What albums would you like to see remastered/rerecorded?

• Thread starter Apatheosis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I dont know man. They recently did a tour where they played all of Unhallowed and some other "hits"...sounded absolutely amazing. Trevor has grown as a vocalist so much as well, but to each his own I guess.

That *could* just be because Unhallowed was f*cking awesome.
On one hand, being able to experience it again via a re-recording has potential to be sinfully good, but on the other hand, if it blows, or isn't as amazing as you'd expect for whatever reason, it could leave a bad taste in your mouth. For this one I'm down either way.

I think the perfect example for when a re-recording is beneficial is After the Burial and the Rareform rerelease and the This Life is All we Have EP, which both sounded WAY better than the originals in every way.
When a band shifts their dynamic and finally finds their 'zone,' for where the rest of the material is built off of, seems to be a good time to re-touch material from before that point. After you end up with a stable lineup, settle in on the sound / vibe, or finally dial in 'the' tone.

I'd really like to see the first Periphery album. Sponce has improved 10x from where he was back then and would slay those tracks. Misery Signals' Of Malice and the Magnum Heart would be more than welcome too, the original is nothing to sneeze at and massive for an early career release, but I feel like a more modern version of that record would sound great. Would have been a cool idea if they did it to line up with the anniversary tour they did.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
As far as remixing albums goes, I think the following could probably benefit:
Protest the Hero - Kezia
Malevolent Creation - Retribution
Tenet - Sovereign
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius

As far as remastering is concerned, I think a lot of older albums could benefit from it purely to increase the volume. While I never really notice it while spinning records, there's always a noticeable and pretty annoying volume drop when playing older songs from my phone. I feel like a pretty basic remaster with very little tinkering could fix the problem pretty easily.

InHiding

Reaction score
As far as remixing albums goes, I think the following could probably benefit:
Protest the Hero - Kezia
Malevolent Creation - Retribution
Tenet - Sovereign
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius

As far as remastering is concerned, I think a lot of older albums could benefit from it purely to increase the volume. While I never really notice it while spinning records, there's always a noticeable and pretty annoying volume drop when playing older songs from my phone. I feel like a pretty basic remaster with very little tinkering could fix the problem pretty easily.

Man... You should read up on the loudness war. It's a sad story. Then check Death Magnetic for proof. That album sounds like .....

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
Man... You should read up on the loudness war. It's a sad story. Then check Death Magnetic for proof. That album sounds like .....

Oh, I completely agree. I just didn't want to rehash an album that obviously needs some love. I just wish I could listen to older albums in the car at the same volume as my newer music.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Death Magnetic really isn't that bad. It clips, sure, but it's not like it's unlistenable.

InHiding

Reaction score
To my ears it's just awful. Maybe it's the combination of their sounds and clipping, but I can't listen to it at all.

wankerness

Reaction score
I never really noticed a problem with Death Magnetic. Sounded like a typical non-slick album to me! I'm not really motivated to go back and listen to it closely for sound clipping errors, though, since I don't really like it that much.

Albums that I really wish I could hear everything going on, but can't:

Opeth - Morningrise (the bass occasionally turns into a big mess, ex Nectar outro)
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane/TPE 1 (both of these generally sound great, but have passages where their ambition outstripped the recording's technical limitations and it turns into mud city)
Cynic - Focus (on the rerelease, the three re-done tracks sound way better than the rest of the album - I wish they'd been able to do ALL the tracks)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (I know this is basically heresy, but it's such a beautiful wall-of-sound album compositionally and the production is SUCH a weak, indistinct mess)
Gorguts - From Wisdom to Hate - the production is entertaining and lively, but the bass just sounds like a vague clonk noise

Albums with dry, weak-ass production which sticks out like a sore thumb in their discography that could be re-done the way Meshuggah - Nothing was:

Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist (the first time I heard this was in a friend's car, and I thought maybe he'd downloaded a 96 kbps rip or something - I sure was disappointed when I bought the CD and it sounded exactly the same!)
Devin Townsend - Physicist
SYL - SYL
Type O Negative - World Coming Down (it's not BAD, but it's such a drop-off from October Rust)
Machine Head - The Burning Red
Immolation - Failures for Gods
Mudvayne - End of All Things to Come
Maudlin of the Well - My Fruit Psychobells

Albums with actual production errors:

Opeth - Still Life

Albums where the band improved their game massively afterwards and a re-recording would sound way better due to vocals being in-tune, not having drum errors, etc:

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Novembre - Arte Novecento
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones (the vocals are AWFUL here, though with quality vocals it might lose some of the mood, so I dunno)
Joanna Newsom - Milk Eyed Mender (hearing her live with her current vocal abilities doing songs off this album makes it hard to listen to the album anymore, the vocals are SO rough)
Empyrium - Wintersunset, Songs of Moor & Misty Fields
Elend - The Umbersun (and everything before it) - they were a wonderfully creepy group that did very scary, symphonic music with choirs and what-not, but due to not having money they had to use synth strings instead of real strings on their first few albums. The Umbersun is an incredible album and has real choirs, but the terrible synth strings stick out so badly. I wish they would redo the darn thing with the exact same compositions but with actual string players.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm curious, can you elaborate?

They recorded that album in a different way than the others, where the distorted guitars were recorded by recording several layers of lightly distorted guitars to build up the distortion sound. Given how many different guitar parts are going on during a lot of sections of that album, this resulted in a MASSIVE number of tracks being overdubbed. As a result, there are parts where they recorded too many layers of guitars and it caused phase cancellation errors where channels just drop out entirely. It's most obvious on one section of "The Moor." I've seen it discussed many times on various forums, you can probably find the exact time stamp mentioned in some forum post somewhere via google.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I dunno if I brought this up, but did anyone say Devin Townsend's Physicist yet?

I remember a lot of people saying the production for that album was one of Devin's worst. Even Devin himself and Gene Hoglan say it was bad.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno if I brought this up, but did anyone say Devin Townsend's Physicist yet?

I remember a lot of people saying the production for that album was one of Devin's worst. Even Devin himself and Gene Hoglan say it was bad.

It's like 5 posts up, and I'd be shocked if no one else mentioned it.

monkeysuncle

Reaction score
If Timeghoul's discography got remixed with clearer, less "cloudy" production I'd have to buy 10 copies

Latest posts

')