WEWT!(6 string drop C material, Djent, toneport, metal foundry CRITPLZ)

• Thread starter TreWatson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
SOOOOOO happy about how this one came out!

think I pinpointed my mix!

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/cvb8b'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=8349290&scid=8349290&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

please GIVE OPINIONS!

DON'T GO LEAVING ME WITH A MILLION VIEWS AND ONE REPLY FOLKS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rostarn

Reaction score
you got the guitars + bass sounding great, the snare is a bit too roomy for my taste though, but overall its a great mix. cool tune aswell

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i had to listen to it a few times as the 1st 45s were not what i was expecting due to timing and length of the riffs.

overall i prefer the song after the 1st 45 secons. i think it is really good after that!!!

i am glad we can hear the bass!!! in general the drums are a bit too low and / or the cymbals are too high. and i agree with the comment made above, your snare is (to me) not crisp / loud enough in comparison with the cymbal / guitar / bass overall volume.

production is pretty good. i like the fact that ~03:00 i can hear you sliding your powerchords on the neck, it gives it a nice twang.

Fred

Reaction score
Really not a massive fan of the song itself (just feels a bit copy + pasted together), but the mix is pretty sound. As others have said, the snare isn't to my tastes - could do with more thwack and less emphasis on the higher registers. Guitars sound like they've got the presence dimed and could probably do with darkening up a little, but yeah, decent mix otherwise!

Reaction score
the mix is awesome. I am going to have to partially agree with Fred as I feel it is sort of cut and pasted together sounding. BUT, I really like a lot of the riffs themselves. And that one breakdown is fucking awesome! I just think the transitions need to be smoothed out in some way from riff to riff...but you have a lot of awesome ideas in there!

Radicz0r

Worst Dude
Reaction score
Hey dude! Are you playing on a strat or something? The gain sounds really "twangy", and at some parts of the intro you needs to edit out the sketchy parts in the silence.

As for the song, it took a bit of time to really get into it but hell, after that breakdown it's just fucking awesome. Some As Blood Runs Black in there, with Heaven Shall Burn influences? At some points it just seems like there's a completely other dude playing or the guitars sound just SO much better at the riffing parts? I'm not sure. You should try to perfect this one, so spend a bit more time on the editing and cleaning up the mess at parts (even though it's not that much). Remember, djent is supposed to be clean and tight!
Great job, looking forward to your next track man.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds nice, man. The mix does need work though, just tweaking until it's perfect. I also agree that the song after around the minute mark or so sounds infinitely better than the intro.

Keep working on it :D

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
I really like how it sounds, as said above something can be always improved, but for my ears it's really nice :agreed:

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
He intro was just something I was trying with chromatic harmonies. I can afford to scrap it. And aside from that last riff, everything was pretty much played straight through. I just wanted a jump back and forth between the chaotic and groove, but some marts I had to record with 2 extras just because of how hard it is to put it all together.

It's a Douglas shadow in the bridge pickup, and the twang was intentional. Radicdz0r, I only listen to heaven shall burn lol and in that case, only black tears and murder of the murderers. I'm just taking carthages material and re-doing them with a couple new riffs to see how they come out, since the demo is in the works now.

but as always, thanks for the feedback! I'm gonna go back and re-check it. I just don't like messing with the snare because it i do, it ends up sounding like a pillow, and i hate that.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
The song is cool..
The guitar tone is great!

But there's something with the mix that I can't seem to get along with.. I don't know what though :wallbash:

Sorry for not helping you THAT much.. hahah

Reaction score
Not bad at all. I don't care for the snare sound too much. Too loose and roomy. I love the guitar tone, But you can make it thicker very simple. You've got the amp REALLY bright. Which is ok, thats my thing too. But what I've found to get MASSIVE tone out of guitars, record 2 more rhythm guitar tracks (yes With the ones you already have). Have the amps tweaked so you have a LOT of bass and some mids, with just enough gain to get a good crunch, basically Really dark sounding. Pan these hard left and right, and put your two bright tracks panned around 50% left and right. You want the darker guitars lower in the mix, so it basically fills in a big gap. Also, something I like to do is take one of the rhythm guitar tracks, copy and paste it as a new track and then add Reverb, and have it so the reverb is 100% in the mix, you hear the Reverb and not the guitar. Put this one completely centered and have it pretty low in the mix. The only thing with this, if you try it you might want to make the bass a bit punchier so it cuts through. 4 rhythm tracks And 1 reverb track sounds Massive, but you've also gotta make sure your bass doesn't get lost in the mix (refer to ...and justice for all for an example).

But overall, I think it sounds great dude.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
wow, 7deadlysins, that sounds AMAZING! I'm gonna have to try it.

I'm not a fan of quad-tracking guitars, but I will definitely try it for the next track ( which i hope to have done by monday afternoon)

as for making the snare less roomy, I seem to be having a rough go at that.

would taking some of the bleed off fix that?

i tried compressing it, but then when i dropped it back into place with the mix, it became roomy again.

any advice you can give?

Sliggy

Reaction score
I'd say you just need to do some editing and make your guitars bigger. If you've made any big cuts / if any of your amp settings are especially low, try filling them in some more.

Pretty nice tones though dude.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
Yeah, I might suggest throwing a parametric lowpass filter on the guitars to take a tiny bit of the twang edge away as it is something which is drawing my attention away from an otherwise great song and your playing. The 2-5k frequencies can be a little harsh in the overall mix and you can dial them back slightly without losing the in-your-face position of the guitars.

What I like to do is put the lowpass on and play the song and move the threshold lower and lower towards the 2k mark and find where I think it is too much and has deadened the guitars and then I move it back a bit. I then take a 5 min break and play the song from the beginning and a minute or so in I deactivate the filter and see what the difference is. I often repeat the step and make some minor adjustments.

This method seems to give me a real A/B comparison of what I thought was a good sound versus what sound really works in the mix. I always err towards too much high end when I first sit down to record and have found that pulling a lot of that out seats the guitars in the mix rather than making them stand on top of the other instruments. Someone above mentioned that the cymbals are too loud and this may have been an overcompensation on your part because the guitars were stomping on them with highend. Consider that they all have to share the same mix and each will have its place and frequency range.

Have fun and update us with any revisions.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
thanks for the critiques, you guys are really helping me get better with this one, and I appreciate it.

I'm not doing anything tonight, thoroughly frustrated with this ape motherfucker from my job, gonna sleep it off. hope to have a revision tomorrow. :)

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm back before class,

gave the mix another try, lowered the cymbals, tried to even out the snare ( still sounds roomy)

tried to darken up the guitars a little bit.

apparently I realized i was using my 7 string POD farm settings for a 6 string guitar.

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/cvb8b'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=8361663&scid=8361663&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

did i fix the problem? I need your critiques again.

thanks guys, you're awesome! :hbang:

')