What are some bands that drop A tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

danenachtrieb

TheGuiltyUnpunished
Reaction score
No, my arguement is that playing style shouldn't be affected if you are in drop A or drop D, or drop whatever.

A person shouldn't pick up a guitar that's in drop D, play for a while, tune it to, lets say down a full step to drop C, and think to themselves, "Oh my, I'm in drop C now, this is going to require me to restructure my playing style!"

That's the vibe I'm getting off the OP. That drop A magically is different from any other drop tuning, and has it's own necessity for a specified style.

It's just like somebody asking how to play a guitar that's tuned D-Standard. The answer is "Just like any other Standard tuning"

I think the OP is limiting the field unnecessarily by limiting it to drop-A, when he could very easily find some great stuff in other drop tunings that he could easily transpose TO drop A.

um... the thing about a seven is when you drop tune you still have 6 strings as opposed to five below the dropped string, and those happen to be in E standard. drop A when done on seven string guitar IS DIFFERENT. i can play brutal ass dropped riffs yet still solo and even play soft shit in E standard. when my band made the switch from sixes to sevens we had to rewrite alot of our shit that was originally written in drop c because the entire set up on seven is DIFFERENT.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pink freud

Reaction score
um... the thing about a seven is when you drop tune you still have 6 strings as opposed to five below the dropped string, and those happen to be in E standard. drop A when done on seven string guitar IS DIFFERENT. i can play brutal ass dropped riffs yet still solo and even play soft shit in E standard. when my band made the switch from sixes to sevens we had to rewrite alot of our shit that was originally written in drop c because the entire set up on seven is DIFFERENT.

1: Poster hasn't actually said in this thread how many strings his guitar has. Transposing music to different instruments is a completely different thing.

2: Tell me how Drop A would require a different style than Drop G. You can add fuck all strings to an instrument. It doesn't change the FACT that unless you venture beyond the frequencies that are tonally viable, a drop tuning is a root-fifth-root, and can be played just like any other root-fifth-root. It only becomes an issue when you tune so low that chords on those strings become too muddy to be heard well.

A tuning does not necessitate a style. Devin Townsend used to use (G)CGCGCE but now uses (F#)BF#BF#BD. He still plays like himself. He doesn't have to remind himself that he's in a different tuning, because its the same pattern of notes, just shifted down the scale.

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as how a band's style would be different in drop-A from any other dropped tuning...

Its just a string pattern, the key is the only thing that changes.

I find the tunnings heavily influence how I play.
I have my 6-string in dropped C and My 7-string in A. The styles that come off both guitars are substancially different.

raximkoron

Reaction score
Ehh, I tune to A-standard and our other guitarist is in drop-G. There are certain riffs that are much easier to play in drop, and certain riffs that he just cannot do being in that tuning (without severely improving dexterity and accuracy).

I don't really think it changes much in the sound department whether you play drop or standard or any other tuning. What matters most is what you have in your head, and what tuning makes it the easiest to play for you.

That's my :2c: on the subject.

atavism-dream

Reaction score
For some reason I always find myself severly limited playing in Drop-A, I just cannot seem to write any decent riffs in that tuning at all.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Whitechapel
Scar Symmetry
Lacuna Coil
Korn
Bloodbath
Spineshank
Slipknot

groph is right... Acacia Strain is G#.

klami

Reaction score
The Scarsick album by Pain of Salvation is in drop-A as I recall, hardly the same music as mentioned above, but still :)

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Slipknot tuned drop B on Slipknot, drop B and drop A on Iowa, Vol 3 was drop B again and All Hope Is Gone was drop B and drop A, same as Iowa.

Reaction score
^bring me the horizon's latest album is in Drop A#, older stuff was drop B

The acacia strain have used a different tuning on each album: 3750 = drop A#, the dead walk = drop G# and continent is in drop A. not quite sure what the debut was in, probably drop B.

backyardburial

Reaction score
Backyard Burial play in drop A. Check myspace. Not particularly known for inspirational quality tho...more just shit sound quality...

Tomo009

Reaction score
I find the tunnings heavily influence how I play.
I have my 6-string in dropped C and My 7-string in A. The styles that come off both guitars are substancially different.

This, in lower tunings I tend to play more complex death metal rhythms and octave up single notes whereas in lower tunings I tend to play thrashier stuff mostly on the low string.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
No, my arguement is that playing style shouldn't be affected if you are in drop A or drop D, or drop whatever.

A person shouldn't pick up a guitar that's in drop D, play for a while, tune it to, lets say down a full step to drop C, and think to themselves, "Oh my, I'm in drop C now, this is going to require me to restructure my playing style!"

That's the vibe I'm getting off the OP. That drop A magically is different from any other drop tuning, and has it's own necessity for a specified style.

It's just like somebody asking how to play a guitar that's tuned D-Standard. The answer is "Just like any other Standard tuning"

I think the OP is limiting the field unnecessarily by limiting it to drop-A, when he could very easily find some great stuff in other drop tunings that he could easily transpose TO drop A.

I play completely differently in Drop C from Drop D or Standard, Drop A even more so.

Daken1134

Reaction score
when i got my 8, its tuned in the same pattern but the shit i come up with on that as opposed to my 6 or 7 are NOTHING like,

xjasonhowellx81

Reaction score
^bring me the horizon's latest album is in Drop A#, older stuff was drop B

The acacia strain have used a different tuning on each album: 3750 = drop A#, the dead walk = drop G# and continent is in drop A. not quite sure what the debut was in, probably drop B.

the new album wormwood was in A on sixes but they also added an 8 on most of the tracks. im not sure what its tuned to though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')