What About Katatonia?

• Thread starter 7Heavyness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sandalhat

Reaction score
Huge (popular) band that's been around for a long time. I think they're cool. They reinvented themselves a long time ago - they used to be more doom metal and had the growly vocals. They're also known for vague lyrics lol.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
Their new album is really really good. Saw them with Devin Townsend not too long ago. Really good show.

wankerness

Reaction score
They're a great band to discover now cause there's about 10 albums worth of stuff to go through. They had two big style changes, one from the aforementioned growly metal (Discouraged Ones was the change to all clean vocals), and then another to a heavier, more "METAL" style largely without their trademark 8th note counterpoint guitar riffing on "Viva Emptiness." They've been working in the Viva Emptiness style ever since.

My favorite album is Last Fair Deal Gone Down, which was like the high point of their middle style, but Viva Emptiness, The Great Cold Distance, and Night is the New Day all received a ton of plays and so did the last one (which has that song you posted on it). Particular songs to check out from these three are Wealth, Burn the Remembrance, Soil's Song, My Twin, The Longest Year, Onward Into Battle, Liberation, and Day and then the Shade.

I'd go backwards through their discography, if you like the new album you are pretty much guaranteed to like the three before it at least. I kinda like "Brave Murder Day" and really like the "Sounds of Decay" EP from their growly days, if you like their middle period stuff you might still like those albums since the guitars are largely similar.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
The first songs I ever heard from them were Chrome and Sweet Nurse, and I think those songs are great. At the time, the album those songs were on (Last Fair Deal Gone Down) was difficult to find, so I bought their latest, Viva Emptiness. I didn't like that album. I would later discover that I didn't even like other songs from Last Fair Deal. Aside from Chrome and Sweet Nurse, the only thing I've ever liked from them was Brave Murder Day, and that was mostly because of Mikael. The only song on that album that Mikael wasn't on was, in my opinion, by a long shot the worst song on the album. I think their music is, by and large, quite boring, Jonas' vocals are pretty bad (and they're worse live), and the lyrics are atrocious.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Literally very likely my favorite band. Wearing a Katatonia hoodie as I type this actually.

I enjoy their entire discography and every month am spinning one of the albums. I thought the new one was awesome!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Great Cold Distance is a personal favorite, it has a lot of great tunes.

ferret

Reaction score
Sampled several songs just now, definitely digging them.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Love all their albums. Period.

Oh yeah, here are a couple of songs

I ADORE the guitar on this one.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
')