what amps are you guys using right now?

• Thread starter ochase088
  • Start date
  • Tags
    amp
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Mesa mark iv and i wish I could play it more

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
6505/6505+
I've been through a ton of amps the last few years and and have to say it flat out kills for death metal.

So many others that kill for DM though:
Engl FB100
Engl Savage 120
Engl AE
Uber Rev blue
KSR Ares
MW Recto
Fryette D60, UL, or 50CL
Peters Bodyhammer
Herbert (although a bit slow on the attack even boosted)
Ampeg VH140c
Marshall VS 8100
Wizard MTL or MCII
Splawn QR
Mark III

torchlord

Reaction score
I've been using the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade and Coreblade, lately with Port City OS 2x12 and WGS ET90 speakers. I have JJ EL34 II power tubes, V1 JJ EC83m, V2 JJ EC 83s, and V2 JJ EC83 S preamp tubes in the Coreblade.

I also have a Katana MKI that I play with a bit but it isn't as good as a tube amp.

I've been playing around with a EQ going into the Katana and I'm not considering getting an EQ to run into my tube amp in order to a few frequencies I don't love.

I don't really touch my Axe Fx Ultra much but that is only because I don't have a decent solid-state amp for it.

I haven't bought much gear these days choosing to not waste money on it and instead try to tweak things like speakers, tubes.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I currently use a Marshall JCM 800 2203x into a 1960B.

I used to use a Fender Champion 100 which I still have and have gotten probably the best tone I've ever had in my life out of that amp.

The last amp I have is a Peavey Backstage Plus which I got from my uncle after he died.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
If you're looking for a new amp, you should be more concerned with what features you need and the price point than what other people have. The good news is it's a buyer's market and there's never been a better time for high gain enthusiasts. There's a never ending supply of amps that can get you what you want.

it’s a buyers market for selection, but not for pricing. Seems like everyone wants top dollar for their amps - and guitars - right now.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
A Mesa Boogie JP2C and a 5153 50w Stealth. The Jp is my main. Just a very clear sounding amp that rewards precise playing. It's just addicting when I play it loud and it literally pisses off the neighbors. The amp just comes alive with the master at 3 but I cant do that all the time.

The Stealth is fun at any volume. Sold my original 50w for it. It's a bit scooped and less nasal than the whiteface 6l6. Perfect for 90s death metal. It has the best blue channel imo.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I've used a bunch but like nothing better than a Marshall 2204 boosted with a RAT for metal.

')