What are some good instrumental Metal bands?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leaper

Transient
Reaction score
Psychedelic gypsy-jazz instrumental metal = Avalanche of Worms.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. A lot of great stuff!

I have been trying to find the Octopus album CODA, but unfortunately it seems to be out of print.

Reaction score
Gordian Knot, Spastik Ink, Behold the Arctopus, Dysrhythmia..are some of my favorites. Also, I played in Canvas Solaris (We had a few well received Instrumental releases) and I am currently in The Universe Divide (Link in my signature) which is also instrumental.

Respect, Canvas Solaris is great and there's some seriously awesome stuff in those albums! :hbang:

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Respect, Canvas Solaris is great and there's some seriously awesome stuff in those albums! :hbang:

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words. Did you check out The Universe Divide yet? It's Gael (bass) and I (guitar) with another friend of ours that drums. Obviously not a direct substitute for Canvas but we have a similar approach to our writing/musical philosophy. You may enjoy it.

Also serious thanks to Santuzzo for the album purchase!

Skyblue

Reaction score
I'm detecting a serious lack of Liquid Tension Experiment in this thread :squint:

The ProfEscher

This is infamy.
Reaction score
Halcyon.

It's just one dude. He writes the music, plays all the instruments, and produces it himself. You can download his entire album from his bandcamp and it's pretty damn awesome.

Halcyon

Actually it appears to cost money now, but still. Awesome stuff.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure that dude posts on here.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Halcyon.

It's just one dude. He writes the music, plays all the instruments, and produces it himself. You can download his entire album from his bandcamp and it's pretty damn awesome.

Halcyon

Actually it appears to cost money now, but still. Awesome stuff.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure that dude posts on here.

Yes, he is on this forum :)

And I just purchased his album! :yesway:

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
... Periphery

[/
174876_204289166270172_4775936_q.jpg
]

tuneinrecords

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of friends who play in a band called Intense Men. They're pretty fn good. They're on Nacht Records. Some of those dudes are in another band called Moth Guts. Both are metal, but kind of jazzy too. Definitely original, that's for sure. Both bands are from NJ. I've seen them play a bunch at The Brighton Bar in Long Branch.

chronocide

Total Grind Hell
Reaction score
Classical music had 100% more brutal than anything around nowadays. They didn't need gimmick tunings to achieve it either. (low tuning 'increasing heaviness' is gimmick in my mind, alternate tunings for different purposes are cool though)

But to be fair, an orchestra does have loads of low end for that clout already, where an average two guitars, bass and drums band at concert pitch doesn't at all.

There are totally loads of shit-heavy classical pieces, particularly from the likes of Strauss, Wagner, Holst... Also stuff like Stravinski can be every bit as aggressive and abrasive as extreme metal, with that edgy, everything-is-about-to-fall apart vibe. Can't be bothered with twiddly baroque stuff, mind.

I absolutely agree with you on arbitrarily tuning down as an auto-heavy device.

On topic, I dunno if it's the kind of stuff the OP is looking for but there are tons of instrumental "post-" bands, obviously. Pelican and the like.

AlucardXIX

Is Encircle
Reaction score
Going to go ahead and be totally shameless and say my project(even though I don't feel it matches up to half of what's been mentioned) Encircle | Facebook

Dan Dankmeyer was already mentioned, that's another good one.

')