What are some cliches in guitar dominated music that you can't stand?

• Thread starter DeathClown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
What I really hate is when People judge you/your personality IMMEDIATELY after you tell them either what kind of music you like or that in the midst of other genres you like one they don't. Like if you say you like Metal they immediately see you as some sort of idiot, or if you listen to jazz/prog/prog-metal (I get the same reaction from all three) that your some kind of pretentious dick-mouth, or if you listen to pop music your some conformist, top-40 slave.

I also hate Elitists/Traditionalists in ANY genre saying that other genre's "SUCK" just because it's not what they grew up with or listen too. This mostly applies to older generations, but is not limited to by ANY means. I fuckin' get it, and I see it's not your bag, but SHUT THE FUCKING-FUCK UP!

-Don't tell me that Van Halen isn't good because he plays fast/plays blues scales ripped off of Clapton/is Hair metal garbage!

-DON'T tell me that Unearth is metalcore breakdown trash/too riffey/solos arent emotional/too many note shredshit

-Don't tell me that Periphery is fucking lame ass screamo bullshit/meshuggah ripoff/trendy garbage.

-Don't fucking tell me that Maroon 5 Is garbage pop music/ whiney and lame/ has no talent because they don't shred/only put funk and jazz in a little to make them sound more obscure to get better publicity

I LISTEN TO WHAT EVER I WANT! YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

Don't people realize there's multiple ways to play music, and that this is what preference is made of?

wankerness

Reaction score
GmXrma3.gif

Demiurge

Reaction score
This thread is a testament to how difficult it is to please ALL TASTES and/or biases :lol:

True, but no one should aim to please everyone. I'd think that a lot of people are here and have the tastes the have because they at some point became unwilling to accept whatever's mainstream and popular as the be-all and end-all, so it shouldn't be surprise that the opinion-expression continues here. As long as no one is being deliberately dickish or accusative, discussions like this are good things IMO.

I Voyager

Reaction score
So much bass drop hate in here! :lol:

Y'all need to listen to some Chimaira and SYL.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
True, but no one should aim to please everyone. I'd think that a lot of people are here and have the tastes the have because they at some point became unwilling to accept whatever's mainstream and popular as the be-all and end-all, so it shouldn't be surprise that the opinion-expression continues here. As long as no one is being deliberately dickish or accusative, discussions like this are good things IMO.

Couldn't agree more, if for anything else it's entertaining! :yesway:

flint757

Reaction score
I like being the only guitar player in my bands (and not because I have an ego or anything :ugh::lol:) because in the writing process it opens up the music a bit. I can't stand a wall of sound. It makes me come up with clever ideas/work around's and it allows the bass to come through the music better IMO.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
My band went around the wall of sound simply by the other guitarist being obsessed with teles, we simply occupy two different mid levels in the music:lol:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of dishonesty in favour of trying to be cool, macho, trendy or whatever. It manifests itself mostly in two different ways:

1) So many guitar-oriented heavy rock/metal bands today have fucking shit lyrics. They're about absolutely nothing. Either something boring and cliché or something nonsensical about quantum physics. There's very little story telling and honesty, people are either trying to sound cool or hyper-intellectual. I find most other genres (save from mainstream hip hop) to have more compelling lyrics most of the time.

2) Too obviously sample-replaced drums. I'm all for samples when they sound like a kit and blend well into the mix, but a lot of times it just sounds fake and makes the mix sound small. Even in the age of digital amp modelers being even more popular than tube amps, I still hear more "digital" sounding drums than guitars on records today.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Guys that think that since they have short hair, just in case we don't notice they headbang, they do it with a 45° body movement starting at the knees.

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
So much angst in this thread.

Well, why not? It's just like death metal.. You don't cut people into 1 square inch cubes, then make a soup out of them.. you just let it all out, and yer done! :yesway:

I'd also add to the 'annoying' collection - youtube comments in general. fucking douchebags :D
And i'd add 'BASS IS PLAYED WITH FINGERS' dumbshit

phugoid

Reaction score
Metal guys patting each other on the back about how "extreme" their "music" is. Bull. You might play with extreme gain or extreme hang-over, but you ain't no Stravinsky.

Metal guys complaining everyone else is prejudiced against metal, when:
1. Their album cover has a decayed female corpse hanging upside down on a cross.
2. The same dudes won't listen to anything else than metal (spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y).

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
Metal guys patting each other on the back about how "extreme" their "music" is. Bull. You might play with extreme gain or extreme hang-over, but you ain't no Stravinsky.

This reminds me of metal musicians with zero knowledge of music theory thinking they are making complex music just because it sounds like periphery.

Latest posts

')