Weirdest Trade Offer I've yet received

• Thread starter golem
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

golem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've definitely had people offer me shockingly large amounts of Marijuana, years before it was legalized, but this one was pretty odd. The item I was selling is worth about $700-800 give or take. I was asking $700.

It's supposedly a 1967 Bassman that someone converted into a 2X10 combo. I probably would've gone for it if it was a just a head in good condition. But this... this actually kind of hurts me to see.
weird CBS era Bassman.jpg

Back.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

golem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That is strange indeed

So if this a thread about the weird/funny/cool people want trade you...I could share some.
Go for it!

I’ve had a few people want you trade me guns or knives but they always wanted full retail pricing and I hadn’t taken up the hobby at that point

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been offered "Medibles" multiple times. I live in a state where I can walk 5 minutes down the street and buy as many thc edibles as I want so I'm not sure why they thought that would be enticing. And my most recent favorite was from a guy I've done business with multiple times- really nice guy. email excerpt: "I would much rather a (generous) trade rather than cash. I have a Pioneer VSX-1015TX (an amazing unit, made in Japan) which I am no longer using. Or, behind the other curtain, a vintage (2004) Apple G5 workstation, if you are into that sort of thing. I also have glassware and ceramics. Maybe we can make this happen?" - I thought the presentation there was pretty amusing. I was going to take him up on the Pioneer but the item in question sold on Reverb before I could get back to him.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had a 4x12 cab up for sale and one of the photos in the listing had some other gear visible, which I specifically mentioned in the ad was not for sale. Naturally, a guy emailed me offering a "fast Honda Prelude" for the cabinet and almost all of the other gear from that one photo :facepalm: I asked for more details out of a morbid curiosity, but I worked out another deal for the cab before he ever got back to me anyway :shrug:

Like everyone else, I've been offered a lot of garbage gear and old consumer electronics for my stuff. Always fun when the same couple of guys offer you the same couple of items every time you put something up for sale too :lol:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Seriously though, when I'd post guitars or gear on cl, I'd get people offering tattoo work in exchange...so much so I would have put NO TATTOOS in my ads

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Huh, never had anything strange (but then, I don't list on local sites). I DID get a guy wanting to trade a bunch of jewelry. He seemed nice, but I have no idea how I'd even go about figuring out if the stuff was really gold, stolen, etc. And it was nowhere near enough even if it was real.

This has the potential to be a great thread, though. There are definitely some crazy people out there.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I listed my friend's Dean Mustaine V a few years ago, asking for about £650 for it I think. Got a message from a guy saying "I'm a student and I'm broke, but I *really* want this, it's my dream guitar. Would you take £30 and an original PlayStation?"

')