What are the chances of this ESP/E-II ST-1 be my "the one"?

• Thread starter diogoguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I rotated a few guitars and I learned the hard way why some guitars aren't "the one" for me (reasons below)... the E-II ST-1 seems to check all of the boxes ... anyone tried it, and if so, how did you like it?
How do you feel about this "semi-contoured" heel join of the bolt-on ESP/E-II ST1??

(I think I would eventually swap the pickups to something hotter... but that's about it)

Guitars I sold (Note: I'm lefty):

GuitarWhat I likeReason it's not "the one"
ESP Eclipse Hot pickups, nice fretwork and ebony fretboard, nice neck profileForearm contour uncomfortable (to me)
ESP HorizonHot pickups, ebony fingerboard, floyd rose, nice neck profileForearm contour uncomfortable (to me)
Ibanez RG1570LVery ergonomic, nice sound, excellent tremoloPlain looking (black)
Ibanez AZ2402LMostly ergonomicNeck too thick for a superstrat

1687974136751.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
You seem picky. With that being the case, you should try playing one to make sure that the forearm contour is comfortable, that the guitar is super colorful, and that the neck fits your hand size.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
As a lefty, you have it deep.

But let start from the start: Whar are your desired specs and your budget?

Ibanez RG5320L or JIVA10L are my pick. Or a black SG.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a lefty, you have it deep.

But let start from the start: Whar are your desired specs and your budget?

Ibanez RG5320L or JIVA10L are my pick. Or a black SG.
Great question! Budget: <$3,000 after all mods

Desired specs (by order of priority)
- 24 frets that are accessible
- forearm contour
- <= 8lbs in weight
- made in japan/usa
- A tremolo (2point 510 or floyd style)
- HSS or HSH routing

Extra credit if (by order of priority)
- Has stainless steel frets
- 43mm nut
- 16" radius
- Ebony or rosewood fretboard
- A finish that is not black or 3-color sunburst
- HH configuration

The Ibanez RG5320L would be perfect. I have seen some heavy ones (9lbs+), but I have seen some as light as 8lbs exactly. I couldn't buy one fast enough though

If I were to get this ST-1 and is "the one", I'd eventually have it refretted and add hotter pickups for the bridge and the neck.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Build a guitar out of parts? Should come in under that and be exactly what you want.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Build a guitar out of parts? Should come in under that and be exactly what you want.
maybe, I just don't know who could build something like it.
- Warmoth could be one, but the "24 fret" guitar they build is really a 22 fret guitar with an overhang, which doesn't work for me
- Sully could be another option, but man, $2.7k is hefty... . if it becomes my "the one" great... if it is not... then I'm in trouble
- Musikraft does make a true 24 fret body and neck... but it's not a nice contoured heel join,... so I'd have to sand it round and then figure out who can paint the body for me

lost_horizon

Reaction score
The answer is always yamaha, which is about US $300 so you can spend $2700 on other toys and the rest of your life saying expensive guitars aren't worth it:
RGX-620J
- forearm contour
- <= 8lbs in weight
- made in japan
- A tremolo (floyd style)
- HSS or HSH routing

- 43mm nut
- HH configuration
620.JPG
6202.JPG
6203.JPG
6204.JPG

Or there is a really nice caparison Delinger 2 for sale for $2k:
del.JPG
del2.JPG
del3.JPG

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
maybe, I just don't know who could build something like it.
- Warmoth could be one, but the "24 fret" guitar they build is really a 22 fret guitar with an overhang, which doesn't work for me
- Sully could be another option, but man, $2.7k is hefty... . if it becomes my "the one" great... if it is not... then I'm in trouble
- Musikraft does make a true 24 fret body and neck... but it's not a nice contoured heel join,... so I'd have to sand it round and then figure out who can paint the body for me
I've only heard good things about Sully, if he's taking orders right now.

If you want to go to the Musikraft route, Pat Wilkins or Lee Garver (GMW guitarworks) depending on whether you want figured tops (Wilkins) or graphics/solid colors (GMW) are the paint people you want.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Great question! Budget: <$3,000 after all mods

- forearm contour
- <= 8lbs in weight
- made in japan/usa
- A tremolo (2point 510 or floyd style)
- HSS or HSH routing

- Has stainless steel frets
- 43mm nut
- 16" radius
- A finish that is not black or 3-color sunburst
- HH configuration
Suhr modern

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Alternative:

Charvel DK24 - MJ Series or MIM
- You'll have budget for a pickup swap and/or stainless refret if you want

In ages past, a Jackson SL2H would fit the bill. Even used now they're often over $3k. Yikes. An older MIJ soloist would work though, and are built just as well. This one at the Music Zoo is still available, and mislabeled as a USA Select:

Again, you'd have budget to get it refretted if you really wanted to.

edit: Oops, I guess it's not HSS or HSH. Could do an American Series SL3 though.

You also could get lucky and find a deal on a used Suhr Modern.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Order a Balaguer?

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you have that kind of money, 3k, and seem to like your AZ a lot besides the thicker neck you really getting in high end Charvel/Suhr territory for production guitars.
Look at what most of the Ibanez AZ players were playing before their Ibanez sponsorship, many of them were playing Suhr.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you have that kind of money, 3k, and seem to like your AZ a lot besides the thicker neck you really getting in high end Charvel/Suhr territory for production guitars.
Look at what most of the Ibanez AZ players were playing before their Ibanez sponsorship, many of them were playing Suhr.
Thanks for the input. I actually do have a MIM Charvel dk24. My only two color options were gloss black or satin pink, since I'm lefty

I took the black. I play it every day and enjoy it a lot ... i put suhr pickups in it and love it even more

The ONLY thing I'd upgrade is maybe refretting to SS and refinish to something more exciting.
But man, we're talking putting $1000 in upgrades on a $1200 guitar. If it becomes my "the one" , great... Will it? There is a big chance, yes

Oh and I do have a suhr custom made for me. It's perfectly built and on paper is "the one". But, the lower horn is too close to the fretboard and I hit my knuckles 1% of the time. It doesn't bother me 99% of the time... But the 1%...... Hahahaa

Last edited:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just going to start right with the neck. If you felt the neck on the ibanez AZ was too thick you'll feel the same about the ESP I think as well. They measure at the same thickness (20mm at the 1st fret and 22mm at the 12th) just the ESP will be a U shape vs an oval C shape on the ibanez. If you want thinner than that I'd suggest maybe a USA made Charvel HSS guitar of some kind, Dk24 perhaps.

')