What are the most overhyped guitars?

• Thread starter nightlight
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
Any signature guitar. I don't understand the sometimes huge threads you see on any forum when one is released, versus any almost exactly the same standard model.
I mean, buy it if you actually like the guitar, but i don't understand the clamouring for a guitar just because another human being has one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Gibson LP Custom and I'll say Gibson is overpriced and overhyped. If you get a good one, they're incredible - but for $4k... I'd rather buy a custom shop guitar or two.

While I don't like headless, I've heard from a lot of people that they've helped with backpain so you can't really fault them for that. I do think they're ugly as fuck though.

A Gibson Custom was made in a custom shop. Their Custom Shop Customs, Made to Measure, and Murphy Lab guitars are $5-10k. The same range as most other customized custom shop guitars.

When you say "custom shop" guitar Im assuming what you really mean is a customized guitar. I get why. But that doesn't make it any better than a non customized one. Not only that but the majority of a time when you customize a guitar to your personal tastes it hurts resale time and money recouped. YMMV

tl;dr oldest zombie meme around these parts... "Gibson is overpriced".

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah I can easily say Gibson is the most overhyped shit brand I've ever given money to. Seriously fuck that boomer stuck in the middle century, charge an arm and a leg for a product that gets smoked by an import version of itself ...

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I can easily say Gibson is the most overhyped shit brand I've ever given money to. Seriously fuck that boomer stuck in the middle century, charge an arm and a leg for a product that gets smoked by an import version of itself ...

upload_2021-8-6_9-41-26.png

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, as far as Strandberg goes, I’ll give you the price point. Especially since I’m considering getting the Ibanez Quest 7 string model when they drop to try out.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Any Ibanez with a Wizard neck. Shit that neck profile is overrated to me. :lol: Then again, I prefer the Gibson '50s profile and pre-SLS Schecter "baseball bats" over a Wizard.

Adieu

Reaction score
Exactly! Les Pauls are for big burly people with Duck Dynasty beards who use a logging chain for a strap and have gigantic hands that can only manage to make pinch harmonics as they grasp at the strings.

So... that's an enthusiastic endorsement then?

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Aristides totally deserve all the hype, as they have been extremely consistent with their builds in terms of fit/finish/initial setup. I've never seen anyone really complain about Aristides other than some people who feel that they're too neutral sounding. I actually love that because they're a blank slate and the pickups can fully shine through.
I own 2 and they're really fantastic guitars.

2 of 'em?!! I could barely afford 1/4 of one Aristides guitar! I envy! Lucky you!

I do not have anything to share about an overhyped guitar as I have not experienced owning an expensive guitar. The most significant ownership I have is my PRS S2 Standard 22 that I even got used to fit my frail budget. It was worth what I paid for - to me. It was also worth what I spent for the mods to what it is now. For me, I think it is the best way to go to get to the guitar you really want. Get the best base guitar you could get, and then mod it to your liking.

However, I appreciate this guitar because it streamlines my dream guitars.

I want to own an Aristides H/06 someday, somehow.

Adieu

Reaction score
While I don't like headless, I've heard from a lot of people that they've helped with backpain so you can't really fault them for that. I do think they're ugly as fuck though.

Headless makes sense... for very specific needs.

If you constantly travel, ride a motorcycle, live out of your truck, or are otherwise dimensionally challenged, it's probably the best thing since sliced bread

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Gibson Les Paul, honorable mentions go to the other crap guitars that Gibson came out with around the same time.

Considering the LP was designed in the same era as the Stratocaster, the LP looked old-fashioned from the moment it was born. The Strat was like a guitar from the future, the LP was firmly stuck in the past.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Fender and Gibson are the big (obvious) two for me. I'll never forget the first time I played a proper $5000 Les Paul in the "high end" room of a shop where I used to live, and while it was at least somewhat set up (decent action, strings that were still usable and not just guitar store rust), I was left thinking "This is it? This is the guitar that people strive their whole careers to play?"

Like someone above me said, it's very mid-century clunk.

As for Fender, I was prepared to be blown away coming from a Squier strat and I'd say if you put the same pickups in my Squier it would hold it's own compared to most Fenders I've ever played. There's no apparent jump in quality when I use Fender guitars, they just don't feel like $2100. Same with their basses when I got in to bass. I wanted a Jazz bass after watching hours of Jaco playing, went to the store to play one, and walked out with an Ibanez Soundgear.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Fishmans. They're good, but they're just... good. Everybody and their mother has a signature Fishman set now, and they're all just good. They're just pickups, and the whole "2 voices thing" is fun for like 5 minutes and then you set it up to the tone you want and that's it, just like with every other guitar. They're solid pickups and decently priced but I still feel they have been hyped up beyond belief because of the dual voices thing that has very limited practical application.

EDIT: I realize the OP was asking for guitars but everybody's already said Gibson lmao so I'm throwing guitar accessories into the mix

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Fishmans. They're good, but they're just... good. Everybody and their mother has a signature Fishman set now, and they're all just good. They're just pickups, and the whole "2 voices thing" is fun for like 5 minutes and then you set it up to the tone you want and that's it, just like with every other guitar. They're solid pickups and decently priced but I still feel they have been hyped up beyond belief because of the dual voices thing that has very limited practical application.

EDIT: I realize the OP was asking for guitars but everybody's already said Gibson lmao so I'm throwing guitar accessories into the mix

I can agree with this. I had 2 guitars I liked them in (Moderns in an Aria V, Classics in a Tremonti SE) so I was riding high off them for a year. Then I got bored of one of the guitars (the Tremonti) because I felt like the low end was a bit too big at times. The V still sounded great, though. Tried other Fluences in other guitars and yeah, just a whole lotta meh.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok controversial opinion, but Prestige Ibanez stuff. I'm not an Ibby fan at all, but I did own a prestige for a while and it was pretty good but just boring. I loved the neck and trem but it just sounded kinda flat and uninteresting without any features to make it really versatile or fun. I've played others since then and they're just really good super strats but that's it. Nothing that really makes me want one.

I also don't really like non-90s/80s Jacksons. Modern ones are also boring and don't have the cool factor of all the unique parts the custom shop used to use. Also, the price any more????? Nope.

')