Were you ever in a band that you thought "could make it big?" (my musical life story)

• Thread starter Xaios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I was once. :shrug:

When I was in high school, I was in a 5 piece band, "Know Reason." We weren't really together for very long basically from October 2003 to May 2004. But in the short time we were around the Kelowna scene, we managed to gain a bit of a following. Our sound was reasonably metallic, kind of what would happen if you mixed Tool with Testament. But it was also fairly radio-friendly, as our song structures were fairly simple. This was a notable accomplishment at the time as Kelowna's scene was (and still is) otherwise soaked in emo/screamo bands.

We recorded a demo in 2003. It was definitely our most radio-friendly stuff, had as much of a Linkin Park sound to it as it did our other influences, but that's basically where we started, nu-metal with solos. It was only towards the end that we really developed a harder edge. At the time we recorded the demo, there was a big battle of the bands type thingamajig going on across the valley to get a spot on a compilation disc made up of all local bands that would be mass marketed. It got entries from over 300 bands all over the Okanagan valley. We submitted our demo, and we placed 5th, which earned us the opportunity to re-record the song that they choose in a professional studio with a professional producer (guy named Kevin Kane, was in a band in the late 80's called The Grapes Of Wrath), a professional engineer... hell, everything professional. So, in May 2004 we went into the studio and made this:

EDIT: Apparently we can't post Soundclick widgets anymore. Lame. Here's the link: SoundClick artist: A Place Of Fate - page with MP3 music downloads

Of course, the band didn't last. There were internal conflicts, it was basically set up as me, the other guitarist and the bass player, versus the singer and the drummer. And there were other problems too. We were all fairly immature. I was the oldest one and I was only 17. I knew I was being forced to move the Yukon as soon as I graduated, and I was in my last year of high school. Plus, the other guitarist was a chronic pothead who got into the harder stuff not long after the band fizzled. At 15 years old, he was in rehab for a cocaine addiction. The bass player was just plain garden-variety high-school immature at the time. The singer and drummer were divas. (Just FYI, this recording doesn't represent the singer at his best, as we only had one day we could record this song and he had strep throat.)

So, that was that. My dreams of becoming a rock star flew out the window. :wallbash:

Perhaps the worst part is that the song was finally released a few months after I moved away. I'm told it actually got some decent attention from some good sized labels, and that they were disappointed to find out we were no longer together.

Still though, I have fond memories of the time I spent with the band, generally speaking we were all good friends. I still talk to everyone but the drummer on a regular basis, and the only reason I don't talk to him is because he dropped off the face of the earth. The singer, who is actually an extremely skilled jazz pianist, makes a living doing that. The bass player, who now plays guitar, plays in a band called "Secret and Whisper," who have a pretty decent following. The other guitarist never really got his life together. Last year he was busted for the first time for trafficking. Shame, he has real talent.

And me... I just kinda survive. I'm only 24, and I'm a much better guitarist than I was back then, but at this point, I pretty much feel like my time has passed.

So, that's my musical life story. Hope you enjoyed. :)

If you have a story like this, feel free to share.

