What are some bands that drop A tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

jds93

Reaction score
does anyone know of any good bands that drop A tune?... just drop A! i want some good inspiration that use the same style and tuning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkevil

Toast Wiper
Reaction score
After the burial use 8 strings but some of their songs could be played on a 7 string with drop A tuning...

groph

Reaction score
Yeah, Nile, Bloodbath* does it on some songs on the new album, as does Amon Amarth. Guardians of Asgaard is in Drop A. Fun as hell to play, too.

I think the Acacia Strain might be, but something's telling me it's Drop G#.

Beneath the Massacre plays sevens tuned down a step I THINK, so the rhythm parts could be played in Drop A.

*This might be A Standard but I'm sure it's possible to play in Drop A too.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Staind plays in Drop D with a low A.

Whitechapel, Carnifex, Suicide Silence, The Acacia Strain, Nile, Salt The Wound, 1st album Chimaira, Ankla, and Impending Doom are all the Drop A bands I can think of.

pink freud

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as how a band's style would be different in drop-A from any other dropped tuning...

Its just a string pattern, the key is the only thing that changes.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
They could play 5ths faster and can get a little more creative with chords. :shrug:

pink freud

Reaction score
They could play 5ths faster and can get a little more creative with chords. :shrug:

A player can play fifths faster in drop A than they can in drop D?

Strange, I didn't know physics worked like that :scratch:

ykcirj

Reaction score
A player can play fifths faster in drop A than they can in drop D?

Strange, I didn't know physics worked like that :scratch:

I think he was refering to drop tunings versus standard tuning.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think he was refering to drop tunings versus standard tuning.

Correct.

Also, Lacuna Coil and God Forbid's latest albums have songs that are in drop A or the albums in their entirety are in drop A, I don't actually have either one.

Hawkevil

Toast Wiper
Reaction score
Which hadn't even been talked about...

Come on man it was pretty obvious what he was talking about.

I think what you mean is what is the point of playing in drop A when you can play in Drop D.

Well it can be personal preferance, guitar tone, singers vocal range, more 'brootalz', to be cool.

To be fair, what does it matter. I've never understood why E standard is the default tuning of a guitar when there are so many different ones... :shrug:

danenachtrieb

TheGuiltyUnpunished
Reaction score

I think what you mean is what is the point of playing in drop A when you can play in Drop D.

Well it can be personal preferance, guitar tone, singers vocal range, more 'brootalz', to be cool.

To be fair, what does it matter. I've never understood why E standard is the default tuning of a guitar when there are so many different ones... :shrug:

word+1. i think it's kind of funny that we're having an argument on tuning in drop a on sevenstring.org. SEVENSTRING DROP TUNING=DROP A. if you want to play drop d get a fucking 6 string. i think pink freud moved here from harmony central.

pink freud

Reaction score

No, my arguement is that playing style shouldn't be affected if you are in drop A or drop D, or drop whatever.

A person shouldn't pick up a guitar that's in drop D, play for a while, tune it to, lets say down a full step to drop C, and think to themselves, "Oh my, I'm in drop C now, this is going to require me to restructure my playing style!"

That's the vibe I'm getting off the OP. That drop A magically is different from any other drop tuning, and has it's own necessity for a specified style.

It's just like somebody asking how to play a guitar that's tuned D-Standard. The answer is "Just like any other Standard tuning"

I think the OP is limiting the field unnecessarily by limiting it to drop-A, when he could very easily find some great stuff in other drop tunings that he could easily transpose TO drop A.

Hawkevil

Toast Wiper
Reaction score
I suppose in most situation, yes, but say you took Meshuggah for instance. If you played that in E standard it would sound like ass.

I think the general idea he was going for was certain types of bands tend to use drop A o really low tunings in general. I dont know some of the bands been listed here but from what I can tell quite a few are death metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')