What appeals to you more as a seven - Strat or Tele?

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
tele all the way
i want to second what was said earlier, strats just look weird in a 7 format, just like the les pauls, they are so classic and iconic that they look strange different, what would be cooler, the most popular guitar in history get made into a 7?(predictable) or its ugly little brother cutting out a nitch for its self as a 7?(not that teles dont already have their own nitch, but you know what i mean)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd get a strat and try to remember my early days as a guitarist on a squier in order to live with the middle SC lol.

i would also want a 7 tele, cuz then i wouldnt bother with a 6 tele haha. flame maple top tele w/ maple board, reg pickup config, 7 strings.. yum.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
i can't believe i'm saying this (as much as i like strats), but a traditional 7 string tele really hasn't been done in a 7 string format
you could throw a custom S/S/S pickguard loaded with rio grandes on an Ibanez UV and pretty much have a "real" strat (basswood has been used on Fenders before).

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Tele, definitely. I'd be interested in either a 'traditional' Tele or one of the semi-hollow Thinline jobs with the neck humbucker. They have such a unique sound that you can't even come close to replicating with a Superstrat.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One of the coolest things about Strats is that they are so versatile. Put a humbucker in the bridge and you have a great jack of all trades guitar. Put buckers in both the neck and bridge and have even more options. Look at all the players that have played Strat type guitars and it's easy to see how versatile they are.

Yeah, I know, it's more a mental thing. The moment I pick up a Strat of any persuasion, I instantly bust out a cheesy blues lick or go for the thumb-over-the-neck wannabe-Hendrix stuff. I'm resigned to the fact that this is a stereotype I may never be able to overlook:lol:

emguitars

Reaction score
The two seven string strats I built both played and sounded great,definitely not for metal, but nobody gets a strat for metal anyway ( Yngwie excluded!)
By the way, Allparts has a seven strat body listed on their website. Routed for the neck and a trem, but no pup routing. You could put whatever you want in there! ALLPARTS guitar parts, bass parts, guitar amplifier parts

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Strat. I absolutely hate telecasters with a passion. Can't stand the way they look or the way they sound "classically" (I've heard some good sounding teles with the non-traditional setup).

To be honest, I wouldn't buy a 7-string strat, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick the strat, because they're fun to play; they're very versatile; and they actually look decent (while telecasters are probably the most ugly guitar Fender has come up with).

hostile

Reaction score
definitely a tele-7
the below, just with a traditional neck-bridge PU routing.

stef-vintage-t.jpg

:hbang:

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
Allparts has a seven strat body listed on their website. Routed for the neck and a trem, but no pup routing. You could put whatever you want in there! ALLPARTS guitar parts, bass parts, guitar amplifier parts
beware--that All-Parts body is also routed for a rear control cavity, so it doesn't have enough wood left to route and install a front-mounted strat-style pickguard.

WD Music used to sell a 7-string strat body that was front-routed for a strat-style pickguard, but i don't know if they still do.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the feel of necks on Tele's, so a 7 string tele would be amazing. Similar to the one posted, except some normal bridge PU, and a neck single coil (maybe even a 7 string tele style neck PU or lipstick), that would be amaaaaaaaazing :D

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tough call. I'd probably go for the Strat first followed by a tele later because of the limited options for a tele (only one pup manufacturer, have to get bridge from Scott, etc etc) and the fact that a strat is more versatile.

A true seven string tele would be awesome however (as opposed to the Carpenter with a tele shaped body everybody keeps posting).

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have to say a strat. I really don't like the look of a telecaster.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Tough call. I'd probably go for the Strat first followed by a tele later because of the limited options for a tele (only one pup manufacturer, have to get bridge from Scott, etc etc) and the fact that a strat is more versatile.

A true seven string tele would be awesome however (as opposed to the Carpenter with a tele shaped body everybody keeps posting).

What's up with that Halo strat? :)

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
yes--let's cleanse that aftertaste with some truer Tele-ness:
tele7-pickguard.jpg

Amen, brother. I have my bridge from Scott on the way now all I need is USACG to finish the product before I end up mutating this warmoth tele body I have laying around thats getting serious :squint: looks.

Im pretty certain Im going for the B-Bender as well once I eyeball Scotts bridge and figure out if Parsons or Hipshot is the way to go.

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
That's great, but I like the American Standard Styled saddles, which I'm sure you could retro on there....
it would depend on the dimensions of those saddles, and they would have to be the rarer ones with the intonation screw off to the side. those strat-style saddles are nice, but they don't have the same traditional Tele sound as the barrel ones.

eelback, do post what you figure out about the string bender. you might have to drill the bridge, but it's only mildly hard cold-rolled steel, so that can be done way easier than something hard like stainless.

palystopause, i will start a thread at some point, but as you can see the gtuiar isn't done yet, and there is an old thread around somewhere, and i'm lazy. :) it's easier just to throw that pic up in other threads. :lol:

Latest posts

')