What are some cliches in guitar dominated music that you can't stand?

• Thread starter DeathClown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
Someone should make a list of all these cliches and write a song that includes ALL of them. Now that would be amazing.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
So someone would scream breakdown before a huge pinch harmonic with bad vibrato, while the rest of the band chug (djent) some time signature rhythms outside the twelve tone equal temprement before a huge guitar sweep solo that goes on for five minutes before fading out into someone repeating the word 'Thall!'

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Bands that mix clean 'AIC-reminiscent' vocals with screams and growls. I DID NOT ASK FOR THE VEGETARIAN OPTION.

wankerness

Reaction score
There's a few spread through the Strapping Young Lad catalog. Shitstorm comes to mind.

EDIT: few seconds after here Strapping Young Lad Shitstorm - YouTube

Ah, so basically huge bass explosion sound effect that would be used in a trailer for something terrible like Transformers. Thanks, I guess I can't remember hearing that anywhere but in Devin Townsend stuff and I never really noticed it even there since he's got so much other studio wankery going on. Now I"ll probably get really distracted by it!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Bands that mix clean 'AIC-reminiscent' vocals with screams and growls.

Absolutely. I hate bands with vocalists who have two *disciplines*, apart from Opeth. Just drives me nuts that they have their *scream* sound and *clean* sound, and nothing AT ALL in between, where the grit, guts and genuine emotion should be.

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
I hate when a metal band uses the occasional chromatic/outside notes, syncopation and odd time signatures, they get labeled as "jazz-metal"

This is jazz metal:

I find it funny that every guitarist's soloing is called jazz or fusion influenced these days when their soloing is barely ever played on intricate chord changes or otherwise mode based.

In regards to music theory, I do hate when people pull the whole "oh you don't like it? maybe you should learn some theory, n00b" thing. I've been seeing people do that with Nick Llerandi's solo for the Mayones contest, and of course with various prog/technical bands. I know plenty of theory, dude, and I know how to play guitar. Just because I don't like something that's theoretically and/or technically impressive or complex doesn't mean I can't comprehend it, I just don't think it sounds good.

I find this perspective HILARIOUS.

I teach theory and composition, as well as advanced harmony.
Most progressive stuff sounds to me like a child who wants to sound sophisticated, so they go to a thesaurus and start inanely choosing complex up their words, so it sounds dense and complex.

Sorry, but "playing polyrhythms with jazzy harmony" isn't music. It's an exercise in regurgitating what 'cool theory' the writer knows.

There's a difference between 'jazz/fusion musicians who play metal' and 'metal heads who play fusion/jazz'..lol

:hbang:

Dan Halen

Reaction score
Power chords.

Jk.

Overusing the phrygian dominant mode.

Well, not an over use of it for me, but more or less stop playing it the same way every time. just fucking straight through the scale EVERYTIME. it's not a path you need to follow, it's a marker system so you can spice things up.

I mean you don't even have to use Multiple scales, just do sojmething different with it. Like After the Burial with "Cursing Akhenaten".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TZRXjipy06s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, maybe not everyone likes them but at least they try to be inventive with the stuff yuh know. and yah I know it's not all Phyrg Dom

WillVinson

Reaction score
When someone who can't play a solo/shred says "That guy is just paling scales". Well no ....ing shit!!! :shred:

3trv5u

tone whore
Reaction score
--Shitty deathcore singers. BMTH, Asking Alexandria, Behemoth, and all the other bands that give metal vocals a bad name.
nergal21.jpg

Did you just call this dude "shitty deathcore singer"? :lol:

Suburb kids with insanely expensive gear playing in a shitty metalcore band

DXL

Reaction score
I hate it when the bass is just like the rhythm guitar's bitch, like come on bassist don't just play the same exact thing he's playing in a lower octave, i wanna hear some steve harris or justin chancellor stuff

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
^Sometime that helps a lot though. Look at Meshuggah, without the bass doubling he rhythm it'd be terribly thin sounding. The bass miming the guitar make their sound HUGE.
Though I do agree it is a bit overused. In all of the songs I've recorded it's been this way, too inexperienced in bass playing to know what "works".

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
When someone who can't play a solo/shred says "That guy is just paling scales". Well no ....ing shit!!! :shred:

I hate when that actually happens, although more often than not it's actually a scale (singular) and they're just playing it in as many places as they can.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Breakdowns in anything '-core'

(except for the Acacia Strain, which basically is a breakdown only band :) )

Latest posts

')