What are the most Lightweight 7 strings?

evilsweeps

Reaction score
Hi there, So I've been doing some searching around the internet to try and find a very lightweight quality 7 string. I've had my eye on the Ibanez S series models because I am a fan of the wizard style neck, but I figured if anyone could give me some input on this subject it'd be you guys. Thanks!!!

-E

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If they ever release it, the Parker DFMV7 is probably the lightest 7-string you'll find, at around 6.5LB. Unfortunatly, I don't see them in stock, and they're supposed to be in the $3000 - $4000 area.

Othewise, most Ibbys are pretty light. My RG7321 is my lightest guitar.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
The Ibanez S series are pretty light by all accounts, and the Buz McGrath ESP LTD signature is based on them so might be worth looking into.

evilsweeps

Reaction score
If they ever release it, the Parker DFMV7 is probably the lightest 7-string you'll find, at around 6.5LB. Unfortunatly, I don't see them in stock, and they're supposed to be in the $3000 - $4000 area.

Othewise, most Ibbys are pretty light. My RG7321 is my lightest guitar.

thanks! yeah 3K-4K is tad bit more then i'm looking to spend at the moment, 6.5 lb is pretty goddamn light.

I have a RG321MH kicking around and that too is my lightest guitar. I always assumed S series were lighter than RG's, am I wrong to think this?

underthecurve

Reaction score
I think one of the lightest 7's you'll find is a strandberg. Either full custom, or the production model from S7 come in at 1950g or 4.29lb.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd suggest Strandberg, too... But since there's quite a long wait time and the fact they're probably over his budget...

evilsweeps

Reaction score
I'd suggest Strandberg, too... But since there's quite a long wait time and the fact they're probably over his budget...

Was just over on their website and yeah that would be nice haha, unfortunately I'm in the $800-$1200 range, but this is all good knowledge to have for down the road

Thanks to all that have posted!

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score

There's one model for sale on ebay at $4300. It's the silver finish.

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
Most basswood guitars a really light but basswood guitars aren't all that "vibrant" sounding on their own, although most lightweight guitars aren't all that vibrant either.

The ibanez s-series is probably your best bet for the price range.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Ibanez S series are typically very light, lighter than the RG 7321's I've played. LTD H 1007 is also very light.

These are the lightest 7's that I've played (haven't played any Parker's or Strandberg's though).

Bouillestfu

Reaction score
RGD2127z is as light as a feather. As are most Ibbys anyways considering they don't use mahogany :p

7-even

In the 7th Heaven
Reaction score
The Ibanez RGD2127Z is anything else but not lightwight. The most lightwight 7 string I played is a Conklin GTG 7 T and a Jaden Rose Series II -7.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
every Jackson COW 7 string I've had has been very light, and they are made of mahogany and have an awesome neck on them

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
My RG7 is pretty goddamn lightweight but all its parts (down to the neck and body) are aftermarket, so that probably has a lot to do with it... :shrug:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think what we really need to know is why exactly you're looking for an ultra-leightweight guitar? Most 7 strings really aren't much heavier than their 6 string counterparts. Is it because of back problems or something like that?

')