What are the most overhyped guitars?

• Thread starter nightlight
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
To me it is definitely Gibson, especially the LesPaul. Don’t get me wrong, the guitar is iconic and looks nice but when I see how much you have to pay for a standard production model….
….and then compare it with the price (and quality) of a production Mayones model, which is hand made….
The Mayones play in another galaxy compared to that.
My Gibson is 15 years old, cost $600 brand new and is better than every Mayones I've ever touched. And I've played some pricey Mayoneses.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DjEnTboy010001

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Headless. God they look ugly as fuck. Fanned fret too. How the hell do you fret a barre chord on the first fret?
I own one and have no problems playing barre chords on any fret, infact, i find it easier to play them on a fanned fret than its straight counterpart. In regards to headless guitar looking"ugly as fuck", thats subjective and keep your opinions to your self

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can almost tell where someone is based on their opinion of Mayones. They're such a better option in Europe still. I know for awhile they were trying to bulk up their dealer footprint in the US, and help make pricing more competitive, but it just hasn't happened yet.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
In regards to headless guitar looking"ugly as fuck", thats subjective and keep your opinions to your self

nonono.gif

Ross82

Reaction score
You can almost tell where someone is based on their opinion of Mayones. They're such a better option in Europe still. I know for awhile they were trying to bulk up their dealer footprint in the US, and help make pricing more competitive, but it just hasn't happened yet.

It's a shame because from what I've experienced of them they're fantastic guitars but the NA pricing on them is insanely inflated IMO, especially the used market. The same seems to be the case with Aviator guitars which I admittedly haven't had a chance to try and would love to but its hard to make the blind leap at that price.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah I want a Mayones super super bad, but I just can't justify the N/A prices. Its like owning a Mesa in Europe.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I have no personal stake in the stealth guitar culture war going on since I've got "modern" and "classic" models and earnestly enjoy each. That said, I find it less bothersome for classic designs to continue being promoted as guitars that are good to play than the same fucking superstrat- itself no Spring chicken- heralded year after year as the vanguard of innovation.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I'm from Europe. They're overpriced here too.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I wouldn't say they're overpriced. They're around the same price as PRS, EBMM, Jackson USA.
And every PRS and EBMM I've played has been a far better guitar than every Mayones I've tried, and crucially haven't bed lifeless planks.

The best Mayones I've played was a 7 string V and everything else wasn't worth the time of day. They also have the worst, most plastic gloss finishes I've ever touched.

Ross82

Reaction score
And every PRS and EBMM I've played has been a far better guitar than every Mayones I've tried, and crucially haven't bed lifeless planks.

The best Mayones I've played was a 7 string V and everything else wasn't worth the time of day. They also have the worst, most plastic gloss finishes I've ever touched.

Man, you must have the worst luck in trying out guitars. Gloss finishes are grotesque on any brand IMO.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

I currently own two Mayones and sold the third.

One is a Regius 6 in negative blackburst with Juggs. The burst top looks like a photo veneer and not a particularly good one. It does have the finished back and neck so that looks great. It is a very sterile dead sounding guitar. So yeah, uggo face but a nice backside.

The other I still have is a Regius 7 with the red pore stain or whatever they call it from Axe Palace. It was stupidly expensive for a stock guitar - 2am drunk purchase :lol:. It has BKP Impulse pickups and it sounds great for heavy stuff but not for anything else.

The one I sold was a NAMM (2016 IIRC?) Setius GTM7 in purple pore/stain. Fantastic looking but it honestly played and sounded no better than my Loomis which is why I sold it.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own one and have no problems playing barre chords on any fret, infact, i find it easier to play them on a fanned fret than its straight counterpart. In regards to headless guitar looking"ugly as fuck", thats subjective and keep your opinions to your self

This is an opinions thread. I had one that clearly rubbed you the wrong way Djentboy. Don't like it, stay off the Internet.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Headless. God they look ugly as fuck. Fanned fret too. How the hell do you fret a barre chord on the first fret?

This is an opinions thread. I had one that clearly rubbed you the wrong way Djentboy. Don't like it, stay off the Internet.

Well, I enjoy head.

YMMV

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The one I sold was a NAMM (2016 IIRC?) Setius GTM7 in purple pore/stain. Fantastic looking but it honestly played and sounded no better than my Loomis which is why I sold it.
Yeah this exactly. The Setius always struck me as looking like a Schecter Loomis already.

Also USA Schecters are cheaper than Mayones and better in literally everyway.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Anything that pretends to be a "better" classic, or "inovations" that didn"t really made it to be widely successful is overhyped to me.

')