what amps are you guys using right now?

• Thread starter ochase088
  • Start date
  • Tags
    amp
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
Dude, I paid $700 for mine :lol: It’s a cool little amp! Diezel stuff isn’t as expensive here in Europe compared to the US, I see Herberts going for ~$1k all the time here.

I've seen them go for pretty cheap and have been tempted myself, but then I remember why I sold mine. The channel setup is just stupid. You need to make a choice if you want clean, mid gain or high gain on channel 1 and then you have a high gain lead channel 2. My understanding is that there are mods to make those modes footswitchable but it's really just not a well laid out amp as good as they sound. I remember trying things like lower gain tubes to reduce the gain on ch2 so it would be more usable but that never quite worked out.

I could see myself picking up one of their newer designs if I found one used.

I don't play death metal, more of a hard rock type guy. At the moment my amps are a Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead and Victory VC35. The Bogner is a Fender cleans, Marshall overdrive type deal where the OD channel spans anything from Superlead to JCM800 and you can throw a tube boost on top of that. The Victory VC35 is essentially something between a Vox AC30 and Matchless DC30, veering more on the AC30 side. Lunchbox size, gets a really cool fuzzy sound with the gain cranked. My cabs are a 1x12 with Eminence Maverick and a 4x10 with 10" Greenbacks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, I paid $700 for mine :lol: It’s a cool little amp! Diezel stuff isn’t as expensive here in Europe compared to the US, I see Herberts going for ~$1k all the time here.

Congrats!

Cheapest one on Reverb right now is $1900 lol.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be reunited with the rest soon, but all I have with me are:

2019 Victory RK50C 112 combo - Marshall JTM45 to Superlead style tones. Reverb, tremolo, and boost. Old school controls - volume, gain, tone, reverb, and 2 trem knobs. 50 or 15 watts. No bad tones to be had. Came with EL34 but I changed to Gold Lion KT66.

1965 Gibson GA-5T (Crest) Skylark 108 combo - 5w, 2 6AQ5, and sounds similar to a Fender Champ. One of the best dimed small combos made. Sounds huge. Throbbing tremolo. Original tubes and speaker. 2 knobs - Volume and tremolo.

1963 Watkins (WEM) Scout 110 combo - "14w", 2 EL84, and sounds similar to an AC15. All original including Elac speaker. Very loud for its size and has a nice British crunch. Original tubes and speaker. Unfortunately the tremolo circuit doesnt work, but the other input does. Has a cool rotary knob that changes the impedance and tone for that input.

1954 Magnatone Varsity 108 - 4w, 6V6. Incredible cleans, edge of breakup, or natural tube/speaker overdrive. Volume and tone.

Kemper Powered rig (plus most ToneJunkie profiles) - run through 212 Randall Diavlo V30 Ported cab and/or Budda 212 Phatcab.

Fryette PS2 50w 6L6 power amp, Diezel Zerrer preamp - OD/dirt pedal platform, through same cabs as above.

Last edited:

Metropolis

Reaction score
Only modelers, Line 6 Helix LT; REVV Generator Red/Purple, Badonk, Mark IV. Maybe HBE or 5150 also. Neural DSP Nameless & Archetype: Nolly. Mercuriall ReAxis occasionally. Those cover a lot of ground for me.

død

Reaction score
I've seen them go for pretty cheap and have been tempted myself, but then I remember why I sold mine. The channel setup is just stupid. You need to make a choice if you want clean, mid gain or high gain on channel 1 and then you have a high gain lead channel 2. My understanding is that there are mods to make those modes footswitchable but it's really just not a well laid out amp as good as they sound. I remember trying things like lower gain tubes to reduce the gain on ch2 so it would be more usable but that never quite worked out.

I could see myself picking up one of their newer designs if I found one used.

I don't play death metal, more of a hard rock type guy. At the moment my amps are a Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead and Victory VC35. The Bogner is a Fender cleans, Marshall overdrive type deal where the OD channel spans anything from Superlead to JCM800 and you can throw a tube boost on top of that. The Victory VC35 is essentially something between a Vox AC30 and Matchless DC30, veering more on the AC30 side. Lunchbox size, gets a really cool fuzzy sound with the gain cranked. My cabs are a 1x12 with Eminence Maverick and a 4x10 with 10" Greenbacks.
Agreed, it is a bit limited, but if you don’t need a clean channel, there’s still a ton of different tones to be had between channel 1 & 2. I do want to check out a Hagen or D-moll, too, but for now the Einstein is holding me over juuuuuust fine.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I've gone super basic: LP > HX FX > Blackstar HT Club 40.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
For guitar I've got two micro heads, one being an Orange Micro Dark and the other is a Marshall DSL1HR, bass-wise I'm running an Ampeg PF-350; nothing fancy for either instrument but they suit my needs.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I mostly play in stereo with a Mark V on one side and my Ultra Lead on the other, each going through their own Mesa Traditional 4x12 :metal:

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Laney GH50L boosted with a Rat into stock 1960A, as my main rig

I play sludge/doom/crust primarily though

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
5153 EL34 50 watt has been my primary for the last year. Great clean, crunch and high gain sounds.

The red channel absolutely kills for melodic death without a boost. Fast transients, plenty of gain, and pick attack comes through.
I boost the blue channel with a Dirty Tree, very mild settings. I have recently put the HM2 first in my chain with the boost after it. It is insane on the blue channel.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Regarding tube amps, a PRS Archon.

For digital stuff, I've also been happy with an Axe-FX and a Kemper.

Reaction score
Currently going insane trying to decide on an amp to buy right now. I swear I've changed my mind a million times over the last few weeks. Leaning towards a Bogner Ecstasy or Friedman (JJ or BE?) but Revv amps also look cool...or I could just cheap out and get a 6505 lol.

maggotspawn

Reaction score
Lately it's been a Pod Go into an SS power amp and 4x12.
Sounds sick and loud as hell.
Other rigs are rack mount preamps into SS power amps.
Including a Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi, Kartakou Collossus, and Rocktron Widowmaker. Using pedal boards with Boss MS-3's with these.

LCW

Reaction score
Been digging these twins lately...

D764C523-8C37-4441-B0FE-EB1F33555F22.jpeg

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I really want to try an Einstein again. I owned one briefly but didn't have enough time to really play with it before I could properly put it through its paces. The prices for them are insane right now. Back in the day they were like $2100+, I've seen them go for as low as $1k less now. At that price, any issue I had with it before could easily be overlooked :lol:

Checkout the Dmoll - more reasonably priced, sounds very Herbert-ish. One amp I regret selling

I have 4 in rotation - JCM800 (SC20), Mesa Roadster, 5153 EL34 and 6L6 versions - spent the first half of the year with the EL35 5153. Re-valved the red unbolted was glorious.

Since buying the Roadster, its been permanently in place. A most excellent amp. Played through a Zilla 212 with K100 and V30.

What I need to do is setup the boogie with the 5153 in stereo...

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Mark IV and a Mesa Triple Rectifier, using a Tube Screamer to tighten up both amps. Triple Rec is perfect for the super saturated Cannibal Corpse tone while the Mark IV gets close to that, but would be better suited to something similar to Necrophagist.

')