Wes Borland's guitar clinics.

• Thread starter 220BX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wes borland
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
Anyway, if you don't like his playing, then you shouldn't care about this thread so please knock off the pointless bashing. It happens in every one of these threads (like Korn) and is really getting old. If you want to talk about how much Wes sucks, go to Harmony Central and bash your heart out.

i love you.:bowdown:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Wes makes a living playing music, I'd like to hear what he has to say. I liked the LB records, and I'm yet to hear something from him that I openly said "Wow, this is horrible".

I used to think the same thing, until I saw Limp Bizkit live on the Family Values tour. Wes was one of the most inconsistent live guitarists I've ever seen. He couldn't be bothered to stop jumping around long enough to play at least one lick right. Everything was a cacophony of un-muted string jangling around. He kept dropping picks, too.

I really don't think he needs to be teaching a clinic, because he is going to teach kids some really bad habits that are going to be difficult to break, an will only serve to hamper them in the future. I really wish someone had bothered to show me the "proper" way to do things when I was starting out, because I now know that learning clean, efficient technique from the very beginning is the fastest way to progress on the instrument. The last thing I would have needed was someone showing me something so completely wrong.

leatherface2

Reaction score
not a wes fan but im sure i could learn something from him.i try to learn somethin from everybody even if im not into it.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing, until I saw Limp Bizkit live on the Family Values tour. Wes was one of the most inconsistent live guitarists I've ever seen. He couldn't be bothered to stop jumping around long enough to play at least one lick right. Everything was a cacophony of un-muted string jangling around. He kept dropping picks, too.

/shrug

He was spot-on the two times I saw him.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
When did you see them? I saw them on the same Family Values tour that had Ramstein. I want to say that it was early on, in support of the album with Faith on it. The whole band was just really, really horrible. Like five guys going five different directions, all bad.

Maybe they got better. :shrug:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It was quite a while ago, I actually think I saw them with Creed. :lol: It was when Significant Other came out. The album with Faith on it came out 10 years ago, I hope he'd get a little better. :D

I know what you're getting at with him not being the most technical guy, but he certainly isn't terrible. There are a lot worse "famous" guitarists out there that do clinics, imo, like that rotten bastard from Avenged Sevenfold.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I'm just a snob, but when it comes to something called a "clinic", I think the guitarist should be one of the top of his genre. If I'm going to med school, I'm not going to want to go to a surgery session hosted by a doctor who barely made it out of med school. I'm going to want the guy who has made inroads in his field and is published in plenty of scholarly journals. It's a clinic, you know?

Now, if they treated it like a jam session? Sure, I'd fuckin' jam with Wes.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think even mediocre guitarists still have the potential to inspire and push the right buttons for someone. I'm not a fan of his or his bands, but I don't mind this at all.

fathead

Cranius Deformus
Reaction score
I've always liked Wes and I think that first video is pretty cool. It may not be Paganini at 750bpm while hanging upside down, but I dig it.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
I've seen him twice. both on family values tours. I can't really complain. I'm not a big fan. But he wasn't horrible or anything. I was actually impressed how well he sounded with all that jumping around. Then again his guitar work isn't exactly the most technical stuff out there. eh... whatever.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score

I really don't think he needs to be teaching a clinic, because he is going to teach kids some really bad habits that are going to be difficult to break, an will only serve to hamper them in the future. I really wish someone had bothered to show me the "proper" way to do things when I was starting out, because I now know that learning clean, efficient technique from the very beginning is the fastest way to progress on the instrument. The last thing I would have needed was someone showing me something so completely wrong.

honestly just sounds like a fluke to me. Maybe he got really drunk or something. They were a dysfunctional group. I haven't heard people (legitimately) criticize his live performance that harshly before. I totally know what you mean about bad technique and all (my hand instinctively juts my pinky up and far away from the fretboard when i'm doing leads, because i had unintentionally trained my hand to keep it out of the way cuz it was useless) but I really highly doubt he's gonna be showing people some god-aweful approach that's gonna cripple their playing from the start.

and EVEN THEN i could go into the whole argument of "proper technique" being irrelevant in any creative forum. But then it'd just turn into one of those shit threads with all the fighting. Which is gay.

Just curious. I think you're above mindless bashing so is there something specific you think he does as a player that is just bad that you wouldn't want other people to pick up from him? Other than dropping picks...

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
YouTube - Black Light Burns - Lie

that was one fucking awsome video! those chicks were fine!

Anyways, wes borland is prob one of my favourute, not because he plays the most technical shit, but he plays with a passion that not alot of musicians have. He has his own cool little style of playing, his riffs, they fucking rock! Especially his little clean delay effect ones. When i saw borland/bizkit live, and when i see him play live in video's etc., he gets into the song and gives off a mad vibe with his presence. I love wes :hbang: :hbang: :hbang: I can't wait for BLB, the music so far by them is kicking ass :shred:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I guess I'm just a snob, but when it comes to something called a "clinic", I think the guitarist should be one of the top of his genre. If I'm going to med school, I'm not going to want to go to a surgery session hosted by a doctor who barely made it out of med school. I'm going to want the guy who has made inroads in his field and is published in plenty of scholarly journals. It's a clinic, you know?

Now, if they treated it like a jam session? Sure, I'd fuckin' jam with Wes.

Like I said, provided everyone knows what they're going to be getting out of it, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't. If people want to learn about his style, then he may as well do things like this. There are plenty of other guys doing clinics for advanced technique and theory.

...And Chris is 100% correct. There are some FAR worse guitarists in successful rock bands these days.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He totally gives a high-energy performance in that video, though it's funny he doesn't play guitar. The song ain't bad either imo.
He actually does jam on his guitar towards the end. I love Wes. His creativity and uniqueness on the guitar and getting weird effects inspired me to pick up the guitar.

<=== Note Avatar.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score

Anyways, wes borland is prob one of my favourute, not because he plays the most technical shit, but he plays with a passion that not alot of musicians have. He has his own cool little style of playing, his riffs, they fucking rock! Especially his little clean delay effect ones. When i saw borland/bizkit live, and when i see him play live in video's etc., he gets into the song and gives off a mad vibe with his presence. I love wes :hbang: :hbang: :hbang: I can't wait for BLB, the music so far by them is kicking ass :shred:

Wow. That music sounded like a mixture of Nine Inch Nails, 1980's The Cure, a few of the mid-90's industrial metal bands like Stabbing Westward, and some 1980s bands that come to mind. Didn't sound anything like I thought it would.

Really? I haven't notice...

It starts around 3:00. He has his guitar strapped on and he's playing a kind of weird soloy type thing (he's wearing no shirt, has black stuff all over him, and has a guitar strapped on). Just skip to that part of the song.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score

I'm not impressed. Good to see wes back though in something other than limp bizkit. He did play a role in bringing the 7-string to the mainstream. so i give him props for that.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
I'm not impressed.

yeah. i downloaded this song last week. Honestly I didn't think it jumped out of the pack from a lot of other industrial/gothic hard rock stuff that was bigger in the 90's. That sadi i still liked it a lot and i have high expectations for hte album being well-rounded and a strong work.

so that's wes singing??

')