Well now this is interesting...Ego

• Thread starter Splinterhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
I poo poo this....

Why wouldn't they just build a regular guitar pedal that synthesized bass in the same way?!

Imagine having this in your live rig.... are you gonna put one of these pickups, AND a stereo output jack in every stage guitar you own?

No. You are going to find a pedal that synthesizes bass for all of your guitars....

This sucks. IMHO>

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
A conventional guitar pedal will never do what this pick-up does. It's a niche little gimmick that addresses a niche market for sure. I'd hazard that even people who bought this, installed it on only one of their fiddles. Because even they'd like to have...various regular neck pick-ups on their guitars.

I don't have any use for a little thunder. But I can see it used in a power-trio band with a guitarist, a drummer-percussionist and one more random instrument.

PS: Hasn't the pickup been on the market for quite some time now??? The combo (Ego guitar) looks cool anyhow.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking the pickup is a bit of a novelty...they guitar reminds me of a combination of a Strandberg and HotWheels.

laxu

Reaction score
The guitar is rather ugly but the pickup is interesting. I agree that it might've been better as a pedal.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno, but I'd love to pick one up and play it.

My general thoughts are:

1. The octave drop output could have some uses.
2. That guitar looks interesting. I did some digging and it also comes in a multiscale seven string. I will try to post a picture from the website.
3. The fact that the octave drop is integrated into the neck pickup seems unnecessarily limiting to me. Maybe there's some technology that makes it important to be that way, but I'd have to be convinced.

my-ego.jpg

Edit: the neck pocket/heel was the first thing that caught my attention. Fret access seems to go beyond where there are frets. Not sure why that is, but it has me interested. The FF7 seems to have a notable lack of carbon fiber compared to the six. I'm a little disappointed in that. Oh well. I'm not sold on the detachable arm rest and electronics compartment, but I would not mind trying it out. I love "different" stuff like this, and it if actually all serves some cool purpose, then I'd be pretty much "wowed."

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
^^ I hate the orange but that one's pretty awesome :)

Ape Factory

Reaction score
Bridge seems like a Strandberg copy. Like the neck joint idea. Big secure joint yet still has easy access. There doesn't seem to be many of these around so quality is an unknown but the price is realistic and there are tons of wood options. I'm tempted.

EGO Guitar - MarconiLAB

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
I don't really care for the guitar, but that little thunder pickup... YUM! Been looking for something similar for years.

Latest posts

')