What are some cliches in guitar dominated music that you can't stand?

• Thread starter DeathClown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redstone

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you can't shred if your slow playing sounds as good as it can possibly get. Vibrato is a deceptively huge part of that.

Speaking of that, just found a recent video with francesco fareri and he actually improved his horrible vibratos ! I was like.. OMG did he just slowed down his vibratos with a software :scratch: :lol:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
If I hear one more song about space I swear....

QFT.

I really don't care what your lyrics are about, if they're well-written. I can jive just as well with Misery Signals' often emotional, melancholy lyrics as I can with well-written, even if ridiculous, deathcore lyrics about chainsaws to the pussy, and how you'll bleed inside. The second you start relying on genre conventions, though, and not doing anything original or at least expanding on tried-and-true ideas, you've lost me.

sleightest

Reaction score
"Grunge sucks, grunge killed metal, Kurt Cobain sucked at guitar" etc....blah blah blah
I fucking hate those assholes. If you dont like it dont listen to it. Im sure if we brought Kurt back to life everyone on SS.org would shred him under the table and he would cry and kill himself again. Lets get the facts straight:
1. He was influenced by lots of punk and metal bands
2. Grunge bands went on to influence many metal musicians
3. His biggest priority in his songwriting wasnt to wank sweeps and tapping on stage with his guitar, if Kurt was going to masturbate on stage he would simply just actually masturbate on stage.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
grunge killed metal

Grunge did pretty thoroughly kill hair metal, and I for one is pretty satisfied that hair metal went out of fashion:2c:

Kurt Cobain sucked at guitar

Speaking from an objective perspective, he was pretty bad at guitar. He was an excellent songwriter, but guitar... He maybe should have left that to other people. Especially when he is compared to contemporaries like Mike McReady, Jerry Cantrell, or Kim Thayl.
What also is clear is that Cobain could not play while high, many can/could do that, but Cobain could not.

I also want to add a cliché in this vein:

People not understanding that Kurt Cobain was not the entire grunge movement.

Off_The_Heezay

Reaction score
There also seems to be a subset of psychics that know exactly what style of music you play by what your guitar looks like. They also annoy me.

This is one of the biggest reasons I bought a tele (other than them being fucking cool obviously) - the amount of people who come up to me after shows and say 'woah, I thought you were going to be an indie band!' is awesome.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
The whole idea of the "destruction" of music by modern artists. People have elevated this idea that modern pop/rock is going to destroy music to NWO levels of craziness. No one is forced to listen to Nickleback, they just happen to like it.

Coming from my perspective as a metal fan, I never got the whole red vs. blue attitude towards music. The Partridge Family didn't kill music, Kesha and company sure won't either.

great_kthulu

Reaction score
For me a big one is this idea of shredding vs. playing with feeling. Like, once you start playing fast, it's blasphemy to play a slow, "emotive" solo in the style of gilmore. It's really annoying. When people give me that attitude, I direct them to Shawn Lane!

Orsinium

Reaction score
I really dislike the whole "core" genre this includes all kinds of insert core here bands for example, hard, metal, death, crab, scallop, urchin, orc, melodic, wizard, poopy, brown, doo doo. After growing up listening to predominantly pink floyd and dream theater it's just not good. Also the I, IV, V, chord progression has been done to death and same with the opening riff to breakdown, to octave chord chorus, back to breakdown formula.

Orsinium

Reaction score
Also this isn't necessarily about guitar dominated music but music in general how people say who or what is killing the music industry, really the only thing killing the music industry is itself, most studios have refused to enter the "digital" age and need to accept that people are pirating their music and can easily make their own music, they have to learn to make money elsewhere live shows for example or just making music so good that people other than twelve year old girls want to buy it. Same thing is happening with movies and video games anyways.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
People who think its not cliche to start guitar cliche threads on guitar forums.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Not a guitar thing but when people say that there better than me becasue I play bass and they play guitar, and that I should just buy one because I like to use Distortion.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Learn how to do a f'n vibratos right, aka hammet god he sucks. It kills me and to much wah on solos, aka wylde and hammet. Anything that zakk wylde does he is so over rated. And bands that scoop all the mids out unless your dime put some mids in their. Every song does not need a breakdown just stop it. Djent i hate it all of it.

')