What are you scooping these days?

• Thread starter Exiterrr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Exiterrr

Reaction score
Got mud? Where are you guys cleaning up.

Depending on the mix of course, but I've been dipping a lot of 170-190 range along with 220-275ish. Sometimes it's a pretty big dip too. Maybe 10dB in some cases.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickLAudio

Reaction score
Maybe 10dB in some cases.

tumblr_m4fzj1CNI51qjhelzo1_500.png

haha but on a serious note, I highpass to clean up mud. Kick ~30-50Hz, Bass ~60-80Hz, Guitars ~100-120Hz. I find doing a small 1-2dB dip at 1K on guitars helps them sit better in the mix. If a track is boxy or dull, i'll usually look to cut anywhere from 250~450Hz.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
I tend to make a 1-4dB dip in the 700-750 area, 1-3 dB on 250, and roughly about 8-9 on 100hz

Then again I really have no clue as to what I'm doing and what would sound best for my mixes. All I know is that when I fiddle around like that it does tend to sound a bit better :D

Lokasenna

Reaction score
I don't do much scooping, as it were, but I'm definitely notching more than I used to. Usually somewhere around 200 on my guitar bus to kill any woofiness that the multicomp doesn't get, and then a couple up in the 4-10k range for icepick highs.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Got mud? Where are you guys cleaning up.

Depending on the mix of course, but I've been dipping a lot of 170-190 range along with 220-275ish. Sometimes it's a pretty big dip too. Maybe 10dB in some cases.

Across your entire mix, or just the guitar bus?

I generally DON'T put any EQ on my master bus - if it doesn't sound right there, I try to fix it upstream on the individual tracks.

On guitars, depending on the part/rest of the mix I'm usually high-passing fairly high anyway (100 to sometimes as high as 200 hz, give or take - I usually use the high pass on the Sonitus channel strip plug, which is unlabeled, and just raise it by ear, but when I've tried to A/B it with a pure EQ, that seems to be the range) and letting the bass cover the low end, so scooping at 170-190 and again at 220-275 would be sort of counterproductive.

Bass, I tend to do the two-track thing with a clean DI low-passed to 250-300 compressed to hell and back, and a high passed distorted/grit track cut off around 5-600, so there's a natural hole there anyway for the guitar's low mids, but accordingly you don't really want the guitars to be overpowering below 250 or so.

')