What About Katatonia?

• Thread starter 7Heavyness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jahosy

Reaction score
Love all their stuffs. They weren't that 'consistant' playing live though.

And blackhiem was the main reason why i fell in love with Mayo Regius :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't even know about Dethroned and Uncrowned. Hell, I'll give it a shot. Interested in hearing Lethean redone.

But yeah, I love this freakin' band. Once they began to head in the direction they're in now, their sound aged like a fine wine.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
They weren't that 'consistant' playing live though.

I saw them live last year and I have to say I thought they outdid Opeth insofar as the performance was concerned...maybe they had an off show when you saw them?

Edit: Could have just been that they were the opener and my feet (standing on the hard concrete floor) were killing me by the time Opeth went on... :lol:

Edit2: Of course I go on youtube to watch them live and the first video I click on is less than flattering....

jahosy

Reaction score
I saw them live last year and I have to say I thought they outdid Opeth insofar as the performance was concerned...maybe they had an off show when you saw them?

Yeh probably so when they opened for Opeth during their recent OZ tour...

But their 2010 gig was much better! Maybe that was their first time in OZland and they were all pumped :lol:

Saying that i still very much enjoyed their set :hbang:

Watty: Did they play any Bloodbaths?? :wavey:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Kind of related: The guitarist for Katatonia has/had a super awesome solo black metal project called Diabolical Masquerade.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
I have been listening to katatonia for many years (since 2006 since i'm correct). i've discovered and rediscovered almost each of their records. i agree that they have about 3 different phases but i like them each in their regards and have thoroughly enjoyed all of their career :bowdown:. welcome to the club ! :lol:

Kind of related: The guitarist for Katatonia has/had a super awesome solo black metal project called Diabolical Masquerade.

Kind of related part 2 : the ex-guitarist for katatonia (and his ex-bassist brother) have a super awesome doom/melodeath band called October Tide. Jonas Renske, katatonia's vocalist, was also involved in october tide's first two albums. very much worth checking out.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
Not to derail but October Tide is awesome, and dare I say it, I like them better than Katatonia at times. Post-Viva Emptiness Katatonia for me has gotten a bit repetitive as they never really do anything different anymore, still a fan though.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Haven't heard Katatonia in a long time, they have changed a lot!

Edit: not a complaint though, any band that has the balls to redefine themselves is no bad thing.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
love these guys, saw em open for opeth a few monthes ago. Amazing live! really dig their newer stuff, they keep improving. The great cold distance is prob my favourite album by them...

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Just seen a video for The Racing Heart, do I have to hand in my man card in if I say it brought a lump to my throat?:ugh:

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
From Viva Emptiness to Dead End Kings they are EASILY my favourite band ever. I don't dig the death-doom period too much but Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down were amazing steps forward, even though I think they hit the jackpot later.

They have also been SPOT ON when I saw them live last october. There are many bad performances on youtube from previous tours but they really got their stuff together on this one, despite it being a genre of music that's really hard to pull off live in terms of feel and atmosphere.

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
Just seen a video for The Racing Heart, do I have to hand in my man card in if I say it brought a lump to my throat?:ugh:

No you're good. I love that song and I'm as manly as they come. :lol:

I found Katatonia about 6 motnhs ago after getting the 'dead end kings' album. Love it! I've slowly started to venture into the earlier albums and have already found a few gems.

trianglebutt

trianglebutt
Reaction score
I love The Great Cold Distance, Night Is The New Day and Dead End Kings, but, Viva Emptiness is by far my favorite Katatonia album. It flows so well, and tells a sort of story. (Even though Jonas has denied it's a concept album.) It also has my favorite lyrics of any Katatonia album.

And it has Omerta. <3

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that people got into them with their last album. I've been seeing them languish like just below the level where they get any serious attention for over a decade now, so I always feel like no one's listening to them besides old farts like me. I'm glad to see it! I think anyone that likes the newest will like the three before it for sure.

wankerness

Reaction score
I love The Great Cold Distance, Night Is The New Day and Dead End Kings, but, Viva Emptiness is by far my favorite Katatonia album. It flows so well, and tells a sort of story. (Even though Jonas has denied it's a concept album.) It also has my favorite lyrics of any Katatonia album.

And it has Omerta. <3

Viva Emptiness is probably my second favorite of their albums, but the lyrics?

He went too far, that f...er, it's not like I owed him money!

I trusted you, you lied, It's all I hear, a f...ing lie! I don't give a shit, it's over now, It's all I know, you broke the vow!

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES THIS IS MY LAST RESORT!

:D

mongey

Reaction score
they are the drummer in my bands fav band so I have a few of their albums on the ipod. I like them . some of it I like allot. Night is the new day would be my Fav album I'd say from what I have

I saw them 4 or 5 months ago with Opeth and they were great but the singer was kinda boring live I have to say . you dont have to be completly off the wall crazy and outgoing but you have to engage the audience somewhat

trianglebutt

trianglebutt
Reaction score
Viva Emptiness is probably my second favorite of their albums, but the lyrics?

He went too far, that f...er, it's not like I owed him money!

I trusted you, you lied, It's all I hear, a f...ing lie! I don't give a shit, it's over now, It's all I know, you broke the vow!

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES THIS IS MY LAST RESORT!

:D

I actually really like that first line, in the context of the song it gives a really eerie feeling.

Also, this song isn't on the actual album, just the July EP, one of my favorites:

wankerness

Reaction score
They have a history of great b-sides, "Sulfur," "March 4" and "Dissolving Bonds" are probably my favorites. "Unfurl" sure is great, though. I tabbed "Wait Outside" a while back just cause the chorus and bridge were so good, but now that I listen to it again the verses are pretty stupid!

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
yeah some of their EP's are rocking! i got them all, i've only listened to a few. Was cranking last fair deal gone down today. Awsome stuff :D

Latest posts

')