Well my $99 Washburn came too!

• Thread starter B Lopez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
That neck wood looks pretty damn good for the price! :eek:

For that price it makes an awesome backup beater.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I got mine yesterday as well. In the short time I was able to spend with it I came to the conclusion there are worse ways to spend $99. Mine is gonna need a setup to address the intonation and generally just to bring it up to speed. I hope to have a few hours this weekend to really put it through its paces and see if its a keeper.

Cheers

Ed

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Speaking of Washburn, there's a super cool Washburn USA Sonic 7 on ebay right now.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
I ordered the Washburn X27 7-string from Musicians Friend for $199.00
Maybe I paid too much, but at that price, it is still reasonable. I was going to ask everyone at sevenstring.org if it was a decent guitar, then I saw this thread

I may end up having the pick ups tweaked,a preamp added because the neck and body seem to be decent.
The only color choice seems to be black,which is fine.

I never owned a 7-string guitar, so I will see how this one plays

Dersu

Reaction score
2. Dersu - don't give up. Can you get a refund/exchange? Still, even if not, 99$ is a good amount to have to lose on a deal like this if it's karma or whatever. :lol: Coulda been a couple of hundred (bright side of life). I'd say, see what you can do, and if nothing, then just save a bit and get another guitar. :hbang:

When I called them after I received the damaged guitar they had told me they were saving 1 for me for replacement. I called them today to see what was happening and they said that they sold out and couldn't get me another. I'm trying to get them to replace it for a black model, which they still have in stock, but the person on the line wouldn't do it for me. I asked to speak to her manager (she said they were on the line and busy :scream: )told me they would call me back and I have yet to hear back from them.

A) I'm incredibly pissed that they sold me a guitar that was damaged before they sent it to me.
B) I'm pissed that they lied to me, when they explicitly told me they had 1 in stock to replace it with.

Dersu- Holy crap I cant believe they sent you that, thats brutal.

PS, where are you in the bay?

I live in Marin county right now. Living in Mill Valley atm, but I don't think I'm going to stick around here much longer. Not my kind of place.

Edit: Yay, I was able to get in touch with one of the higher ups and they're sending me a black version for the same price. The woman was quite nice and also sent it with 2 day shipping. I wish they were more organized though. It was kind of difficult to go through to entire process of returning and getting a new guitar. I'm happy now though.

jthurm77

Reaction score
When I called them after I received the damaged guitar they had told me they were saving 1 for me for replacement. I called them today to see what was happening and they said that they sold out and couldn't get me another. I'm trying to get them to replace it for a black model, which they still have in stock, but the person on the line wouldn't do it for me. I asked to speak to her manager (she said they were on the line and busy :scream: )told me they would call me back and I have yet to hear back from them.

A) I'm incredibly pissed that they sold me a guitar that was damaged before they sent it to me.
B) I'm pissed that they lied to me, when they explicitly told me they had 1 in stock to replace it with.

I live in Marin county right now. Living in Mill Valley atm, but I don't think I'm going to stick around here much longer. Not my kind of place.

Edit: Yay, I was able to get in touch with one of the higher ups and they're sending me a black version for the same price. The woman was quite nice and also sent it with 2 day shipping. I wish they were more organized though. It was kind of difficult to go through to entire process of returning and getting a new guitar. I'm happy now though.

Hi, new guy here. You and me might be the only ones to get the WG587 in black for the same price. In my situation, they had simply sold out of the gray/red after I had already placed my order over a day in advance of them selling out. They told me there was nothing they could do about it. Naturally, I stayed on their ass the whole time I was on the phone to MAKE them do something about it. I told them to go ahead and send me an Ibanez RG1527 in it's place for the same price.

I finally got to talk to someone else and the guy told me they still had the black ones. I told him to send me one for $99.99 and he later told me that he'd do it for $125. I again said..."Noooooooo....give it to me for $99.99, sense you guys screwed up and plus because it is the SAME EXACT guitar, only a different color." I was put on hold for a bit and then he finally came back with the right answer. I just recieved it today and it really is a SWEEEET deal for $99.99. Anyhow, I'm glad it worked out for you as well. :yesway:

SHREDTOKILL

LOW AND SLOW
Reaction score
I ordered the Washburn X27 7-string from Musicians Friend for $199.00
Maybe I paid too much, but at that price, it is still reasonable. I was going to ask everyone at sevenstring.org if it was a decent guitar, then I saw this thread

I may end up having the pick ups tweaked,a preamp added because the neck and body seem to be decent.
The only color choice seems to be black,which is fine.

I never owned a 7-string guitar, so I will see how this one plays

i just got one dude.
there pretty alright for a washburn.
they need new pickups.
im gonna throw some 707's in it.
and dude you should have ordered from american musical.com
they got them for 150 bro!

Reaction score
Dersu, that sucks! I am sorry you are going through this garbage.

I got mine in fine shape, but the wood on the neck looks nowhere near as nice as B. Lopez'. You scored "B"! I really like mine! The neck wood is not a pretty, but the guitar is solid. The second photo shows a tried and true scarf joint. This allows a strong peghead on guitars with a tilted back peghead.

The bridge was set up spookliy well, and only a 1/2 turn away from the neck on the bass side, got it to near was perfection. The fret work, and neck straightness and string relief are scary-good.:yesway:

One note: .070" on the low "B" is the MAX that will fit through the holes on the tuner pegs. I feel that the ratio 18:1 is too quick. This point is kinda dick-y, because of the total cost of this instrument.

Anyhow, here are a few pics:

000_0117.jpg

000_0118.jpg

SPARKLES!
000_0119.jpg

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
mmm sparkly, that neck joint is pretty nice lookin :yesway:

Reaction score
BTW, The body appears to be Basswood. A look into pickup pockets revealed a yellowy wood, with no discernable growth rings. It looks very un-Alder-like to my eyes.

Dersu

Reaction score
Are the X27 and the WG-587 the same guitar?

I heard the bridge pickup was OK on these but the neck was muddy and sounded awful so I bought a Dimarzio D Activator neck pickup to replace it.

Dumb question, but since this guitar doesn't have a floating bridge is it ok if I take all the strings off to replace the neck pickup and won't have to worry about ruining the guitar? I've never replaced a pickup before and have always replaced 1 string at a time since almost completely ruining my first guitar almost 13 years ago. Anyone have any advice on replacing it? (yeah, I know there are lots of step by step guides out there but I wondered if anything would be different on this one) You can all point at me and laugh now if you like.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
On a hardtail guitar it's safe to take all the strings off. Some people still change strings one at a time to keep relatively consistent tension on the neck, but it's not necessary.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the X27 and the WG-587 the same guitar?

I heard the bridge pickup was OK on these but the neck was muddy and sounded awful so I bought a Dimarzio D Activator neck pickup to replace it.

Dumb question, but since this guitar doesn't have a floating bridge is it ok if I take all the strings off to replace the neck pickup and won't have to worry about ruining the guitar? I've never replaced a pickup before and have always replaced 1 string at a time since almost completely ruining my first guitar almost 13 years ago. Anyone have any advice on replacing it? (yeah, I know there are lots of step by step guides out there but I wondered if anything would be different on this one) You can all point at me and laugh now if you like.

Yup you can do all the strings at one time without any problems. Actually, you can on a floyd too you just need to put something under the trem to hold it in place and know how to tune it back up properly. If you still have a guitar with a floyd there's tons of info you'd probably find useful here:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

')