What are the most overhyped guitars?

• Thread starter nightlight
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He wasn't any later than the expected "small shop custom delay" when he outed himself as a bigot. The Nolly run was a behind the most behind at that point, but he's now almost a decade behind on two 8 string runs. He's a shitty person for a whole bunch of reasons and has no self-awareness of that fact.

Did @elq ever get their guitar?

Wait, the guy who refers to himself as "Master" might lack self-awareness? Whodathunkit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Jeez... 2021

The guy owes some people guitars they paid him to build 10 years ago, but it's the grumbling about people's sexual preferences that FINALLY gets him in hot water

I have no problem with this.

The hot water is from 2014.

But also this is the case. I recall people complaining he was behind, but it wasn't as bad as it is now.

It's one thing to be a bigot (fuck him for it for sure), it's another thing to use that bigotry against 2 of the most beloved people in progressive rock/metal.

Vik already had a bad rep before then. He was late on many builds, taking deposits to go on vacations, building in-stocks to sell at inflated prices.

And this. Like I said, there was some stuff about him being off with builds. If anything the homophobic outburst helped put a spotlight on that stuff as well.

nightlight

Reaction score
Interesting. So other than the bigotry, there was also a problem with delayed builds. I guess I'll cross Vik off my list of builders to further investigate.

I remember how Emperor cabs had similar problems after they trashed Jim Marshall's cabinets after he died. And wasn't there a pedal builder who also got into trouble after posting something against the looting during the rioting over George Floyd's death?

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
And wasn't there a pedal builder who also got into trouble after posting something against the looting during the rioting over George Floyd's death?

I believe that was Fulltone, happy to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure I recall people saying they would no longer use their OCDs.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Yeah, screw Mike Fuller and that Fender guy especially.

Right up there with Clapton in not understanding their place in music history.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Jeez... 2021

The guy owes some people guitars they paid him to build 10 years ago, but it's the grumbling about people's sexual preferences that FINALLY gets him in hot water
he's lucky he spewed mouth garbage in 2014 and not 2021

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
I believe that was Fulltone, happy to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure I recall people saying they would no longer use their OCDs.

Yeah, Fulltone got into trouble from such remarks at the time. ie- Guitar Center and Reverb also stopped stopped selling that stuff.
Similarly, there's another smaller scale pedal builder called Greenchild Amplification who followed not too long after with his own brand of self-destruction on Instagram and other social media fronts due to making remarks that were just as awful, tonedeaf, and moronic, if not worse. The latter got zucc'ed for awhile, but last I heard he's back with another social media account spewing more of the same dumpster-fire type material.

Solomon Monagle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mayones - they make really good guitars and the QC is excellent, but they're not the otherwordly, mana from heaven guitars that people worship them as. Spend 4000+ (Australian) for a used Mayo, spend less than half that for a used ESP Horizon and get the same build quality with a more comfortable neck.

Also Bareknuckle pups - overpriced, tinny shite.

guns_of_minerva

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Exactly! Les Pauls are for big burly people with Duck Dynasty beards who use a logging chain for a strap and have gigantic hands that can only manage to make pinch harmonics as they grasp at the strings.
Or Adam Jones!

I don't think Gibson's are hyped at all, in fact I remember for most of the 2010's they were shit on big time.

Exhibit 1:

RBFBXRECHP-Finish-Shot.jpg

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/Firebird-X/Specs.aspx

My fav feature is every string has it owns DI.

Exhibit 2:
gibson-g-force-tronical@1200x900-696x522.jpg

And the finally:
Gibson try to make amends from the Firebird-X and instigate a PR disaster

These brilliant business dissensions (plus plenty more) cause Gibson into go into administration.

Honorable mention:
maxresdefault.jpg

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Anything made by Gibson or Fender - overpriced and stuck in the past (other brands incorporated 50 years of innovations that Gibson and Fender have largely shunned in favour of being "vintage").

Headless guitars apparently are great for people with back pain, but for the most part are overhyped for looking cool (despite actually looking ridiculous), so are mostly just a dumb gimmick imo.

Ross82

Reaction score
Mayones - they make really good guitars and the QC is excellent, but they're not the otherwordly, mana from heaven guitars that people worship them as. Spend 4000+ (Australian) for a used Mayo, spend less than half that for a used ESP Horizon and get the same build quality with a more comfortable neck.

Also Bareknuckle pups - overpriced, tinny shite.

Wow, I'm surprised at this. I've owned a lot of ESP's over the years and I couldn't say any of them compared to my Mayones for build quality, not to say they were bad but definitely not to the same level. Oddly enough I've also recently been using BKP pickups in place of the EMG's I'd used religiously for over 20 years and was very impressed with them as an alternative, especially in a passive pickup.

Out of curiosity which Mayones/BKP did you have?

RPF13

Reaction score
To me it is definitely Gibson, especially the LesPaul. Don’t get me wrong, the guitar is iconic and looks nice but when I see how much you have to pay for a standard production model….
….and then compare it with the price (and quality) of a production Mayones model, which is hand made….
The Mayones play in another galaxy compared to that.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything made by Gibson or Fender - overpriced and stuck in the past (other brands incorporated 50 years of innovations that Gibson and Fender have largely shunned in favour of being "vintage").

I feel like folks who say this just don't keep up with the brands and only think of the reissue/VOS stuff vs. the whole product catalog.

Not to mention in Fender's case, they tend to offer certain, more contemporary specs through sub-brands.

I'd say no mainstream guitar company has innovated as much as Gibson or Fender, and not just in the early days but even in the last couple decades.

Have all those ideas been successful? Of course not, but that's how innovation works. You try something novel and with purpose and hope it pans out, it usually doesn't, for a lot of reasons.

Just in the last two decades we've seen multiple attempts at hot swappable pickups, plug and play modular electronics, ethically and sustainably sourced woods, alternative materials, built-in digital and hexaphonic pickup schemes, hardware with greater user adjustability, adjustable scales, continuation of the transposing trem, new types of low impedance pickups, and plenty more. That doesn't even include mainstream application of multi-scale and headless.

')