What are the chances of my tech to ruin my Charvel DK24 if he does a "front scoop" like the M-1 1987 RI?

• Thread starter diogoguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my Charvel DK24,.. so much that I already got really nice pickups for her. One thing I wish it had is just a little more fret access clearance. Just a bit more.

I was thinking about sending this one to a very reputable tech (GMW in Glendora , CA) to do it. He has done some pretty serious body mods, so maybe he is suited for the job.

Still, I think my ask may be a little more complicated than most: I want the front scoop not to change the overall "silhouette" of the guitar (that is, if I projected a "shade" under the sun of the guitar, it would have the same shade as the original). Since this one does have a pretty deep "scoop" on the back, it doesn't take too much for the back scoop to "meet" the front scoop and changing the overall silhouette.

Thoughts? Should I trust the job for it?

(you might ask: why not just get the LTD then? Well, I really like the charvel... it already has fancy pickups, stainless frets and a custom 24.75" scale from a new, luthier made neck. I could potentially just get the LTD... but.......)

Here is what I'm looking for: LTD '87 RI 24 frets
1706667911351.png

And here is my guitar:
1706667839390.png

1706667881608.png

1706667862430.png

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Blending the paint in would be mission impossible. If it is your forever guitar, sure go nuts.

You're already in deep with the special neck, how bad could he stuff it up? Probably a high chance you may not be happy with it. But if it's all about ergonomics, who cares what it looks like?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
GMW is as good as they come. But the problem you'll have is that a front scoop can't be very deep because the body is already thin there because of the back scoop.

You could let GMW give it a shot and just by another body if you don't like the outcome. Not really cost effective but most guitar projects aren't.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love some sounding board from this forum. Thanks. I know he is capable of refinishing the body and making it look good at least paint-wise, but I think you're right - the back scoop is so deep that trying to do a front one has a big risk of looking very ridiculous.

I guess that means I'll leave it then.

p.s.: Idk why this back scoop exists in the first place... I never thought it helped in any way. I've had it in Suhr, Warmoth... pretty useless IMHO

GMW is as good as they come. But the problem you'll have is that a front scoop can't be very deep because the body is already thin there because of the back scoop.

You could let GMW give it a shot and just by another body if you don't like the outcome. Not really cost effective but most guitar projects aren't.

The risk Vs reward isn't really worth it - you aren't going to get that much more access if you aren't changing the silhouette so I personally wouldn't bother

mehegama

Reaction score
Does it have a scoop on the back already? That is what i see in the pic. If there is there is no way you can do that there is not enough wood and it will also look atrocious. Also I don't think it will help you that much access wise.

mastapimp

Reaction score
I’ve never found scoops to help with fret access, they are more of a visual thing in my experience, so I wouldn’t bother adding a front scoop here. Especially with the back scoop (which I also find to be unhelpful for fret access) already in place.
Agreed. Unless you're trying to hit the 24th fret with your index finger, it looks like the mod is pointless and purely aesthetic.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, if Lee can't do it, it can't be done.

I don't think it's advisable, though.

Darkscience

Reaction score
I don't think there is a chance, there is a guarantee. If you do want to do it, I have been told in the past to seek out a man by the name of Luther for guitar work. He is pretty famous around the internet you will find him mentioned often, but that is the guy I would maybe trust.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I’ve never found scoops to help with fret access, they are more of a visual thing in my experience, so I wouldn’t bother adding a front scoop here. Especially with the back scoop (which I also find to be unhelpful for fret access) already in place.
Agreed. The only real aid for access I’ve found on Soloist and similar bodies is shaving the back of the lower horn, similar to the Misha sig and RGD.

')