What are some cliches in guitar dominated music that you can't stand?

• Thread starter DeathClown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Or Jason Becker.

Or Steve Vai.

Or Paul Gilbert.

Many, many shredders in fact... except Rusty Cooley. I would rather shatter my jaw on a paving stone than listen to his stuff.
You forgot Andy Timmons... Whom I've been told has no soul in his playing before the minute he started playing fast. :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't really know if this counts, but I've lately been really bothered by how any kind of heavy or aggressive music (I guess that counts as guitar dominated, for the most part) players are called closed-minded about their own style or about their tastes.

The two guys that taught me how to play guitar when I was a kid both insist I'll never "succeed" musically unless I start playing radio-targeted tunes. We clearly have a very different idea of what success is.

I'll admit I'm one of those types of people who can't stand most of what plays on the radio anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a wide variety of music, and I don't tell anyone they're wrong for listening to what they like.

Sad story: I've been involved in two CD releases in the last year, and most of my family and so-called friends (if they even know I have CDs out) couldn't make it more than half a song into it before saying they can't tolerate any more.

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
People always make stupid Hendrix comments when they see my year round tan and find out I play guitar. Not sure if this applies, but it's stupid and annoying. :lol:

There also seems to be a subset of psychics that know exactly what style of music you play by what your guitar looks like. They also annoy me.

"Oh, yer black Do you like Hendrix?"
BITCH NAW! Let me play you a song of my people...

By Testement.

That's usually when I flip every table in an establishment.

also, I'm SICK of people thinking that you have to be able to play really flashy leads to play metal. I like Riffs. They Groove me.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Ban in 3,2,1...:lol:

Back on topic: I think a sweet-sounding note with a soulful vibrato is worth more than a gazillion notes played on some Ibanez axe. Give me Santana over Becker or Malmsteen any day.

Becker played Carvins, and Malmsteen plays Fenders. :scratch:

Sorry, had to do it.

tedtan

Reaction score
Ban in 3,2,1...:lol:

Back on topic: I think a sweet-sounding note with a soulful vibrato is worth more than a gazillion notes played on some Ibanez axe. Give me Santana over Becker or Malmsteen any day.

Would it still count if that one sweet, soulful note was played on an Ibanez? :lol:

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
-yelling "GO" before a breakdown or new riff in the song
-yelling "breakdown" before going into the break down
-running out of ideas for a song so resorting to playing a main riff near the end but just a lot slower
-relying too heavily on low chugging with high pitched dissonants thrown in between them (not that you can't do that, but doing it too often lacks creativity)
-BOOOOOOM drum triggers at the beginning of riffs. I DO NOT OWN A PROFESSIONAL AUDIO SETUP IN MY CAR OR HOME. PLEASE STOP.

can't think of anything else at the moment.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
For me, it really bothers me when the bass is so low in the mix that you can't ever hear it. Unfortunately, this is the case with all but .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of metal bands, so I have to just deal with it, but it makes me wonder why everyone hates metal bassists so much.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
Would it still count if that one sweet, soulful note was played on an Ibanez? :lol:

Of course. See "Vai". That was just me poking fun at the fact that soooo many shredders endorse IBanez instruments (specially RGs!).

By the way, who the devil screams "BREAKDOWN!" before the actual breakdown? :S

Reaction score
For me, it really bothers me when the bass is so low in the mix that you can't ever hear it. Unfortunately, this is the case with all but .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of metal bands, so I have to just deal with it, but it makes me wonder why everyone hates metal bassists so much.

Trust me, most mixes have tons of bass in them.

Rotatous

Reaction score
The idea that the only way to be a great musician is to mindlessly shred. :squint:

wankerness

Reaction score

Trust me, most mixes have tons of bass in them.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are under the false impression that they can't hear the bass if it isn't like, separated as if it's a solo instrument and/or playing something totally different from the guitars. I'd say probably 50% of the modern-produced metal I hear has bass almost as loud as the guitars. That .00001% figure might apply to kvlt black metal/shitty death metal mixes though.

phantomnote

Reaction score
The idea that the only way to be a great musician is to mindlessly shred. :squint:

actually I am yet to hear anyone say this. I know its popular to be all like "playing fast isnt making music" and while thats true I've never truly heard anyone claim this.

However what I do hear is "playing shred-type stuff makes you a bad musician, 'cus its just playing a lot of notes instead of making a statement" which is just stupid -

')