wise for that tuning :D laziness and creativity in one!

fantasyl

Reaction score
tried some of the tunings listed here and they were lot of fun, thanks! If you have some songs showing off the tuning I'd be glad to listen (also via pm, don't want to deraille the discussion)

Schizo Sapiens

Reaction score
Recently I discovered two sweet open tunings which are not too far away from standard:

* Open C#m7 for 6-string (low to high): C# G# C# G# B E

* 7-string version of that, Open G#m7: G# D# G# D# F# B D# (previous tuning shifted down + high D# string).
You can also do it halfstep higher - AEAEGCE - if you're not afraid (like me) to tune D-string whole tone up.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Someone please write a song in eb e e# eb e e# using all the strings

col

blah.
Reaction score
I have one guitar in AEAEAAE. The double A-string works for dissonant chords very well.

Alpha-Dee

Reaction score
Not sure if this has come up in some form or another but I've been digging GEADGBE lately. I play in AEADGBE or ADADGBE mostly, but I use this when I want to change things up a bit.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm working on writing new material in 19-EDO tuning.

The idea is low to high E A D G B E, but it's different because:

Using a good tuner, I tune my A string (5th string) to 110 Hz, exactly, then tune D 5.3 cents sharp, both E's 5.3 cents flat, the G 10.5 cents sharp, the B 10.5 cents flat.

The fretboard of the guitar is modified to have 19 frets per octave, so I can reach unison at the 8th fret (which is where the closest approximation to a fourth is found).

Krazy Kalle

Reaction score
My 7String was only tuned AEADGBE till now. I'll try some the tunings that came up here!

On my 6String I tried all the "weird" tunings from the guys from Periphery and i really love 'em!

')