And message to guitarists who HAVE made it (looking at you Bulb :squint:), perhaps you can give the rest of us some pointers? Eh? ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
So you just gave up. I'm only 15 but my thoughts are that if you are dedicated to meet that rock star status you shouldn't just stop because of one band you did in HS. For one find members that you will actually be friends with. Everybody has those dream super groups but the problem is would it last long. Look at Rush. Pretty much the whole band started out through a friendship rather than you see somebody at GC with a CC shirt that can shred loomis licks and you just invite them over cus they can play. That is all my thoughts on it but seems to me that you weren't getting along very well from the beginning.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
When I was in high school, I was in this rock/pop punk band. We played a lot of shows, and had a fairly decent following. Sent our demo out to labels. We had some labels that were very interested, and who even wanted to have us sign with them. At the end of the day we knew that we couldnt go on as a group anymore. I was moving in a couple of years, and we were all college bound. So that kind of ended that whole thing. Sometimes I wonder if we went through with that what might of happened, or could have become of it. I later moved back, and we started a metal band (exact same members), but once again we were all busy with college, and some of the members just stopped liking what we were doing, or moved away. I have pretty much given up any ambitions of playing shows or having a steady band anymore. Just play by myself and having fun and being happy with what i write. I will record all of my stuff and have it available for people to listen to. If they like it I will be more than happy, and if they dont I dont think i will care.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So you just gave up. I'm only 15 but my thoughts are that if you are dedicated to meet that rock star status you shouldn't just stop because of one band you did in HS. For one find members that you will actually be friends with. Everybody has those dream super groups but the problem is would it last long. Look at Rush. Pretty much the whole band started out through a friendship rather than you see somebody at GC with a CC shirt that can shred loomis licks and you just invite them over cus they can play. That is all my thoughts on it but seems to me that you weren't getting along very well from the beginning.

Methinks you didn't read my post particularly carefully. :spock:

My particular situation was that I was forced to move, and there was literally nothing I could do about it. Kelowna was a dead pit job wise if you didn't at least have a college education, something I didn't, and when my family moved away, I had to come because if I stayed, I wouldn't have been able to survive.

Also, we were, and continue to be friends, before we started a band.

And while the idea of finding members I can be friends with seems like a dandy idea, where I live I'm limited by the population. There is literally no one in this town that both shares my musical interests and has the technical ability to play what I want to. I've been looking for 6 years.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
Methinks you didn't read my post particularly carefully. :spock:

My particular situation was that I was forced to move, and there was literally nothing I could do about it. Kelowna was a dead pit job wise if you didn't at least have a college education, something I didn't, and when my family moved away, I had to come because if I stayed, I wouldn't have been able to survive.

Also, we were, and continue to be friends, before we started a band.

And while the idea of finding members I can be friends with seems like a dandy idea, where I live I'm limited by the population. There is literally no one in this town that both shares my musical interests and has the technical ability to play what I want to. I've been looking for 6 years.

protip on the same side of this boid, bropeth:

they don;t have to be local.

One of the bands i was in (the only one that ever toured with) had members from Maryland, Virginia, and north carolina. we made it work.

though i will never play hip-hop again.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
protip on the same side of this boid, bropeth:

they don;t have to be local.

One of the bands i was in (the only one that ever toured with) had members from Maryland, Virginia, and north carolina. we made it work.

though i will never play hip-hop again.

I don't mean to sound negative, but the degree of separation that I would have to contend with is a little more... extreme. The Yukon is an area almost the size of France with only 30,000 people. The nearest major city, Edmonton, is more than 1200 miles away.

Does anyone else have any stories though? I'm not looking to restart that band and I've moved in a different direction, I'm not seeking advice on the matter. I just want to hear your stories and experiences.

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
I have high hopes for my current project, Persepolis. A cross between death/black/thrash/doom/ambient/industrial metal. Half of our lineup is from local legends Thrill of a Gunfight (on tour now, message me for tour dates). We are working on our debut EP right now, with guest musicians ranging from garage band status to household name status.

I have been working my ass off with this band over the past 7 months, and it's finally paying off. 95% of the people who have listened to just our MIDI demos say we have it, and to not give up. This makes me feel very proud, as I have written all of the material so far.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have high hopes for my current project, Persepolis. A cross between death/black/thrash/doom/ambient/industrial metal. Half of our lineup is from local legends Thrill of a Gunfight (on tour now, message me for tour dates). We are working on our debut EP right now, with guest musicians ranging from garage band status to household name status.

I have been working my ass off with this band over the past 7 months, and it's finally paying off. 95% of the people who have listened to just our MIDI demos say we have it, and to not give up. This makes me feel very proud, as I have written all of the material so far.

