What are some cliches in guitar dominated music that you can't stand?

• Thread starter DeathClown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
When people who can't shred say stupid things like "man...you can say so much more with just one note."

...ignoring the fact that BB King was playing one POSITION but many notes because of all that goddamn bending. :rofl:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krullnar

Reaction score
Metalcore, and most modern metal for that matter- all the superfluous notes in the riffs that are there just to make the part seem more impressive and complex. It's pretentious and annoying.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
OH. Dunno if this is necessarily applies to guitar dominated music, but I HATE when people hear a song with harsh vocals and automatically just call it "screamo". I even like some "screamo" music, but no gents, Arsis (just a random example) having screamed vocals doesn't mean it's screamo. :rant:

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
- Sweep picking the standard major/minor shapes
- Blast beats that last 4+ measures
- When people comment on instructional DVDs about how the guitarists playing is nothing but 'technique and noise'
EDIT: Rather, when anyone doesn't understand that there's more than 1 way to play the guitar

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
- When people comment on instructional DVDs about how the guitarists playing is nothing but 'technique and noise'

Never heard this but I'm sure I'd get a good laugh out of it...

Why the fuck else would you watch an instructional vid? I feel like you can't really teach someone to be musical per se, you can only give them the tools necessary.

Taking the artistic approach could take forever assuming the profesor and pupil are on different pages.

Addison90

Reaction score
I hate when a metal band uses the occasional chromatic/outside notes, syncopation and odd time signatures, they get labeled as "jazz-metal"

This is jazz metal:

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I can't stand the "guitar moves" bands do. Like when they bring the guitar up over their head then back down to correspond with the breakdown start.

Also, when a deathcore band or whatever wants to make the breakdown heavier, they just play that weird dissonant chug chord. Like the normal breakdown will be them chugging on a chord like this (7 string of course)

A-----2-2-2----2-2-2--2-2
E-----2-2-2----2-2-2--2-2
B-----0-0-0----0-0-0--0-0

Then they will keep the same pattern but just move the notes on the E and A strings down a half step like this and the drums will be half time now.

A-----1-1-1----1-1-1--1-1
E-----1-1-1----1-1-1--1-1
B-----0-0-0----0-0-0--0-0

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? It's so retarded.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
When a guitarist adds a solo to a song that DOESN'T require a solo forcing me to edit the solo out from that song making my day even more busier than it normally is... Stop it!

ras1988

Reaction score
Long soloing and or sweep picking for 28 mins straight :wallbash:

I think that joke has been up since the 80's I am surprised everyone didn't stop with that when Steve Morse came out with Tumeni Notes. Yes it is great to understand arpeggios, target notes, and following/playing with changes but some stuff was just milking it. It was probably some great mystery as to how some of these guys got those kinds of runs out in the 80's but now that there has been a massive proliferation of instructional material kids are able to do it pretty readily and abuse it like a tired old magic trick (totally guilty of doing this). Then comes the discussion of musical maturity, natural progression and development on an instrument. It may just take time to have everyone slowly grow through that and discover the proper use in a matured musical setting.

The other cliche that does get to me is the use of clean tones to mellow out a section and do arpeggiated patters that imply a particular chord progression. In metal, this has been done to death. Wouldn't it be innovative or somewhat refreshing to use tones in different context and create some kind of timberal juxtaposition? :wallbash: /rant

Govan Emmanuel

Reaction score
- Sweep picking the standard major/minor shapes

i think these guys are the only "sweep-pickers" that i find really interesting

their fretting patterns are a world of its own and represent a whole technical approach to the guitar, not just your typical repetitive basic major/minor/diminished sweep arpeggios

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
It pisses me off when people act like the only type of music that is "technical" requires constant shredding.

Reaction score
The Djent formula when done with no imagination or unique aspect.

mithologian

Reaction score
The fact that no one is happy with anything anyone ever plays.
Too busy, not enough notes. They're too lazy to learn more than just chugs. They're too pretencious and add too many notes....sigh :wallbash:

johnny_ace

Reaction score
great music shity singer...like you're listening and be like this sounds cool...then singing comes...welp im done...skip,

for me this is Disturbed fucking guy sounds like gorilla with a couch every fucking soneg or five finger death punch my friend couldnt understand why i didnt like them, then i told him because every break down the fucking guy has to talk or say something"poetic", two days later he tells me fuck now i cannot not notice that lol...

Experimorph

Reaction score
I hate when a metal band uses the occasional chromatic/outside notes, syncopation and odd time signatures, they get labeled as "jazz-metal"

This. Not that it really bothers me as I don't pay too much attention to genre labeling, but I just don't understand it.

I find it funny that every guitarist's soloing is called jazz or fusion influenced these days when their soloing is barely ever played on intricate chord changes or otherwise mode based.

More music that actually shares both metal and jazz characteristics:

Jazzamatazz

Reaction score
I'm wierd in that im really not a big fan of shredding and bands that are based on virtuoso guitarists. I MUCH prefer riffing. I'm not a big fan of Animals as Leaders, Mestis, alot of modern progressive music.

')