Weirdest-Coolest Guitar Features

• Thread starter patata
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I have just been informed that all Carvin guitars have Tracking chips in them in case they get stolen. All guitars should have these!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
I have just been informed that all Carvin guitars have Tracking chips in them in case they get stolen. All guitars should have these!

Not a tracking chip, it's a passive RFID microchip. They also inject them into pets, so they can be scanned by shelters. Basically you register your chip online and then if it gets scanned (say your Carvin gets stolen, cops see one strikingly similar at a pawn shop, and scan it) you get emailed. It's not like a GPS tracker or something.

carcass

Reaction score
Recently I found Michael Kelly Hybrid Special and I think very cool feature on this guitar is magnetic/acoustic blend control, seems to me like great sonical posibilities:

Michael%20Kelly%20Hybrid%20Special%20Diagram.jpg

celticelk

Reaction score
Recently I found Michael Kelly Hybrid Special and I think very cool feature on this guitar is magnetic/acoustic blend control, seems to me like great sonical posibilities:

Michael%20Kelly%20Hybrid%20Special%20Diagram.jpg

That's actually fairly standard on piezo systems - if you select both electric and acoustic pickups simultaneously, you can use their respective volumes as "blend" controls (usually, I would imagine, by maxing one and blending the other to taste). Still pretty cool, though.

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
Though it's not a guitar, the Steinberger "Fretted/Fretless" prototype bass may be my favorite. Besides the usual Steinberger weirdness, the knob on the end of the neck lowers the frets into the fretboard and makes it fretless.

xm2fl1.jpg

xm2fl2.jpg

xm2fl3.jpg

xm2fl4.jpg

This won the thread imo.

carcass

Reaction score
That's actually fairly standard on piezo systems - if you select both electric and acoustic pickups simultaneously, you can use their respective volumes as "blend" controls (usually, I would imagine, by maxing one and blending the other to taste). Still pretty cool, though.

Yes, I think your right and this is not "weird" in the full meaning, but I consider this to be really cool feature, so I included it in this thread :)

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
You can add/move frets on this guitar to allow for virtually any type of temperament.

[Youtubevid]MYK_PF9WTRE[/Youtubevid]

mikrofoto.jpg

8 strings...t0tal dj0nt.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Ben Weinman's built-in wireless is rawesomely cool!

...and where did I recently re-see that bass with the pickup that could be angled via a pivot point on the treble side?

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
This.. The Tremologic..
Blog-Giessen-Tremologic.jpg

IA Eklundh was the first dude I saw using it, on that specific guitar too!
It works like an Evertune but with "tremolo-arms" on every saddle so you can bend any string you want without the others going out of tune..

I think IA's got one with that bridge and True Temp Fret's too!

..don't know which bridge came first, the Evertune or the Tremologic..

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
So a guitar with sliding pickups,fretted/no fretted switch and tremologic.

I actually think this would make a great insturment on the right hands.Pretty abstract too.

')