What are some cliches in guitar dominated music that you can't stand?

• Thread starter DeathClown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Um... I was a 1 year old. I didn't even know what music was then. :scratch: Even still, I AM a pretty big Meshuggah fan and have been for the past 5 years. Why should the fact I wasn't listening to them when that album was released have any effect on whether im 'following the trend' or not?

Seems pretty unfair to be honest, I know a ton of Meshuggah fans my age who only started getting into them(through me) two, maybe even one year ago and consider Meshuggah as a partial influence. and I know they aren't following a trend.

Think you have taken my comment a little too literally mate, or mis understood who I am getting at, obviously if you were 1 when they came out with their first album then how could you get in to them until recently?? Clearly you have got in to them naturally and as a fan.

My point was aimed at the band wagon jumpers who 3 or 4 years ago would have despised Meshuggah but who now coz they are now seeing more mainstream recognition are now quoting them as an influence or or being a huge fan of in interviews. Just seems to be to me a huge trend now with metal bands that you have to "prove" how metal you are by the fact you "love" a band as technically and musically on the cutting edge as Meshuggah.... Same as post Grunge everyone and his mother was suddenly a huge Nirvana/Cobain fan!?!? Or that weird period when every shredder seemed to be suddenly a massive fan of Robert Johnson and the early blues?!!!!! WTF? Or the amount of people that bash Nu Metal, someone other than me was buying Nu Metal else hwo could bands like Korn sell 20+million albums? I don't have 500,000 copies of Untouchables??! Its the trend of bashing or embracing bands or genre's or whatever purely because its popular to do so.

Sorry if you thought I was having a dig at you coz you were 1 when a certain album came out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Just read through all 7 pages of this thread, might have to start a "what things do you actually like in guitar dominated music" thread :lol:

On a serious note, the only thing that bugs me is either constant dissonant chord breakdowns or when the vocalist sounds like his voice is breaking inbetween screams. I'm pretty chill with most things.

Last edited:

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
This annoys me, periphery and a few other band have a need for it and use it effectively..

This. The only reason I have a 3 guitar player band is out of necessity. When I started writing music for my project, there was too many things I wanted to do that couldn't be accomplished with 2 guitars.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
This thread has become more general now so I will say.
1. pentagrams
2. skulls
3. neon color (I saw a yellow Asking alexandria Tshit today)
4. upside down crosses outside of black metal
5. high swear to non-swear ratio (the less you swear, the more effective it is)
6. long pitch bends that say 'hey look! solo time!!'
7. bringing your left hand over the top of the fretboard (eruption people!)

Not a fan of Slayer, I presume?

slapnutz

Reaction score
Maybe he forgot the "r"?

Ali_Guitar.gif

...Yeah I got nothing.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I like being the only guitar player in my bands (and not because I have an ego or anything :ugh::lol:) because in the writing process it opens up the music a bit. I can't stand a wall of sound. It makes me come up with clever ideas/work around's and it allows the bass to come through the music better IMO.
Same here. My band actually has a pianist and a violinist as well so that adds another reason for one guitar only (inb4 Unexpect has 2 guitarists)

Demiurge

Reaction score

Like the term used for a scale laid-out in a specific position on the fretboard?

Like when you see a band who play ever single song in drop-D and the lead player slides their hand up behind frets 10-13 to play the solo and will not leave to play any notes outside of that position because they wouldn't be able to find the appropriate notes otherwise?

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Yeah, I get REALLY sick of defending my choice to use a pick on bass. I know how to play with my fingers, I just prefer the TONE i get from using a pick!!!

Dude, sorry but i'm calling :bsflag: on that. Everyone is prrrretty much in agreement that tone comes from playing with your FINGERS, not a pick.......man. It's a universal truth really by now is all I'm saying. :nono:

Ahhh i kid I kid. :lol: :hug:

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
Dude, sorry but i'm calling :bsflag: on that. Everyone is prrrretty much in agreement that tone comes from playing with your FINGERS, not a pick.......man. It's a universal truth really by now is all I'm saying. :nono:
Fuck you, I took it for granted bofore seeing the end :D

Slayer is basically staying the same that they have started from... Got bored with them, too repetetive...
And another thing which deserves not to be liked: complaining about bands changing they're styles..
It's like eating pasta for the rest of your already miserable life.. :eek:

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score

As a finger bassist I can say prefer the tone of a pick because of its volume and clarity. The only reason I don't pick is because I can do more with my fingers.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I actually don't know where to start with this question. But the biggest cliche in guitar music for me involves not spending enough time on the lyrics.

And I despise all Swedish melodic metal style harmonised guitars, I just find them so boring I can't stay awake, in all the bands of that style I've heard they're never done surprisingly, they never change key or do anything cool, just rubbish.

NovaReaper

Banned
Reaction score
I actually don't know where to start with this question. But the biggest cliche in guitar music for me involves not spending enough time on the lyrics.

And I despise all Swedish melodic metal style harmonised guitars, I just find them so boring I can't stay awake, in all the bands of that style I've heard they're never done surprisingly, they never change key or do anything cool, just rubbish.

i take it you have never heard at the gates before slaughter of the soul and think that opeth and in flames are death metal bands

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
And another thing which deserves not to be liked: complaining about bands changing they're styles..
It's like eating pasta for the rest of your already miserable life.. :eek:

This is sig worthy material!

')