What are the best 1000$ - 1300$ range seven strings today?

• Thread starter necropsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Those RGA's look fantastic. Before I can suggest anything, what are the features you're looking for within your said price range?

necropsy

Reaction score
well it has to be non floyd rose (so fixed bridge)

its for metal ( i may use it on some cleans but thats the main thing)

i have other dimarzio pickups so i know thoes pickups will be good

i like how that one has just 1 knob and no tone knob - i never use a tone knob - so thats a plus but not required

just basically high quality guitar that i can play hard and fast on

jerm

Reaction score
^If you want a high quality guitar, get a used MIJ Ibanez Prestige for that price range.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
My suggestions:

Schecter KM7 MkII for pickups, stainless steel frets, Hipshot bridge, locking tuners, the list goes on. KM7 MkI would also be suitable if you prefer the finish to be similar to this RGA.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM7MKIINat

Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid. Active pickups may be a deal breaker for you, but similar in looks and specs to the RGA.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HRHC7TBB

I have a PRS SE Custom 24 7 string and LOVE IT! It is under your budget by a bit. The reason I'm suggesting this is because as a stock guitar, they sound great. But, they are also a great modding platform. I added a Hipshot bridge to mine (took some minor drilling), black Gotoh tuners, and Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups. With upgrades, it should easily fit in your budget if you enjoy doing mods.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECU247Bk?adpos=1t1&creative=105744828601&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CIHElP7_mM4CFYkehgod0kwHPQ

If modding isn't your thing, then I would say the KM7 would be the most solid competitor with this specific RGA. I feel it would be a better bang for the buck.

necropsy

Reaction score
Thanks - ill check thoes out -

iv never modded a guitar - is it hard to pick up that skill?

laxu

Reaction score
A base model Kiesel AM7 multiscale fits into that price range.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks - ill check thoes out -

iv never modded a guitar - is it hard to pick up that skill?

Not necessarily. Soldering is probably the hardest part, if you've never soldered before. Tuners are relatively easy. The Hipshot bridge required me to drill 4 holes into the body because the Hipshot is not a direct swap replacement. I had never done anything like that before, and it seemed rather daunting. But it was actually pretty easy. Research before modding is always key. And there are plenty of people around here who are good at that stuff. I don't consider myself an expert in modding at all.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Instead of the iron label series maybe look at the Prestiges

I got an RG752 and it is my favorite guitar I have ever owned by far, granted I haven't owned all that many super high end instruments. I got mine used for $900, and used the money I saved to get some pretty gnarly upgrades. Otherwise, they are $1300 new. Probably $1200 for the fixed bridge model.

Definitely enjoyed it more than the Premium and Iron Label Ibanez's I own/have owned.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
I'd probably have to suggest a PRS SE 7 string as well, the quality control in the SE line is really good, definitely better than any Ibanez that isn't Prestige level. Plus with the money saved You can get a killer set of pickups (I got the Pegasus/Sentient combo for mine, highly recommended). The other option would be to scour the used market and wait for a good deal to come up.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd probably have to suggest a PRS SE 7 string as well, the quality control in the SE line is really good, definitely better than any Ibanez that isn't Prestige level. Plus with the money saved You can get a killer set of pickups (I got the Pegasus/Sentient combo for mine, highly recommended). The other option would be to scour the used market and wait for a good deal to come up.

+1
I got my PRS SE off of Reverb brand new for about $250 below what retailers are asking for them. Reverb would be a nice spot to look in general. I've had lots of great luck there.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
well it has to be non floyd rose (so fixed bridge)

its for metal ( i may use it on some cleans but thats the main thing)

i have other dimarzio pickups so i know thoes pickups will be good

i like how that one has just 1 knob and no tone knob - i never use a tone knob - so thats a plus but not required

just basically high quality guitar that i can play hard and fast on

This is your best option:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rgd2127fxvcf.htm

Jujex

Reaction score
im ready to pull the trigger on this http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg...&cat_id=1&series_id=10&data_id=328&color=CL01

it has everything i want in a 7 string - but are there any other awesome 7 strings i should consider

tempt me with some other great 1k/ price range 7 strings

I can tell you really love the look of the RGA, I know that because I think it looks better than the Prestige models but when you play the 752fx you can feel the difference in quality specially the playabillity of it. THey do have a lot of different finishes and fretboard options for the 752FX though but I gotta say none of them are as lovely as that RGA.

I've never owned a Kiesel but they are USA made guitars. They seem great. The old Carvins certainly are.

IMO pick between a 752fx or a Kiesel.

dhgrind

Reaction score
a used ibanez prestige will save you like half that depending on the model.

RuslanK

Reaction score
With your budget, the choice among the used guitars is very big. In the first place I would consider instruments US or Japan made (Carvin/Kiesel, ESP, Ibanez etc).

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
$1K-1300 would very easily get you a Carvin DC727, DC700, or TL70 with some decent upgrades or a more conservative A7 or DC7X :2c: other than the "essential" upgrades like stainless frets and a tung oiled neck ($100 total for both) most of the available upcharge options are either just aesthetic or wood choice.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
A used RGD2127FX would easily be in that price range. They're absolutely killer guitars!

Latest posts

')