That's great dude, I hope it goes well for you. :)

Reaction score
And me... I just kinda survive. I'm only 24, and I'm a much better guitarist than I was back then, but at this point, I pretty much feel like my time has passed.

So, that's my musical life story. Hope you enjoyed. :)

If you have a story like this, feel free to share.

And message to guitarists who HAVE made it (looking at you Bulb :squint:), perhaps you can give the rest of us some pointers? Eh? ;)

24? Hell, you've got plenty of time, especially if you make good music and have drive to succeed.

Pointing out Bulb specifically, I think he is like 25 or 26, and the majority of his popularity and musical success seems to have occurred over the past 2-3 years. Sure the cumulative road for Periphery was much longer, but Periphery really had a lot of lineup issues among other things as they were coming to be. No need to give up yet, man.

I don't have a failure story yet. Gimme 10 years and a meth addiction, then we can talk. ;)

Edit: I also want to note that the type of music that I play hasn't, traditionally, been particularly capable of making it "big." No matter how big you are in the business or community, progressive metal just doesn't get you tons of money and girls. All I want is to have some people listen to my releases as I make them. I'll make money in a slightly more realistic fashion. lol

Reaction score
I was drumming in Led Zeppelin for a while, but then I pretended to die and got a name change.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
I was drumming in Led Zeppelin for a while, but then I pretended to die and got a name change.
hahah

That song the op posted is great. Its somethign i can totally hear getting airplay on the radio. Shame that it didnt work out with you all though. I feel the same way as you do Im about to turn 24 and all ready i feel like im too old to accomplish what i want musically and that my time has passed.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Ill just tell you the highlights, you dont want to hear the boring parts.

Joined a band
Got told we were going to the US to record our debut album
Lived & recorded with Christian Olde Wolbers of Fear Factory/Arkaea
VIP pass at the Whisky to see God Forbid (old friends of mine)
Got REALLY drunk with Jon & Pat from Threat Signal & passed out on Raymond Herrera's lounge room floor
Recording at a studio Fleetwood Mac used to own
ESP gave me a custom KH to use while there
Spent $3000 on Denny's in 3 weeks...true story.
Came home & opened for Static-X, Dope & Soil...not my favourite bands but it was still cool
Got signed by Warner Music Australia
I left the band because the rest of the dudes bar 1 were douches
Album eventually came out & is selling really well
I know get cheques for album sales forever

This was a pretty big deal...for me anyway. Being a country boy & only being 21 at the time.
Anyway, theres my story... so far!

:hbang:

My current project is www.myspace.com/warshifteraus

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I wouldnt define my story as 'making it' but 2005 to 2010 was spent with a metalcore band. We managed to get on some great tours and had some amazing experiences. I managed to tour Australia 12 or so times, tour New Zealand too many times to count, played main stage of Big Day Out 2008 (opening for Rage Against the Machine on a stadium sized stage, it was so much fun) and

We then went did a 6 week tour of south east asia, australia and japan (we all quit work to do)

Unfortunately a restricted songwriting process, and complete opposite opinions regarding the bands future, and my decision to stop being vegetarian (the band was a vegan/vegetarian metalcore band, kinda like a kiwi version of Maroon/Arkangel etc) resulted in a mutual decision for me to leave.

Any regrets? not at all. The entire process enabled me to see alot of the world, meet some amazing people, rack up a variety of endorsements and a 'profile'. The band went on to do a tour of europe, no idea how successful that was (we don't keep in touch) but I'm now happilly married, have 2 bands far more suited for me on the go and have recently joined an even higher profile local metal band, so I'm going to be extremely busy and working with musicians who I have similar viewpoints/career goals that I do, so win/win. No regrets.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Definitely check out the NEW project :lol:

What was your band called man?

Antagonist A.D, They are signed to Trial and Error records in Australia and should be over there in a few months. Check them out if you can, I'm extremely proud of everything I did and wrote with that band!

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I'm in a band right now that could maybe make it big if only we weren't so ugly.

')